Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Still smells like sulphur inside. Should be harmless.

Leave a comment:

• kenno
    replied
    Yes these are the containers for personal decon kits, which used to be a porous bag full of treated talcum powder, that were issued with gas masks. I think the chemical is rather benign unless taken internaly as it was meant to be used on human skin as well as clothing.
    Last edited by kenno; 10-18-2008, 06:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by Rustyshakelford View Post
    The label says they were decon wipes. Should not be too dangerous. Plus, all the dangerous stuff is now in my dishwasher, waiting to contaminate my wifes bread pans.
    I had a real chance to run one of these through the paces yesterday. I decided to use one to hold my high dollar digital camera with Zeiss lens. Needless to say, I dropped it into some drilling mud with a nice slick of crude and salt brine mixed in. Needless to say, it held up fine. It did not clean up too well, but everything I own is soaked with crude and salt brine anyhow. It now matches my cloths. I am going to buy another lot of them. I suggest them to anyone wanting some serious water/oil/salt proof hard containers.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by Diesel View Post
    ww thats a heck of a deal then!!! but you gotta wonder what was in them!

The label says they were decon wipes. Should not be too dangerous. Plus, all the dangerous stuff is now in my dishwasher, waiting to contaminate my wifes bread pans.

Leave a comment:

• Diesel
    replied
    ww thats a heck of a deal then!!! but you gotta wonder what was in them!

Okie Dokie. My bath time was completed with the dry pouches full of TP. I can say that they both turned out dry TP. I can say that these will be a valuable addition to my stuff. I also really like the built in metal clips. The writing on the box states that whatever used to be in these (Decon Packets) are poisonous and toxic. There are a lot of fancy latin names for the chemicals involved, but the containers appear clean. I did notice a mild sulphur smell when I opened the containers, but have since ran them through the rinse cycle of the dishwasher. Yes, my wife busted me doing that. And yes, I am sleeping in the spare room tonight.

I got five of these for $18.00, and used a $10.00 off coupon to remove the shipping charges. Thats about $3.50 each. Well worth the moola.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Okie Dokie. My bath time was completed with the dry pouches full of TP. I can say that they both turned out dry TP. I can say that these will be a valuable addition to my stuff. I also really like the built in metal clips. The writing on the box states that whatever used to be in these (Decon Packets) are poisonous and toxic. There are a lot of fancy latin names for the chemicals involved, but the containers appear clean. I did notice a mild sulphur smell when I opened the containers, but have since ran them through the rinse cycle of the dishwasher. Yes, my wife busted me doing that. And yes, I am sleeping in the spare room tonight.

I got five of these for $18.00, and used a $10.00 off coupon to remove the shipping charges. Thats about $3.50 each. Well worth the moola.

Last edited by Rustyshakelford; 09-26-2008, 07:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    LOL i think the forum software would have automatically banned you and deported you to mexico if u had done that

Or posted the photos on hunkysurvivalist.com !!!

Leave a comment:

• Diesel
    replied
    LOL i think the forum software would have automatically banned you and deported you to mexico if u had done that

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    LOL at your commentary, really look forard to the pics, and the review and final verdict, let us know! Thanks!
    Just an FYI. The pics do NOT include me bathing with the alleged water tight pouches. Sorry to have gotten the women folk's (or Mick's) hopes up.
    Last edited by Rustyshakelford; 09-24-2008, 06:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Diesel
    replied
    LOL at your commentary, really look forard to the pics, and the review and final verdict, let us know! Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Beat you to them. I just talked myself into them and bought a set. I will report back when I get them. Of course, I bought a couple more mags for my Saiga, and a cool set of Bundeswehr jackets with the Iron Eagle. I can rarely get away from the Sportsmans guide for less then $100.00. Thank the powers that be I bought that membership a while back, and had a coupon.

Those evil Sportsman's guide people. WHY oh WHY to they have to sell only the stuff I really want and need?
    Ok, I got the pouches in today, and another (one of WAY too many Saiga 30 round mags). I have not fiddled with the pouches yet, but will do so in the next couple of days. I will get some photos, and I will put some wadded up toilet paper in one and set it in the sprinkler, and some wadded up TP in the other and sink it in the bathtub for a while. A while back I took a bath and had a water tight tube with me in there, my wife caught me. It would have been easier to explain that I was cheating on her rather then explaining why I was taking a bath with a water tight tube full of toilet paper. Go figure.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    When I lived in the DFW area, I used to love CTD, but alaz, I am 6 hours away nowadays. I take what I can get, where I can get. I also loved Omahas, and would also set up a table at the Mesquite Gun show and sell reloading stuff. The gun shows are a great place, sometimes, to get stuff also.

Leave a comment:

• das
    replied
    Very true that they do bundle nicely.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Guess it is a matter of perspective. Out here in the hinterlands, I cannot get anything except by internet or mail order. Sometimes, also, you have to look at the quantity. On the surface this looks expensive

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=336769

Until you realize you are getting 6 or 15 depending on what you order. A lot of these items are multiple pieces. In fact about half of them are.

Leave a comment:

• das
    replied
    I want to like them for the same reasons. They often have real unique stuff that being a geek I am drawn toward. When I browse through their items though I am just struck by how crazy their pricing is with items tending to fall into $14.99, $29.99, $49.99 or big $299, $499, $799.

This makes me realize that their pricing is based upon VERY healthy mark-ups instead of approaching any cost/worth analysis. The quality is often good but so are other surplus wholesellers if you are careful.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X