Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ultimate Food Storage Thread! - Let's see your Food Storage

Ok this should be an easy one!

Let's see your food preps! No matter how little or much snap some pics and share with your fellow family here. Will be interesting to see the diff levels of what is stocked, what brands, and how it's stored! Don't be shy jump right in and share!

Infact I'll be giving out some prizes to the best pics, doesn't have to mean the most food but the best stored, best selections, or creative pics :)

The cool part of this it should hopefully motivate and inspire people to bolster their stored food & water, and get some new ideas

So let's see em - Picture posts will get + rep here from me

P.S If this thread makes you hungry I am not liable
    Last edited by Diesel; 02-22-2012, 06:27 PM.
    WHAT IF THE AMERICA YOU KNEW, WAS ABOUT TO CHANGE?

The best thing you can do to support the site is pass it on to your friends and fav sites like other forums, facebook, twitter etc. Let people know about us! :)

this will help me very much
    got a 4 day canoe trip in august and not too sure about food storage as of yet

Comment

We forage year round for bulk wild foods that we can dry or mill in to flour. The Spring is all about roots and tubers, hog peanut (Amphicarpaea bracteata), Burdock (Arcticum lappa), Ground Nut (Apios americana), Wild Parsnip, Wild Carrot, and Evening Primrose. These keep in the root cellar for weeks, even months, but many can be ground, and either roasted or dried in to a flour that will keep for years. Spring is also time for shoots like nettles, Japanese knotweed cattail, and fiddleheads. These store well frozen or pickled rather than dried. We rotate items that have been dried or made in to a flour in five gallon buckets so that we always have a year ahead of each season. Moving in to summer we harvest a LOT of dried arial plant parts for teas and decoctions, not only for food, but also medicine. The berry seasons are important as well, as we start here in Maine with wild strawberry, than raspberry, than lackberry, after that, blueberries are ripening, and the end of it is with autumn olive. There are more species to be had, but we only bother with those that produce enough to make gathering and storage worth while. Besides, that brings us in to fall and with all the beech nuts, wild rice, acorns and apples to harvest and process (in that seasonal order) for storage we barely have enough time to tend to the gardens. I have many videos on the subject and am too eager to share them once I reach my fifteenth post! This is my second.
      Originally posted by Diesel View Post
      Ok this should be an easy one!

Let's see your food preps! No matter how little or much snap some pics and share with your fellow family here. Will be interesting to see the diff levels of what is stocked, what brands, and how it's stored! Don't be shy jump right in and share!

Infact I'll be giving out some prizes to the best pics, doesn't have to mean the most food but the best stored, best selections, or creative pics :)

The cool part of this it should hopefully motivate and inspire people to bolster their stored food & water, and get some new ideas

So let's see em - Picture posts will get + rep here from me

P.S If this thread makes you hungry I am not liable

Comment

I've got four cans of soup, two cans of chili, four Top Ramens, some granola and enough rum for tonight. Where do I go from here?
        "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress."
        - John Adams

Comment

Great idea to put a thread out here for storage.
          My wife and I just started food storage, and are really getting into the fact that we are becoming more self sufficient. It's a good feeling to also know that we can spend time on getting important things done around the home when disaster strikes, rather than having to run to the store before everything is gone.
          Our goal is to have at least:
          1 weeks worth of MRE type food in a bug out bag
          2-3 months every day food should we at least have power loss or the need to stay at home.
          6 months of can goods and various long term storage.
          60 gal water, plus what's in the hot water tank. (we do have a well and generator, just in case)

Please feel free to comment.

I think that Diesel does a great job keeping the interest flow going and the fact that I get emails from him, is a constant reminder to PREP for survival. Kudos Diesel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00871.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	184861Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00872.jpg
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	184862

Name:	DSC00873.jpg
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	184863

Name:	DSC00874.jpg
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	184864

Name:	DSC00875.jpg
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	184865

Name:	DSC00876.jpg
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	184866

Name:	DSC00877.jpg
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	184867

This pic is of all the extras saved from Fast Food Places. We just ask for a couple extra each time and it doesn't take long to build up a stash of ketchup and mayo.

