Folding Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folding Saw

I don't know if anyone is interested but I found a nice folding saw this week. It's a Corona, 6.5" folding saw. It's got a soft rubber grip and is very sturdy. The blade is sharp and well made. Best of all, it was $10.

I have several saws of this type and this is the best I've found and is the least expensive. When I go kayaking or hiking, I always take a knife, hatchet and saw. Many times the saw fits the job better than either of the other two tools.

It was at a local seed/garden store. It may not be as good as a "Buck" but it's not $60 either.

Originally posted by Bavarian View Post
    I don't know if anyone is interested but I found a nice folding saw this week. It's a Corona, 6.5" folding saw. It's got a soft rubber grip and is very sturdy. The blade is sharp and well made. Best of all, it was $10.

I have several saws of this type and this is the best I've found and is the least expensive. When I go kayaking or hiking, I always take a knife, hatchet and saw. Many times the saw fits the job better than either of the other two tools.

It was at a local seed/garden store. It may not be as good as a "Buck" but it's not $60 either.
    I agree. A person can do a lot with a saw and they can do it fast. I have never owned the traditin folding saw that you speak of. I picked up one of the Sven about 10 years ago. You can cut a pile of fire wood fast. Plus it folds up and travels very well. They are about $30.00 now. I gave 25 +/-, but I have never replaced or broken the blade. They run about $10.00
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pathfinder3081; 04-03-2009, 05:11 PM.
    "And with a collection of minds and talent, they survived"

Comment

I've seen those in catalogs but never in person. If I come across one, I'll try it out. Can't have too many tools:) Another thing I carry sometimes is a pruning shears. They're an old pair of solid steel. Good for cutting wood branches and dressing game. If I ever have to move out on foot, I'll have so many tools I won't have room for food.

Comment

The big thing I like about the folding saws is that they are much more silent then hacking at a tree or wood with an axe.

Comment

i like my gerber its quiet and it works
          the pack that plays together stays together

Comment

I'm not familiar with the Gerber, I'll have to take a look.

Omega, I agree. You can also do finer work if you're making a tool or utensile. One thing I like about a saw, I can take a piece of wood and sit down and work on it. It's quiet and doesn't require the room that a hatchet does sometimes. Plus, if you slip with a saw, you usually get a small cut. Slip with a hatchet or an axe and you can have a major problem.

Comment

Since we are talking of cutting tools. Does anyone remember "Norland" axes. I have a
              27" pole axe, that my dad bought me for Christmas when I was 10. I still have it, but would love to get another. It is very sweet. Green limbs, dry limbs it works well with both and holds an edge. They made a Hatchet as well. Are they still around? I tried to surf for them to no avail. PF
              "And with a collection of minds and talent, they survived"

Comment

how is the gerber? i have always like the style and price but wasent sure about the quality. i need something that can withstand a big work load and some light abuse :)

Comment

Originally posted by pathfinder3081 View Post
                  Since we are talking of cutting tools. Does anyone remember "Norland" axes. I have a
                  27" pole axe, that my dad bought me for Christmas when I was 10. I still have it, but would love to get another. It is very sweet. Green limbs, dry limbs it works well with both and holds an edge. They made a Hatchet as well. Are they still around? I tried to surf for them to no avail. PF
                  Pathfinder, try "Norlund" axes. They were a U.S. Company that went out of business. They are being made again and you can get a hatchet for about $25. I'm not sure where they're made now but they're supposed to be worth the cost.

Comment

Working...
                  X