Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubbysue
    replied
    I bought an HP Touchpad last year and it now has about 75 Ebooks and several magazine supscriptions on it as well Angry Birds. It has a leather case I bought to go with it and then a neoprene case that I picked up from Targus. The case keeps it well cushioned and keeps the rain at bay. It was never meant to be a bug out tablet, but it would sure be easy to travel with and it would keep you entertained for days.

Leave a comment:

• Diesel
    replied
    There are commercial grade tablets available for industrial, the delivery/shipping industry etc. These are waterproof, shockproof, crack proof screen etc but you're also looking at a price range of 3-8k
    http://www.webtechpoint.com/duros-84...y-environment/
    http://www.pocketables.net/2010/02/a...ed-tablet.html

Today consumer tablets are very fragile, and i've had concerns about protecting your screen as it's always exposed vs a laptop.

But they do make cases for them . Typicially the "waterproof" cases are simply dry bags made the right size to fit. There are a couple waterproof tablets out there which might be something to consider, but I have not specd them out yet myself.

http://www.padgadget.com/2011/03/06/...essory-review/
    http://galaxytablife.com/2011/08/mil...laxy-tab-10-1/

Leave a comment:

• Mangler
    replied
    Originally posted by Diesel View Post
    1. Data storage very few tablets or smartphones have any real data storage to speak about. Your collection of ebooks, pictures, records, maps, data could easily exceed the storage capability of any tablet or smartphone.
    Keep in mind the old adage of not keeping all your eggs in one basket. Never store all of your data on one device or even one type of media (magnetic, optical, flash). Always use two types of media like flash and DVD, or Flash and hard drive.

I bought a Dell 2110 netbook for my daughter. It has a touch screen, web cam, extended battery, wifi, USB, QWERTY keyboard, and a rubberized shell. When tethered to her phone she has Internet access from just about anywhere. So she can sync her files with the iCloud service and back them up to her iMac.

Leave a comment:

• nakadnu
    replied
    Very interesting idea Diesel. ATTABOY!!

I am curious how they will hold up in wet or very dusty conditions. Or just how much abuse can they really handle. Do you need to store them in something similiar to a pelican case? I am sure there are some out there that can withstand any kind of abuse you can think of but they are most likely very expensive. So many questions that need to be answered by someone with real time experience before I would trust one. Manufacturers claims don't mean a whole lot to me.

Leave a comment:

• Diesel
    replied
    Well a couple of things you need to look at...

1. Data storage very few tablets or smartphones have any real data storage to speak about. Your collection of ebooks, pictures, records, maps, data could easily exceed the storage capability of any tablet or smartphone.

2. What kind of data entry are you going to be doing? Journal, AAR's?, Mission Statements, Emails if you have service? Do you really want to do real data entry on a touch screen?

Not saying a don't like them, they currently do have their limits. I do how ever have a small tablet device in my preps because it's lightweight

Leave a comment:

• Mangler
    replied
    With the advent of the smart phone, iPad, and other tablets does this thread need to be revisited?

In the three years since this discussion started many advances have been achieved. A $500 4G Android tablet with WiFi, Bluetooth, and GPS would be very lightweight, able to store movies, photos, books, pdf files, maps, and of course music, plus it could serve as a hot spot for other less capable devices to connect to the Internet.

One major drawback is that all 3/4G devices have built-in locator and tacking features, so if the SHTF scenario is of a malevolent government nature you may not want such a device strapped to your pack.

But then if you are being targeted by an alphabet agency stay the hell off the Internet.

Leave a comment:

• slowz1k
    replied
    I've got a ratty old second hand IBM Stinkpad. It's not the lightest, but the price was right. I have electronic copies of all of the info that I have gathered from this site as well as others. Topics covered include survival, gardening, medical, weapons, hunting, camping, water purification....etc. I'm in the process of adding local area maps as well as neighboring states.(backups on CD and thumbdrive)
    In a non apocalyptic environment, it's also good for downloading fuel injection maps for motorcycles:D

Leave a comment:

• Zombie Axe
    replied
    I was looking into the netbooks, but for the money I wound up with a sweet tricked out ACER with a big old hard drive. Got the smallest screen I could get 14.1".

Setting it up for many S&P uses... but mainly using it to blog and edit video now... got quite the PDF database now :)

Leave a comment:

• unswydd
    replied
    I just bought an ebook by acer. it's okay for what I need. Just downloading personal docs and the needed health stuff that Palex223 mentioned. I spent about $500 for it. I don't think it has solar power capability tho. Maybe that can be adapted to it. I know I don't talk computer talk but you know what I mean. I have scanned and downloaded all my most precious pics too. I don't know much about these things I just wanted one for fun.

Leave a comment:

• Palex223
    replied
    I picked up a HP Mini 2140 a few weeks ago. About $100 more than the Asus, but fit my needs a bit better.
    Also purchased a couple of secure flash drives for personal and health information, scanned copies of documents, serial number photos of firearms, bank account information, a list of passwords, coded in order of use, coded commands for my dog, (fetch doesn't mean fetch) ect.

Edited to include;
    Also ordered it with the 8.5 hour 6 cell battery.
    Last edited by Palex223; 04-14-2009, 07:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lostinoz
    replied
    Originally posted by Diesel View Post
    i just listed off reasons it could help you. If you can't see value in it, you REALLY need to reconsider what things are going to be like, you're not going back to the stoneage.

And who said we wouldn't have a scanner, or multiple radios and comm gear?

Oz i think it's about $389
    Ok. I think I priced the HP at $359.00 or so.

Leave a comment:

• Diesel
    replied
    You could have thousands of ebooks, data, specs, maps, guides and more stored.

Leave a comment:

• Lostinoz
    replied
    Originally posted by themachenic, View Post
    when it hits the fan.how is a computer going to be good?:)i would think a scanner and short wave would be best!
    Well for me it is not about communication more than about storage of information. It would beat the heck out of hauling around a bunch of books. :) I do have books as well, but not for my BOB, other than a scout manual on first aid.

Leave a comment:

• Diesel
    replied
    i just listed off reasons it could help you. If you can't see value in it, you REALLY need to reconsider what things are going to be like, you're not going back to the stoneage.

And who said we wouldn't have a scanner, or multiple radios and comm gear?

Oz i think it's about $389

Leave a comment:

• themachenic,
    replied
    when it hits the fan.how is a computer going to be good?:)i would think a scanner and short wave would be best!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X