X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snal
    replied
    Ok...figured it out!
    I sealed the raw end, and cut a bag 9" long...the I did 4 seals down the length of the 12" wide bag...at 3.25" and 4.0" from both outside edges...this created 3 compartments that are 2.875" x 9". DO NOT CUT IT YET! Each compartment will easily hold 100 rounds of .22lr...fill the bags and seal as a unit...(the vacumm will function)...then cut the bag between the double seals.

Leave a comment:

• snal
    replied
    Well....I tried making some smaller bags this morning. I double sealed a 3.5" bag and cut it into 1 at 6.5" and one at 4.5" and loaded 100rnds of .22lr in the larger bag and 50rnds in the smaller bag. I couldn't get a vacuum on the narrow bags for some reason...I think I need to cut strips to use them as a spacer at the vacuum tray since apparently the tray didn't seal enough to pull a vacuum.

Leave a comment:

• Zombie Axe
    replied
    Don't forget to squeeze the Charmin! With these you can vacum seal a roll of TP (tube removed of course) to take up VERY little room in your BOB:eek:

Now the food saver will not do mylar bags as far as sealing them... For that I use a heat sealer from http://www.sorbentsystems.com/hotjaw.html the handheld one(BTW check out their mylar bags) that works very well. With the JAR sealer on the food saver, you can leave a small hole and vacum out the air. Then hot jaw it and you are GOOD to go.

Remember plastic buckets ALONE will do OK but for long term storage you need to bag it with a mylar bag...

I know this is a little off topic as far as the food saver goes, but it is just ONE of the many things you can do with one:cool:

Leave a comment:

• snal
    replied
    Cool "small bag" idea!
    I'm trying to make a list of offbeat uses for the sealer. We do alot of boating with our dogs, and we could save a lot of space in our cruiser by re-packing canned food (canine or otherwise) into vacuum bags, which would also greatly reduce bulky trash. We have a small Honda generator aboard so we could even reuse the bags while afloat!

Leave a comment:

• lazer128
    replied
    These are really cool. We have had one for years. I want the newer model where the roll is stored in the unit. You'll find rolls on eBay much cheaper than most stores.

I use it EVERY day. With the vac turned off, you can re-seal potato chip bags, cereal bags, etc. No more bag clips, wire ties and rubber bands! I just cut the top of the bag off as the item is used up. I have cut the top off a chip bag and sealed a small portion of chips for the days lunch. Great way to re-use something you already have and not waste another ziploc bag.

Just my $0.02.

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    A word of advice:

DO NOT try to use regular Ziplocs, or other baggie-type stuff....it will ruin your sealing element.....experience speaking. :rolleyes:

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by Zombie Axe View Post
    You are gonna have so much fun with that vacum sealer!!!

Also don't forget, a lot of things in your BOB (heck even in your saddle bags on your bike!) can either be kept dry (like extra socks, clothes or TP) or messy stuff (or stuff that can become messy) like TP, sunscreen or shampoo can be contained if the origional packaging fails.

You can vacum seal ammo for your BOB or BOV and TONS of other things! If it can fit in one of those bags you can vacum seal it!!!

I have also experimented with making smaller bags in response to Rusty's suggestion of adding some small airplane bottles of vodka to my BOB. If you seal the ends (say 4" wide) and then cut it in half (or however long you need it) and then turn it the other way you can make much smaller bags for smaller items... You can save a lot of bag material this way!

Enjoy it!!!:)
    After tonight, I will have to replace my Vodka bottles. I drank them this evening.

Leave a comment:

• Zombie Axe
    replied
    You are gonna have so much fun with that vacum sealer!!!

Also don't forget, a lot of things in your BOB (heck even in your saddle bags on your bike!) can either be kept dry (like extra socks, clothes or TP) or messy stuff (or stuff that can become messy) like TP, sunscreen or shampoo can be contained if the origional packaging fails.

You can vacum seal ammo for your BOB or BOV and TONS of other things! If it can fit in one of those bags you can vacum seal it!!!

I have also experimented with making smaller bags in response to Rusty's suggestion of adding some small airplane bottles of vodka to my BOB. If you seal the ends (say 4" wide) and then cut it in half (or however long you need it) and then turn it the other way you can make much smaller bags for smaller items... You can save a lot of bag material this way!

Enjoy it!!!:)

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by snal View Post
    She's covert, she even had me photoshop the back of the Dyson so her reflection couldn't be seen.
    A wise woman indeed!!

Leave a comment:

• snal
    replied
    She's covert, she even had me photoshop the back of the Dyson so her reflection couldn't be seen.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by Diesel View Post
    yeah we need to see the wife with the sealer sheesh man get it right!
    Maybe the wife saw our posts and does not appreciate being used as a Miss Sally Homemaker saleslady. (But I for one would like to see the wife with the seal a meal too)

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    Cool, Bud....one more step toward preparedness....can't think of a more useful gift....

'Saw

Leave a comment:

• Diesel
    replied
    yeah we need to see the wife with the sealer sheesh man get it right!

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Very cool. Thanks for the info!

Leave a comment:

• snal
    replied
    Originally posted by Rustyshakelford View Post
    Cool. So, your recommendation on vacuum sealing flour?
    I cut the bag a bit large, so that the flour took up roughly 1/3 the bag volume, shook it so that all of the flour rested at the bottom rather than being spread out, then sealed. I think it will do fine this way, although the included guide suggested that you place a coffee filter in the bag...over the flour. I personally don't see the need. There's no way that the filter would have stopped that last little pull, and the tip does state to put the filter "on top" of the flour. I think it might be a good idea to use a narrow piece of filter material over the outside on the bag just to prevent any dust getting into the pump, but only if you're doing a lot of flour/powder sealing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X