Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas Masks and Respirators - 50pg Comprehensive Review ....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Masks and Respirators - 50pg Comprehensive Review ....

probably one of the best analysis reports I've seen on the various gas masks and respirators available on the market - detail info on the various types - recommended brands - filter types and their particular uses ....

best part of the report is that it covers the various SHTF possibilities - it's civilian family oriented - decent price comparison included ...

https://theprepared.com/gear/reviews...ator-survival/

bump ........

Comment

Illini Warrior,

It's been a long, long time since I had NBC training but from what I remember it seems the author may be more interested in selling products than in giving life saving advice. That's just my view. For Nuclear fallout, not breathing it in is lif e saving but you need to go farther if your moving outside. Protect your entire body with something disposable so that as soon as possible you can be decontaminated and radio active particles will not be able to cling to your body (hair, fingernails, toes, ears and other mucous membranes) which can kill you just as fast as breathing in the particles. Exiting the Nuclear contaminated area or seeking adequate cover from the fallout for a appropriate time is going to be your life saver, if you stay un-contaminated.

Biological is a whole other crap shoot. Is the contaminate natural or man made. If it's man made, is it industrial or weaponized. In a natural pandemic I think a good quality commercial mask ( NOT a N95 type mask but an actual changeable filter respirator), is essential. I won't go into depth here on this as I don't feel qualified to give that advice.

Last but not least, Chemical. My biggest fear. This is also a contaminate that you will have to have complete protection from to prevent serious injury or death. Pay attention to the wind if you hear of an industrial accident. Move up wind and away from the contaminated area. Industrial accidents are survivable and the areas first responders will be on site helping people clear the area.

If you have the misfortune of finding yourself in a war zone as a civilian and there are chemical weapons being used, LEAVE! Anyway possible away from that zone. If you hear pop's or "soft explosions" and see any strange colored smoke, RUN AWAY! I was sent for guard duty to Johnson Island in the 1980's and have seen the effects of mustard gas and VX agent on the human body. Personally, if I am exposed to a chemical agent, I'll save the last round for myself. There are no good ways to die, but there are some truly horrific ways to die.

Dale
      Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

O.K. I will agree that there could be a need for some type of mask, and I have had to use them in work applications. How often do you change the filters? How do you know that they are being affective? How do you know when they stop being affective? I have serious doubts about any mask stopping radiation. It may keep it out of your lungs, but it surely won't stop it from going anyplace else.
        The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by dalewick View Post
          Illini Warrior,

It's been a long, long time since I had NBC training but from what I remember it seems the author may be more interested in selling products than in giving life saving advice. That's just my view. For Nuclear fallout, not breathing it in is lif e saving but you need to go farther if your moving outside. Protect your entire body with something disposable so that as soon as possible you can be decontaminated and radio active particles will not be able to cling to your body (hair, fingernails, toes, ears and other mucous membranes) which can kill you just as fast as breathing in the particles. Exiting the Nuclear contaminated area or seeking adequate cover from the fallout for a appropriate time is going to be your life saver, if you stay un-contaminated.

Biological is a whole other crap shoot. Is the contaminate natural or man made. If it's man made, is it industrial or weaponized. In a natural pandemic I think a good quality commercial mask ( NOT a N95 type mask but an actual changeable filter respirator), is essential. I won't go into depth here on this as I don't feel qualified to give that advice.

Last but not least, Chemical. My biggest fear. This is also a contaminate that you will have to have complete protection from to prevent serious injury or death. Pay attention to the wind if you hear of an industrial accident. Move up wind and away from the contaminated area. Industrial accidents are survivable and the areas first responders will be on site helping people clear the area.

If you have the misfortune of finding yourself in a war zone as a civilian and there are chemical weapons being used, LEAVE! Anyway possible away from that zone. If you hear pop's or "soft explosions" and see any strange colored smoke, RUN AWAY! I was sent for guard duty to Johnson Island in the 1980's and have seen the effects of mustard gas and VX agent on the human body. Personally, if I am exposed to a chemical agent, I'll save the last round for myself. There are no good ways to die, but there are some truly horrific ways to die.

