Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LPC's Leather Personnel Carriers... BOOTS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LPC's Leather Personnel Carriers... BOOTS!

Many "preppers" have there BOB's, INCH, or GHB bags packed and ready to go as well as having the vehicles equipped for almost anything life can throw at them. Many of these same individuals forget a simple piece of equipment, there footwear. How many of you have to wear specific kinds of shoes for work? Are those shoes you wouldn't mind walking the next 25, 50 or maybe even 100 miles in. Do you have shoes in your BOB or vehicle that you wouldn't mind walking a lot in? Do your shoes match the type of terrain and climate you would be walking in.

The shoes in my pic are some that I have been testing for my circumstances in warm weather and around water. They are from Altama Shoes and are there OTB boots (Over The Beach) that were originally designed for Navy SEALS. The are designed for water wear, including scubaing and snorkeling, but I mostly wear mine for kayaking and fishing. I do like that I can strap on a pair of dive fins and slip straight in the water without the worry of carrying a pair of boots to slip into once I'm on dry ground again. I've been wearing my pair for about 3 months now and have been in and out of the lakes, rivers and swamps locally as well as in the ocean down in Florida. I seldom do gear reviews, but these boots are great! I wear them everywhere now from the lake to the mall and in the Coyote color that I got mine they look right where ever I go. There good enough I just ordered a second pair. Now, if I can just find socks that will dry as fast as my boots.

I wear boots specifically made for my job (wildland firefighting) but find that I wear them all the time due to their lightweight, rugged comfort. In fact, I recently purchased two more pair just in case they change the design and one pair is now firmly attached to my BOB. Although great on rough terrain, fire resistant, excellent interior cushioning, and all leather -the soles don't do all that well in really wet conditions. Something about making rubber better resist heat also makes it slick in wet conditions. These are my preferred choice: https://www.haixusa.com/haix-missoula
    I've humped many miles in them and never had an issue. They fit true to size, which makes them too wide for my narrow feet but there is plenty of room in the toe box to add an extra insole.

Comment

This is the shoe that I wear to work. I live in the land of the cubicle people, so it is business casual. This is my second pair of Rockports. First pair lasted about 10 years. They are as comfortable as bedroom slippers right out of the box. Made for walking even though I don't have to do that much anymore. Very reasonably priced.

Yes, you could walk 5-10- 50 miles in them. That said I also keep a pair of hiking boots with extra socks in my car. Maybe a little better for walking in inclement weather, particularly snow.

The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Current shoes I wear (usually) are Merrel's and they usually run from $80-110 just watch for them to be on sale. I started wearing these about 10 years ago and love them. I'm on my 3rd pair. The first ones lasted about 6 years and got scruffy looking so became yard shoes for working around the houes. the issue that seems to happen and causes me to scrap them is that the heel area wears thru and the plastic in there breaks and then becomes jagged though I own some of that damage due to slipping them on rather than tying and untying so I sometimes step the back of the shoe down and over the years that takes it's toll I'm sure.

These are more of a hiker type shoe and are based on Merrel's excellent hiking boots so they're firm fit, great traction and grip and feel like a sneaker. They have some weight to them but last forever. you can also get them with Gortex for extra money. They have a lot of sizes and offer wides which is great for my feet. as I can get a 12W. where in other shoes I often need 13 or 13wide.

They also used to have a model of all leather slip on dress shoes that I wore out 2 pairs over 10 years when I was traveling a lot doing sales. I was looking on their website and sadly looks like they don't have that design anymore.

I have a pair of slip-on Skethers that are very light and comfortable but no way I'd see myself walking miles and miles cross country in them. the sole seems very soft and if you step on something like a large rock you can feel it poke the bottom of your foot. Now if was just walking along hard top or something like a rail to trail path they'd be ok for a while but don't think they'd hold up. Thats why my other old Merrels live in the hatch of my car with my GHB. and once my yard shoes get tossed I'll rotate everything. the GHB will become yard, current wear will become GHB and I'll get a new pair for everyday.
        I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
          These are more of a hiker type shoe and are based on Merrel's excellent hiking boots so they're firm fit, great traction and grip and feel like a sneaker. They have some weight to them but last forever. you can also get them with Gortex for extra money. They have a lot of sizes and offer wides which is great for my feet. as I can get a 12W. where in other shoes I often need 13 or 13wide.

I have a pair of Merrel hikers that I have been abusing for at least 5 years. Been great hiking shoes.

Dale

Comment

Guilty. I wear mostly sneakers. I do have some nice leather hikers but they live in the dark corner of my closet. They are broken in and comfortable for long term walking. Hmmmm maybe those should be in the trunk of my car vs the spare sneakers. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

CG: I have had the same issue breaking down the backs of shoes. My first pair of Rockports did the same thing you are describing; back breaking down; plastic heel wearing through. I too am lazier than a teenage boy when it comes to tying shoes. I have found a nice size shoe horn works really well. I don't have to tie every time, and can slip on without breaking down the heel. You might give it a try.
              The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Working...
              X