Gear Review: Dorcy L.E.D 41-4235

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Review: Dorcy L.E.D 41-4235

Ok so it's been awhile since I have done any gear reviews, and I promise more will come.

So I admit i'm a bit of a flashlight/torch snob. I have a fine collection of extremely powerful high end, even some programable flashlights. Ranging from HID to 900 lumen LED's

The problem with all of them is they go through battery power very quickly do to being able to light up the entire night. Your average high power light that I own may run 90-120 mins.

I wanted something light weight, small, that could afix to my back or belt and have a LONG run time. Also wanted something that used a very common easy to find battery unlike some of my exotic lights.

This is where the Dorcy LED light comes into play.

I don't see any other name on the package except for a re-order part number or 41-4235 on the back. But you should be able to identify it by looks alone.

I Purchases this model for I believe $9.99 at Dicks Sporting Goods

A Heck of a buy if you ask me.

So the stats:

Cost $9.99
    # of LEDs=9
    Estimated Run Time: 40 Hours
    Uses: 3 AAA batteries
    Package Claims:
    Claims it can take a 3 foot impact or drop
    Claims it throws a beam for 10 Feet
    Has a belt clip

Description:
    The light is forest green
    Is a mini angle or L shaped light
    Has a rubber booted Single mode push button switch
    Has a an excellent plastic belt or molle clip with a hook on the end (important to me, as it can't very easily come off

Observations:
    Fits great on my molle packs, clips to any molle loop of belt of about an inch or less in width.
    Seems to be rather tough and well built. Clicky swith works well and has a very positive click to it.

Testing:
    Length: Appox 4.2"
    Lux: 57,500

Complaints:
    My only complaint/concern at this point is the lack of o rings, which I will try to remedy.

My intended useage:
    with 40 hours run time just with crappy alkaline batteries, i'm hoping for even more run time out of higher mah rated batteries.
    Right now I have it clipped to the shoulder straps of one of my packs to provide low light level extended use night navigation.

Note: pics coming
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Diesel; 07-12-2009, 11:51 AM.
    WHAT IF THE AMERICA YOU KNEW, WAS ABOUT TO CHANGE?

The best thing you can do to support the site is pass it on to your friends and fav sites like other forums, facebook, twitter etc. Let people know about us! :)

few more images
    Attached Files

The best thing you can do to support the site is pass it on to your friends and fav sites like other forums, facebook, twitter etc. Let people know about us! :)

Comment

I too am a big fan of LED flashlights. They afford both longer battery and bulb life. However I quickly moved away from the LED type bulbs shown in Diesel's Dorcey Brand flashlight to CREE LEDs. CREE LEDs can do the job of many conventional LEDs and then some with just a single bulb. The older LEDs do offer really good run times. Some of the problems with Surefire type flashlights were short battery life and run time (draw). Additionally the Surefire bulbs were very expensive and bulb life was not long. These bulbs would also easily fail if people would play with their flashlights (on/off on/off etc). Unknowingly people were rapidly changing the filaments temperature affecting the temper. Consequently the bulb failed.

I have replaced the bulbs in my Mag Lites and Surefire flashlights with Cree LEDs. Dorcey does offer flashlights with CREE LEDs but I'm not a fan of them as they mostly offer them in a 3 or 4 AAA battery pack configuration. This setup is more prone to failure over the long haul or rough usage. They do also offer aircraft grade aluminum housings in their line of flashlights.

Over a year ago Wally World carried some Rayovac Brand LED flashlights. They were affordable, well constructed (aluminum housings), used common very affordable AA batteries and incorporated the high output CREE LED. I should have bought more of them than I did because they quit selling them.

I have found out that they are now being sold under the remington name. Model number RM2AA-B. They are a 3 watt 120 lumen flashlight with a 3hr run time and 50,000 hr bulb life: http://www.remingtonlights.com/rm2aa.html

For the budget minded consumer/survivalist this offers an inexpensive alternative to the costlier flashlights. I use them all the time because they are cheaper to operate from the battery cost standpoint of the surefires which utilize the costlier CR 123 type batteries. They have been reliable and have never let me down. Many companies are realizing the benefits of the CREE LEDs and are now offering them as alternative to their current line. I have retained some of my older LED flashlights because they offer a longer running time as Diesel eluded to. I kept of of these running for over 24hrs and it was still producing a very useable beam of light. Hope this helps.:)
      Last edited by Bayou Blaster; 07-12-2009, 01:18 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Comment

right agree with most of it, but this light is to serve one purpose, run time.

Which a single cree generally won't offer in typcial configurations found.

I have P7 lights, and even beter beta technology...

But i wanted something with a very low draw for run time, plus an angle head for hands free operation aside from a headlamp

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel View Post
          right agree with most of it, but this light is to serve one purpose, run time.

Which a single cree generally won't offer in typcial configurations found.

I have P7 lights, and even beter beta technology...

But i wanted something with a very low draw for run time, plus an angle head for hands free operation aside from a headlamp
          Totally agree see my last edit.:)

Comment

This is some very useful information. Thanks Diesel for posting this. This light is something even I can afford and I will buy this as we have a Dick's Sporting Goods store here.
            Your opponet got stronger today, did you?
            {{unswydd-Of One Purpose}}

Comment

Working...
            X