Dale

the author doesn't have a cut coming in anyway - those links for the sale locations aren't his - the guy did the best he could in compiling that info and presenting it - didn't see anything that he claimed to be some expert in gas warfare ....

and I only post it - one of the very few that do on this website - sooooooooo why present your bitching to ME personally? .... don't like the post - don't read - go beat off somewhere else ...
          Last edited by Illini Warrior; 02-09-2018, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Illini Warrior View Post

the author doesn't have a cut coming in anyway - those links for the sale locations aren't his - the guy did the best he could in compiling that info and presenting it - didn't see anything that he claimed to be some expert in gas warfare ....

and I only post it - one of the very few that do on this website - sooooooooo why present your bitching to ME personally? .... don't like the post - don't read - go beat off somewhere else ...
            Ummmm, Sorry if I came across as attacking or bitching at you. Was not my intention at all. I will remember to from now on go elsewhere from your post.

Peace out.
            Dale
            Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

I have started reading a book by Dick Couch, captain, USNR (retired)
              The book is The U.S. Armed Forces Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Survival Manual. Lik I said I just started reading it and only a little way into it. Seems like it might have some good info in it for protecting yourself and family members from the growing terrorist threats out there. The book has been compiled and edited for civilian use by above arthur. Might be answer to some tough questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                I have started reading a book by Dick Couch, captain, USNR (retired)
                The book is The U.S. Armed Forces Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Survival Manual. Lik I said I just started reading it and only a little way into it. Seems like it might have some good info in it for protecting yourself and family members from the growing terrorist threats out there. The book has been compiled and edited for civilian use by above arthur. Might be answer to some tough questions.
                AJ, Please let us know what you think of the book. Sounds like something that I might want in my families library.

Dale

Comment

Will let you know when I finish reading it. So far it is very informative.

Comment

OK Dale, and all others interested. This book is great. It has detailed info when you get to the middle to end and at end it has websites to go to as well for info. There is a lot of history on biological agents and a lot I never heard of. It gives you the names what to look for, how to treat it and the effects of each. It tells about the different mask and things if you get anything on skin what to do to decontaminate. More info than I ever thought of. This is really a great book to have in your collection. It even talks about a military liquid agent detector. Talks about radiation-induced early transient incapacitation, chemical acute radiation syndrome and much, much more. Overall I give this book a 10 star rating. I will need to study it more as so far I have just read it. But what I learned just from reading, has a great deal about what we should know about and much more. Morgan this book would be a good one for you as well. It explains so much and takes away a lot of questions that I even had.

Comment

OK Dale, and all others interested. This book is great. It has detailed info when you get to the middle to end and at end it has websites to go to as well for info. There is a lot of history on biological agents and a lot I never heard of. It gives you the names what to look for, how to treat it and the effects of each. It tells about the different mask and things if you get anything on skin what to do to decontaminate. More info than I ever thought of. This is really a great book to have in your collection. It even talks about a military liquid agent detector. Talks about radiation-induced early transient incapacitation, chemical acute radiation syndrome and much, much more. Overall I give this book a 10 star rating. I will need to study it more as so far I have just read it. But what I learned just from reading, has a great deal about what we should know about and much more. Morgan this book would be a good one for you as well. It explains so much and takes away a lot of questions that I even had.
                      Thanks AJ.

Would you be kind enough to give me the books ISBN number. It's Amazon time. LOL! Thanks!

Dale

Comment

The ISBN number is 13: 978-0-465-00797-4 It has another one under it ISBN10: 0-465-00797-X. It is a John Boswell Associates book. Hope you find it fast. As I bought mine from BJ'S wholesale club. It was the last one they had.

Comment

The ISBN number is 13: 978-0-465-00797-4 It has another one under it ISBN10: 0-465-00797-X. It is a John Boswell Associates book. Hope you find it fast. As I bought mine from BJ'S wholesale club. It was the last one they had.
                          Thanks AJ!

Dale

Comment

Working...
                          X