Announcement

Collapse

Survival Warehouse

Please check out our Sponsor Survival Warehouse!

They are dedicated and devoted to providing the best Survival & Preparedness Gear available. They have been around for decades and really excel in the Long Term Food Storage Category.

See more
See less

My BOB Thread. (Long but I think worth a read)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been laying low for a little while but always looking, prepping, trying, practicing, or repacking. (Aren't we all!)

I noticed several people on the site using FireSteel products. I really like starting my fires by means other than lighter and match so I wanted to give their products a try. I ordered a couple different products and was excited to try there "soft" magnisium. Sometimes with the Doan's or issued block I have a heck of a time shaving the block and keeping those shavings in one nice pile.

When my order arrived it was short one steel. After a quick email my missing steel was on the way arriving quickly with no questions or hassle. (Thanks, Ron!) I swapped out the black para cord for orange on a couple of the items. Figured it went well with the fire theme and its easy to spot if dropped.

I'm very pleased with all the products, especially the magnisium, both the block and the rods. I now have another way to make fire even if my kit gets wet. The magnisium shaves down like butter. It was very easy to make a small pile on a cotton round, (not cotton ball.) The Firesteel striker worked well as both an edge for shaving the block and for creating a nice shower of sparks.

Fire has been achieved first time every time with the piece of kit. The rods will definetly be dummy corded in a pants pocket.

Well, for me, the action is the juice.....I'm in.

Comment

• Ok, I thought I was done prepping when I secured a set of the “self defense bottle caps.” (The orange thingys)

Well…….maybe now, here it is boys and girls. The AMK Backcountry Intimacy Kit 2.0!

The kit is packed in one of their UL kit bags and contains; 1 waterproof heavy ply resealable bag, 3 lubricated condoms, 2 water based lubricant packets, 4 compressed towels, 4 moist towelettes, 1 tinted resealable disposal bag, and 1 biohazard sticker.

I suggested they add non-lubricated condoms and petroleum based lube packets for their dual use in the backcountry. Maybe an instruction sheet on waterproof paper, with plenty of pictures!!!!!!!!!

Now I feel prepared!

Comment

• If I had not seen you post it, I would have not believed it, "Intimacy Kit". LMFAO!

RLTW!
        LH

Comment

• WOW! I will be printing this thread out and referencing it! It's one of the most complete posts I've seen yet, and I love the pics; I'm a newbie and it helps me to put items with names. It also shows how far I have to go. I will be signing up for some first aid/cpr classes this summer, and investing in gear a little at a time. Question: how do you have it organized at your home? Do you rotate out items as needed to keep them in repair and use them? And what other classes would you recommend for someone new to this? I have extensive veterinary experience (okay, not medical, but it's better than nothing!) I hunt, fish, make jerky out of the deer, and I'm working on figuring out smoking fish. My husband is handy and good with outdoor stuff.....whatever you have time for. Thank you for this really wonderful post-we appreciate it!
          This kitten has claws......

Comment

• hford, thank you for the kind words. So glad you found some of the info useful.

As far as gear at home I went against my better judgement and posted a couple pics near the bottom of Pgs.14/15. I rotate food, water and medical supplies but I'm not sure if you mean gear to. I do not baby my gear but I do try and maintain a "professional" relationship with it. It takes care of me and I take care of it. When home from an outing I try to keep with my military training, meaning weapon first if I had one, gear and equipment next then me. I always thuroughly dry everything, check it over and repack it or store it properly.

Again thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mags View Post
              hford, thank you for the kind words. So glad you found some of the info useful.

As far as gear at home I went against my better judgement and posted a couple pics near the bottom of Pgs.14/15. I rotate food, water and medical supplies but I'm not sure if you mean gear to. I do not baby my gear but I do try and maintain a "professional" relationship with it. It takes care of me and I take care of it. When home from an outing I try to keep with my military training, meaning weapon first if I had one, gear and equipment next then me. I always thuroughly dry everything, check it over and repack it or store it properly.

Again thanks!
              If I may say, you really have a lot of stuff! Im jealous! :) I have become quite a "gear queer" (forgive me, but its what my husband tells me) and I enjoy your posts! Its nice to see you on here!! I tend to baby my stuff, but it could be because I am just starting to collect, or maybe cause I am a woman?? Again, thanks for the informative posts, and I appreciate the pics!!
              If the zombies chase us, Im tripping you!!!

Comment

• PART I

Driving home from the store I heard an alert on the radio. Something about mandatory evacuations to FEMA shelters being set up and possible quarantines. I was still driving on a main thoroughfare when I saw the first Police barricades going up stopping all traffic.

I pulled off into a shopping center parking lot and parked my vehicle under a light pole. I tried to raise my family via cell but no joy, system is “down.” While topping off food and water from my vehicle kit I grabbed my GHB and cross loaded gear from the bag to my person. This gave me room to carry 3L of water and add an Eton radio and USB cord from my vehicle kit. My GHB is all about redundancy. There are two or three ways to do everything in there. I threw the GHB over my shoulder and headed off to E&E home cross country. Approx distance, 4 miles, weather sunny 92F 85% humidity. (A regular kick in the pants!) 4 miles doesn’t seem that far but when you’re trying to avoid all contact movement can be painfully slow. Thank God I know the area and was able to top off my water containers while moving!

