X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loshali
    replied
    Solar Cookers

Cuda, glad you posted that. I've done the box and it does heat very well, but its definitely not for long term use. Good info to have though. I'd suggested a collapsible one. We used to take it camping and I'd have the best meals on the grounds. No measly beanie weenies for my campers, lol. You can season a roast and let it cook all afternoon and man, its good. Same with chicken in a sauce. Even a 'quick' meal of chicken legs in mushroom gravy (or canned soup) will taste fantastic slow cooked that way. THe trick is to cook in dark pans, so the heat is absorbed.

And NEVER look directly into the reflection of a solar oven, you can do some serious retinal damage that way....

Leave a comment:

• cudalyon
    replied
    Solar Cooking

Originally posted by Loshali View Post
    Do you have a southern exposure? I've made a solar oven from two cardboard boxes and heavy duty aluminium foil and a boiling bag. It will nearly boil water and cook a mean pot roast all afternoon. You could certainly heat up your supplies, cook oatmeal for a late morning brunch, even boil eggs. That way you can save your propane/charcoal resources for cloudy days, although the solar oven will work on overcast days too.

My suggestion is to get a better one than the cardboard boxes, but hey, in a pinch.... I will look for the directions sheet and post it later. Make one and practice cooking on a weekend.
    I found this page and was about to post it but thought I better search to see if this had been coverd in a thread yet, and it was the last entry on this thread. Here are some Solar cookers you can buy for $25 AND UP and pack in your BOB.

http://65.108.108.197/catalog/solarcookerskits-c-1.html

Leave a comment:

• Loshali
    replied
    alternative fuel for apartment situation

Do you have a southern exposure? I've made a solar oven from two cardboard boxes and heavy duty aluminium foil and a boiling bag. It will nearly boil water and cook a mean pot roast all afternoon. You could certainly heat up your supplies, cook oatmeal for a late morning brunch, even boil eggs. That way you can save your propane/charcoal resources for cloudy days, although the solar oven will work on overcast days too.

My suggestion is to get a better one than the cardboard boxes, but hey, in a pinch.... I will look for the directions sheet and post it later. Make one and practice cooking on a weekend.

Leave a comment:

• CJD
    replied
    If you made a shelf out of a wire rack just under your window, and then made a "chimney" for the storm kettle, I'm sure it would be safe to use. Just don't leave it unattended.

Leave a comment:

• Oddball
    replied
    Thanks for the suggestion, CJD. And, welcome to Xcolony!

The link you provided reminds me of a mini-volcano stove. It's the same principle, anyway. I have to get to work, so I didn't do any research. But, it looks like that should be used outdoors only or with really good ventilation. This place has lousy cross-ventilation. Being on the first floor and alone, that would be risky anyway.

I'm probably being overly concerned about this issue. If I can have an open fire somewhere and some Magic Heat for when I can't, I should get by. Maybe I can use a little charcoal grill in the garage with the door open, even. Maybe it'll be safer than I think because most people cut out like when we were hit with that ice storm 30 years ago. If we have mass mahem and violence, starvation won't be what gets me.

Leave a comment:

• CJD
    replied
    http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/prod...ProductID=3075

I have not searched around at all, so you might be able to find this cheaper. I would think that you could use this inside if it were next to an open window, and had something underneath to insulate it from anything flamable.

Leave a comment:

• Oddball
    replied
    I don't own any BOL and can't make the math work to buy. And, it doesn't seem wise to go into heavy debt at my age when in many SHTF scenarios, alone anywhere isn't good.

Leave a comment:

• Ulath
    replied
    Originally posted by Oddball View Post
    Honestly, I hate the bugging in idea. But, it's all I have.
    I hate to be nosy but what is the issue with bugging out. There are some good back roads from Dallas comming to the Nacadoches, Lufkin area which is where I will be. :cool: Some real nice land to be bought at still not so bad prices. I am going to look at another place this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Oddball
    replied
    Originally posted by Ulath View Post
    Some apartments have them and some don't but do you have a fireplace?
    Nope. No fireplace and outdoor grilling is restricted to 20' from all structures. In a 'situation,' I'd say restrictions would be hard to adhere to and even harder to enforce. Apartment complexes would be burning as a result, too. Honestly, I hate the bugging in idea. But, it's all I have.

We had a bad ice storm here about 30 years ago that resulted in a loss of all utilities for about 10 days. I was just a kid....new to the city, barely out on my own and not even a sheep yet. More of a lamb. I couldn't leave my apartment complex though everyone else apparently had abandoned the place. Thank God for the fireplace! Even I was surprised by how well we (my dog and I) got by. Of course, it did require leaving a few IOUs for firewood. I got pretty good at jumping from one 2nd floor balcony to the next. Since then, I've always tried to have a fireplace. Hope I don't regret doing without one in my current digs.

Leave a comment:

• Ulath
    replied
    Some apartments have them and some don't but do you have a fireplace?
    A buddy and I many years ago lived in an apartment complex that did not allow an outdoor grill. We didn't like that much and the park was a long walk. After talking it over a few beers we put the small charcole grill in the fireplace. After all it was 98deg outside and much to hot at the park. Two hours later a knock came at the door and it was the apartment manager coming to see if the place might be on fire. He didn't like our inventivness but no where in the policy did it state that we couldn't cook in the fireplace and it worked well.

Just a thought.

P.S. Make sure the fireplaces draws correctly. I would dread for anyone to afixiate themselves doing this.
    Last edited by Ulath; 01-13-2009, 05:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kenno
    replied
    I have had many winter power outages, some lasting 3 weeks. The first winter I used my coleman fueled stove and lantern aned learned that though efficent they are a fire hazard and you must refuel them outdoors. Propane is much safer to handle and store indoors.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by Oddball View Post
    You da man, RS! I gotta get busy putting all these ideas together!

Looks cheap enough. After everyone goes to bed, I will find that sterno I bought and see what kind of a cooker I can make with it. I just cannot remember where I put it.

Leave a comment:

• Oddball
    replied
    You da man, RS! I gotta get busy putting all these ideas together!

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by voodoo View Post
    Sterno or Eco Fuel are good choices, and you can find them cheap if you search the auction sites. They come in 6-8 hour versions as well. Military Trioxane is also very good and cheap. Burns hot. Build a rocket stove. Google it. Similar idea to the Volcano, but cheap and easy to make out of coffee cans. Uses very little fuel. Almost any method will require venting, just crack a window open 1/2".

Sterno works well, and burns clean. I bought 4 cans a few months ago for under $3.00. You can make a decent burner out of a cloths hanger too, or buy a fancy one.

Here is a website just for you!!!

http://mysite.verizon.net/abernathey/id5.html

And here

http://mysite.verizon.net/abernathey/id6.html
    Last edited by Rustyshakelford; 01-04-2009, 02:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    Originally posted by Zombie Axe View Post
    http://www.scientificutility.com/prod_heat.htm

I prefer the magic heat stoves over Sterno and other types of gelled alcohol...

Of course the little stove that lazer got us to start making, soda can stove, will get a pot of water boiling much quicker than any Sterno or Magic Heat stove... and you could use it inside the home (still need to crack a window). The fuel is also easy to store and the soda can stove uses VERY little fuel!!!

So there is another option for ya:cool:
    Ditto....the soda pop stove is, undoubtedly, the sh*t.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X