Top Rated Sleeping Bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Rated Sleeping Bag

I have heard alot of good thing about this compact and very effective and efficient sleeping bag system. Anyone have any personal feedback on it?

Recon 3 Seeping bag

http://shop.navyseals.com/recon-3-sleeping-bag-540.html

Probably the best sleeping bags in the world are the Army's modular ones. They have a waterproof shell, as well as extreme cold weather and a moderate weather bag in a cinch sack. You can usually get them about 100 bucks off ebay or surplus stores.

Comment

Welll I'm not so sure about that, army bag is 71/2 lbs lol this recon 3 is 27 ounces and folds up i'd say half the size or less

def worth looking into, if anyone can find the manufacturers website let me know please

Found this additional info

NATO STOCK NO 66-146-06-76
      * 2 Season Bag in one
      * In use by US Armed Forces, Malaysian Army, Australian Military
      forces, Cyprus special Operations Group, SOG,s Scandinavian
      etc
      * Zip in zip out mosquito net
      * 60g/m2 DuPont® Thermalite micro filling **
      * Extra layer of DuPont® filling at chest area for extra warmth where it
      is needed
      * Weight approx 1300 grams
      * Size 240 x 80 x 55 cm
      * Inner Shell 210 T/ Rip stop nylon
      * Outer shell 210 T/ Rip stop nylon
      * Baffle circle foot inside and out
      * Inner and outer hanging tabs for washing and drying
      * Re-enforced at bottom with 210D nylon oxford p.u. coated and up to calf
      (so you can sleep with boots on)
      * All seams binded
      * Two way double slider heavy duty No 8 Spiral zip
      * Anti snag zip with Velcro tab closure
      * Draw cord and barrel lock in hood
      * Temp rated - 5 oC
      * Shaped Hood for extra comfort
      * olive or auscam
      * waterproof 2000g/mm 100% oxford material extra layer on rear
      keeps the moisture from rising up from the floor
      * Flat filled not quilted, means no cold spots **
      * Packed in waterproof spider stuff sack (18 x 16 cm)
      * Pure silver ultra thin micro fibre layer in filling offers anti-bacterial
      properties as well as increased thermal properties **
      WHAT IF THE AMERICA YOU KNEW, WAS ABOUT TO CHANGE?

The best thing you can do to support the site is pass it on to your friends and fav sites like other forums, facebook, twitter etc. Let people know about us! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel View Post
        Welll I'm not so sure about that, army bag is 71/2 lbs lol this recon 3 is 27 ounces and folds up i'd say half the size or less

def worth looking into, if anyone can find the manufacturers website let me know please

Found this additional info

NATO STOCK NO 66-146-06-76
        * 2 Season Bag in one
        * In use by US Armed Forces, Malaysian Army, Australian Military
        forces, Cyprus special Operations Group, SOG,s Scandinavian
        etc
        * Zip in zip out mosquito net
        * 60g/m2 DuPont® Thermalite micro filling **
        * Extra layer of DuPont® filling at chest area for extra warmth where it
        is needed
        * Weight approx 1300 grams
        * Size 240 x 80 x 55 cm
        * Inner Shell 210 T/ Rip stop nylon
        * Outer shell 210 T/ Rip stop nylon
        * Baffle circle foot inside and out
        * Inner and outer hanging tabs for washing and drying
        * Re-enforced at bottom with 210D nylon oxford p.u. coated and up to calf
        (so you can sleep with boots on)
        * All seams binded
        * Two way double slider heavy duty No 8 Spiral zip
        * Anti snag zip with Velcro tab closure
        * Draw cord and barrel lock in hood
        * Temp rated - 5 oC
        * Shaped Hood for extra comfort
        * olive or auscam
        * waterproof 2000g/mm 100% oxford material extra layer on rear
        keeps the moisture from rising up from the floor
        * Flat filled not quilted, means no cold spots **
        * Packed in waterproof spider stuff sack (18 x 16 cm)
        * Pure silver ultra thin micro fibre layer in filling offers anti-bacterial
        properties as well as increased thermal properties **

Darn it. I hate the metric system. Can anyone translate that for me?

Comment

LOL

1 ounce = 0.0625 pounds

27 oz = 1.68749 lb
          OR 1 lb and 11.00 oz

The best thing you can do to support the site is pass it on to your friends and fav sites like other forums, facebook, twitter etc. Let people know about us! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Aftermath View Post
            I have heard alot of good thing about this compact and very effective and efficient sleeping bag system. Anyone have any personal feedback on it?

Recon 3 Seeping bag

http://shop.navyseals.com/recon-3-sleeping-bag-540.html
            Yeah, I have some personal feedback.

It's not very warm in real cold; it's definitely no good at 0-degrees C. That's freezing to you Yanks. It is acceptable in the low 60s as long as you don't get it wet.

It loses about 30% of its loft after the first wash; more with subsequent washings. It may or may not even survive its first trip through the washing machine; I have yet to see one come out without stitching coming loose; I've seen 3 catastrophically fail in a Whirlpool washing machine (mine).

Leaving this bag in the compressed state, or repeatedly compressing it for storage, will cause it to lose a significant amount of it's already meager loft in a very short time.

