accumulating gear.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• accumulating gear.

I have a problem with the accumulation of gear, I feel sometimes that prepping is nothing more than the continuation of the consumer society, that the buying of gear is somehow obliterating the need for skills and knowledge.
    I mean, okay fair enough, if someone is just doing it for the next camping trip or prepping for a 3 day event...and only 3 days, and stopping there, but i'm prepping for the big one, TEOTWAWKI- the end of civilisation/society, and gear will only last so long then it is used up, broken, lost or stolen, what then if one is relying on gear?
    I believe that skills and knowledge supercede any amount of gear, that these will help us survive, whereas gear is only delaying the inevitable.

Just my opinion.......But, redundant gear is my solution. And having that gear cached far and wide over a very large area.
    One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

I don't cache, if its not on my land I have no control over it.
      skills and knowledge are things that cannot be stolen, unlike gear.
      post SHTF I shall be living a very simple life, apart from a few basic tools I don't need a lot of stuff.

Comment

I have been living a very "Basic" life for the last 49 years, in a very tiny shack in the Alaska wilderness. I haul my water everyday from a creek 1/4 mile away. I go to town once a years for supplies. I have been living for the last five decades the lifestyle most anticipate experiencing in a post super serious SHTF event.
        One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

yes I did something very similar, in my case for 12 years not as long as you, living in an old wooden caravan/trailer and hauling water from the river, I had to leave as it wasn't my land and there was a change in ownership, the new landlord didn't want me there anymore.
          if i'd have owned the land I would still be there now!(and not online).
          Last edited by grumpygremlin; 06-28-2018, 11:12 AM.

Comment

GG I don't disagree with you. Knowledge is essential. You will probably never lose it. It won't break down. It won't run out of power. Nobody can take it away from you. Gear is also progress. Our brains gave us the ability to create tools, and tools have increased our ability to survive. Some tools you can duplicate or make from natural materials. Others would be very hard to replace or make on your own. I firmly believe in the Clint Smith rule: 1 is none; 2 is 1; and 3 is better. Yes, I have a lot of gear, but I also have a lot of knowledge. I use the gear to make things easier. Maybe I rely on it more than I should, but if it is available, why not use it?
            The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

what I've always said, in relevance to SHTF, use stuff to get to a place or point in time where we can live without it when its no longer available or no longer works.
              the trouble is there is so much shiny and interesting stuff out there that we keep accumulating it, I've been guilty of this myself in the past which is why I raised the question.
              I've never heard of the Clint Smith rule, but over here we say "3 is 2, 2 is 1, and 1 is none".

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post
                Some tools you can duplicate or make from natural materials. ..... I use the gear to make things easier. Maybe I rely on it more than I should, but if it is available, why not use it?
                I know using a large rock for a hammer for 4 months works. but sucks. I was grateful for that rock actually, but it was blissful to acquire a hammer finally.

Cedar

Comment

having a small basic tool kit -including hammers- makes sense, but accumulating a huge stack of stuff is something else, just how many lighters, how many compasses, how many knives, how many axes, are you going to use in a lifetime? I still think a lot of the stuff you see advertised is just to make some company rich and to keep the "consumer society" functioning. or is it just me?

Comment

GG: IMHO every product on the planet is made to make some company rich. It is the basis of the free market capitalist society. Two parties enter into a mutually agreed transaction, both of whom benefit. Maybe the question would be "How much do you really need?" and when you have the gear you need wouldn't your money be better spent on learning how to use it correctly, or learning new skills to help you rather than just buying more gear?" I would agree with that premise completely. I would also agree that we have evolved from a self-reliant society where everybody made to with what they had, into a consumer society where you just buy more.

Except for knives, and maybe backpacks. I am a complete, utter, guilty-as-charged, sucker when it comes to knives and backpacks. Can't get enough.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post

Except for knives, and maybe backpacks. I am a complete, utter, guilty-as-charged, sucker when it comes to knives and backpacks. Can't get enough.
                      I'll bet you are in number two position..........as "Crazy" Backpack owner, on this forum. If your not approaching 48 backpacks.......your just barely in the crazy backpack owner class of nut'jobs.

Comment

mine is knives, i'm a sucker for them, cant stop buying them, already got more than I will ever use in a lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpygremlin View Post
                          mine is knives, i'm a sucker for them, cant stop buying them, already got more than I will ever use in a lifetime.
                          What is popular SHTF firearms over there.......???

Comment

Originally posted by Sourdough View Post

What is popular SHTF firearms over there.......???
                            don't know, i'm more into archery myself, much quieter!

Comment

Sourdough: I don't think I hit 48. I'm probably closer to 24. I think at last count I had 10 fanny packs as well.

GG: I don't know if you get is over there, but in this month's issue of OFF GRID magazine there is an interesting article on this exact topic. They use six categories: Primitive Expert; Bushcrafter; Old-School Outdoorsman; Modern Adventurer; Gear Connoisseur; Extreme Geardo. I put myself in the Modern Adventurer category: " rarely accused of carrying to much or to little. Their gear might be a few years old, but it will stay in use until it wears out." Interesting read if you can find it.

Comment

Working...
                              X