I knew I was in for an overnight in the bush so I picked a point ¾ of the way home near a water source as my camp. From my camp I could move to an area approx 500m away where I could observe a hi traffic volume main highway connecting two urban centers. Figured this would be good for collecting intel.

Rain was my primary concern plus with the friggin’ heat so all I set up for shelter was a poncho lean-to. I oriented it into the prevailing weather. I padded the ground with foliage unrolled my Thermo-Lite bivy and tried to rest while seriously multi-tasking. I was grabbing a bite, pushing water, trying my phone, and scanning freqs on the Eton radio. Still no cell service and only the same announcement on all the radio frequencies. Blah blah blah, mandatory evacuations, lock downs, and quarantines (including my suburb) blah blah blah. I connected my cell to the radio and cranked away charging it while I lay resting.

I was long out of water so at dusk I moved down to my water source, a small creek that was DRY except for small pools here and there. I topped off my containers. Boy I wish somebody was along to provide overwatch, I feel totally exposed! Back up at camp I stayed up for an hour past dark, tried the cell & radio again then went to sleep. Even though I drank all that I had and refilled my containers with this heat and humidity I can feel a dehydration headache coming on as I drift off. NOTES: The heat and humidity did not help at all but the Mainstay Bars were moisture sucking chalk balls! Ground padding is like firewood, when you think you have enough, get more! Using my shirt to gather foliage worked great. In the heat it was paramount I work smart not hard. F#%K I hate nats!

Rest my ASS! I was up every half hour trying to drink or piss, had a pounding headache to. Then got chilled and crawled in the bivy. That was like sleeping in a vagina! It wasn’t the bags fault. With the humidity I just never dried. Finally I got up and made a red Lens headlamp run to top off my water containers again. That’s 14L of H2O and I know I’m dehydrated! This is gonna be a long day……..

(Shots to and from my water hole)

When dawn broke I was already up. I tried the radio & phone, ate and drank, packed then moved off to observe the highway. The pounding headache was still there but the Jelly Belly Sport Beans were friggin’ awesome for breakfast! Man did they taste good and give me a much needed boost! I watched the highway for an hour. I saw a couple convoys of I believe National Guard trucks but couldn’t make out the bumper marking from my spot. (Cheapo Bushnell optics!) Very hard to focus and press on today. Seems like doing anything takes concentration.

I then pushed on for home. I laid up approximately 150m from the rear of my house in the woods to observe. I watched for little over an hour. There was no movement of any kind so I moved in. I had choreographed just what I wanted to do when I got in the house but of course that all went to shit! First thing I did was down a pack of CeraLyte in water then downed two 32oz G2 Gatorades! Probably going to need an IV but we’ll see. I grabbed my BOB, changed clothes, shit and grabbed a small bite to eat. There were no signs or tags on the door but the neighborhood seemed eerily deserted (evacuated!) Thought it was weird the power and water were still on. Against all tactical reason I’m going to hold up in the house tonight and head out just before dawn. Bottom line is I am physically spent! I’ll push fluids all night and see how it goes in the morning.

PART II, soon!

Comment

• Some scoff at T-Rats but I never had issue while in the military so I added some to my homestead preps a while back. I finally got around to trying one. I picked the Apple Dessert and thought it was fine. Plenty of apple wedges of course they were soggy but delicious just the same. Pretty much like canned apple pie filling.

I had people over for a cookout and thought I'd surprise them. I didn't heat the entire tray in boiling water I scooped out some, nuked it, and tossed it over some natural vanilla bean ice cream. Everybody loved it even after I told them what it was! A couple kids that were here ran off with the rest of the tray and spoons!

Like a lot of things out there some are good, some are bad. Overall I'm glad I have the T-Rats in my preps.

(Graham cracker on the bottom, two scoops natural vanilla bean ice cream & warm T-Rat Apple Dessert generously applied over the top. YUM)

Comment

• What an EPIC WIN it would be to find this in the PAW! (The fruit cocktail not the sewer!)

But being a douche bag I am without my multitool, Ti Spork and certainly no P38. What to do?

Find some cement, a curb, pavement, a rough rock etc and while applying even pressure grind the bottom of the can in a circular motion. Lets pretend it doesn't have a pull top!

Keep going the juices are flowing!

Enjoy your EPIC WIN fruit cocktail but beware sharp edges.

(Think I saw Cody Lundin using this technique.)
                    Last edited by Mags; 07-24-2011, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• Great adventure Mags, good to see you here.

O.W.
                      Things are seldom what they seem.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mags View Post
                        What an EPIC WIN it would be to find this in the PAW! (The fruit cocktail not the sewer!)....

....(Think I saw Cody Lundin using this technique.)
                        cool trick....I'll have to show my Scouts....:)
                        Live like you'll die tomorrow, learn like you'll live forever.

Comment

• What a great way to show equipment and scenarios... Entertaining and Educational... Kinda like "School House Rock" for preppers.

Awesome post as always... Thanks Mags!!!
                          The 12ga.... It's not just for rabbits anymore.

Comment

• It took a while but i finally reached the end of this thred so far and all I can say is damn you have some cool stuff and I like the can opener trick also great idea
                            NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO

Comment

• Slowz1k, Kinda like "School House Rock" Thats bout the coolest thing anybodies ever said! THANKS!

Comment

• Sweet mother of god what a thread.
                                Awesome gear, mags.
                                I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money... YOU CAN KEEP THE "CHANGE"!

Comment

Working...
                                X