Save your money and get a Wiggy's. Not that mine is much of an endorsement, but they are the only manufactured bags that I use. Mine have been through winters in Alaska, the Yukon, Siberia, and Chukotka. You will find more HSLD guys on cold-weather ops carrying privately purchased Wiggy's bags than everything else combined. Wiggy guarantees his bags for life and he actually means it.

A hundred bucks for the U.S. issue modular bag is about 80 bucks too much. They are unsuitable for the environment for which they were intended.

Comment

uh which bag were you speaking about the recon or the us army bags?

So you have personally owned the recon or the us army one? which one?

Comment

The last sentence was in responce to forever_frost. Everything else was about the Recon-3.

I didn't own a Recon-3, but I did use this bag on a few occasions. My group networks with another group. This other group bought a dozen Recon-3 bags. I rolled with them on some FXes, and their QM issue me this bag 4 different times over the course of 7 months. 3 different bags; 1 bag issued to me twice.

The lowest temp. I experienced in this bag was 40-degrees, F., and the Recon-3 was flat-out cold. I'd hate to have to use it at freezing temps. You'd be better off using it to stoke a fire. The Temp rating is way, way, way off. It is comfortable in the low to mid 60s. In the high 50s, you'll need a windbreak and about 6-inches of insulation in the ground. I have been more comfortable at lower temps just using shroud panels, a debris hut, or a basha with a wool blanket and a Thinsulate poncho liner.

The quality is just not there. Within the one-year, warranty period, the group had to return 5 of these bags for replacement. Within 18 months, all of them had failed, including the 5 replacement bags. Arktis does not pro-rate the warranty for the new, replacement bags. Once you buy it, 1 year is all you get.

If anybody has a hard-on for lightweight, packable bags, I've had excellent results cramming a Wiggy's Ultra Light into an ITW Travel Bag. Not as small or light as the Recon-3, but it works.

U.S. issue sleeping bags:

I have used the E.C.W.S.S. (NSN 8465-01-309-2681) and the M.S.S. (NSN 8465-01-395-1154) in late fall through winter in Montana, Idaho, B.C., and Alaska (upper, central, and lower). I would never willingly do so again. I would never take one to Russia. The insulation sucks. The construction sucks. If anybody tells you that you should cover your sleeping bag with a Gore-Tex bag in sub-freezing temperatures, you shoud shoot him in the head because he is trying to kill you. These bags are acceptable inside of a cabin or other weathertight shelter; they are completely unacceptable as stand-alone bags in a survival situation or military environment. Every asshole involved in the development and procurement of these bags should be court-martialled. I have been safer and more comfortable at worse temps. with a bedroll made out of furs, and one made out of wool blankets, a linen sheet, and tarps.

A hundred bucks for the M.S.S. is ****tarded.

Wiggy's rocks!
                Last edited by Mick; 09-29-2008, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Appreciate the info.. but man you seem like an angry person lol

Comment

I get that a lot. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel View Post
                      Appreciate the info.. but man you seem like an angry person lol

Someone needs to switch to decaf.

Comment

http://wiggys.com/category.cfm?category=6

I have had great experiences with Wiggy's bags. Specifically the FTRSS (flexible temprature range sleep system. Basically it is 2 bags that combined give you comfort to -40F. Not that I have ever needed that, but during a freak winter storm in the Uwharrie National Forest it saved my arse :eek:

I also like made in the US stuff.

That being said, this is a HEAVY bag to have to hump. If you are interested in some for Ultralight bags, I'd look at the Mountain Smith stuff. Lots better for hiking up hills!

YMMV

later,
                        ZA

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to
                        beat you to death with it because it is empty.

The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

Comment

Forgot about them, I had heard they made great stuff

Originally posted by Zombie Axe View Post
                          http://wiggys.com/category.cfm?category=6

I have had great experiences with Wiggy's bags. Specifically the FTRSS (flexible temprature range sleep system. Basically it is 2 bags that combined give you comfort to -40F. Not that I have ever needed that, but during a freak winter storm in the Uwharrie National Forest it saved my arse :eek:

I also like made in the US stuff.

That being said, this is a HEAVY bag to have to hump. If you are interested in some for Ultralight bags, I'd look at the Mountain Smith stuff. Lots better for hiking up hills!

YMMV

Comment

Sleeping Bags

I used to work for a backpacking company & tested all their gear, including sleeping bags. All worked good for the 1st few days, then the insulation started loosing its loft & got colder. When I tried a Wiggy's for a month, I bought one. I have had it for 10 yrs now & I would not trade it for any different manufacturers bags. Just wash in the washing machine is all the care it needs.

Mine is the -60 degree Antartica, 6.5 lbs. Well worth it & can be used for hypothermia bag. Its the last bag I will have to buy ever. They are costly, but what isn't that is high quality.

Comment

I have used many 'quality' bags over the years and found that they do break down rather quickely if you use them on a regular basis which ruins thier insulation value. I no longer back pack but I do horse pack and I have found that several wool blankets with a sheet in a 7X16 piece of heavy cotton canvas is extremely warm and breathes quite well.
                              Needless to say this is heavy bedding 25 pounds or so and it needs to be kept dry but I have slept on the ground in northern Nevada during December, minus 5 degrees or so and kept warm. I think that was a 6 blanket night!
                              The road to serfdom is paved with free electric golf carts.

Comment

Working...
                              X