Name:	DSC00878.jpg
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	184868

Comment

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing & motivating people! Rep given and a pm about a prize

The best thing you can do to support the site is pass it on to your friends and fav sites like other forums, facebook, twitter etc. Let people know about us! :)

Comment

While growing up I was very use to moving stuff in and out of a root cellar for my mom all winter long. We never went to the market for items like most Americans do now. I became like everyone else I had maybe 1 weeks worth of food in the house and went to buy food from the grocery store weekly, did that for 20+ years. Until I had my eyes opened by a hurricane and college micro biology class.I started food storage about 7 years ago.

I was lucky to find someone on line in a forum about the Flu, that does it as a life style. She gave me and others great hints on how to can almost everything you can cook, to smoking meat. to drying vegetables for future use. She has a family of 10 and spends about $500.00 per year at the store!

I use those plastic containers that Wal Mart sells on sale after every X-mas. I currently have just over 150 containers, 250 1 quart filled canned with items and have 3 freezers with smoked meat from hunting and butchering our own cattle, chickens, and hogs. I store grains and bulk items in 15/30/55 gallon open top barrels using Mylar liners (E=Bay) then vacuum seal them shut. They will last for 25 years that way.

We have stored at the farm about (70%) in a root cellar not attached to the house. We have some at our current house (10%) in Florida. The rest are in location that we will use as rest areas between Florida and the Farm.

Comment

jUST A SMALL BIT OF OURS

Here is a bit of ours . All teh shelves are full now the photo was taken just after I built the door units

Robert W
                Attached Files
                Democracy Will Cease To Exist When You Take Away From Those Who Are Willing To Work And Give to Those Who Are Not.-Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Good job with the door shelves, gotta maximize on space. You think about making the shelves inside deeper?

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel View Post
                    Good job with the door shelves, gotta maximize on space. You think about making the shelves inside deeper?
                    I DID BUT MY WIFE WANTS TO keep room inside there for the vacuum and mop /broom and duster . The main store room for preps we have in in the garage . We have those 2 in the kitchen as well as 2 large sets of cabinets in the laundry area .
                    Robert W
                    Democracy Will Cease To Exist When You Take Away From Those Who Are Willing To Work And Give to Those Who Are Not.-Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I have just started 3 months ago, basically a lot of beans, rice , pastas and anything else I think has a long shelf life. Have 2 kids and am very concerned about what's to come. My wife has just started reading up on preserving food n fruits and canning but apart from that need all the information we can get. I've just started bow hunting and hope that my first season will allow me to do something with I am able to catch, just not sure how? Am also very concerned as far as protection but living in New Jersey and having a mid spent childhood makes it aost but inpossible for me to buy arms to protect my family, there is only so much you can do with crossbow n bow... So any help or info on both these issues would be greatly appreciated by me and my family any thoughts??.....

Comment

Originally posted by paul007 View Post
                        I have just started 3 months ago, basically a lot of beans, rice , pastas and anything else I think has a long shelf life. Have 2 kids and am very concerned about what's to come. My wife has just started reading up on preserving food n fruits and canning but apart from that need all the information we can get. I've just started bow hunting and hope that my first season will allow me to do something with I am able to catch, just not sure how? Am also very concerned as far as protection but living in New Jersey and having a mid spent childhood makes it aost but inpossible for me to buy arms to protect my family, there is only so much you can do with crossbow n bow... So any help or info on both these issues would be greatly appreciated by me and my family any thoughts??.....
                        First off I would look into dehydrating food as it is one of the best and easiest ways to preserve food. As far as buying food work the sales and try to use coupons whenever possible . Also maybe get your wife to buy the firearm if your not able to . Just a thought .
                        Robert W

Comment

Pics pics pics

Comment

Haven't posted much lately, but I thought I would put up a few pics of some of my food preps.
                            These first few pics are of the "Hot Pantry" Most of the canned goods and dry soups are rotated from Long Term storage to here as they approach their "best by" dates. As goods are removed from LT they are replaced with newly bought items with a later "best by" date.

This last pic is part of my Long Term storage. The white boxes all contain 6 #10 cans of dry goods obtained from the local LDS cannery. The tubs below contain various canned goods, such as soups, vegetables, meats, and fruit. The buckets are freebies from the local grocery store and are used with the mylar bags and 02 absorbers for storing other dry goods, and three day food packs.

The 12ga.... It's not just for rabbits anymore.

Comment

[QUOTE=slowz1k;62271]Haven't posted much lately, but I thought I would put up a few pics of some of my food preps.
                              These first few pics are of the "Hot Pantry" Most of the canned goods and dry soups are rotated from Long Term storage to here as they approach their "best by" dates. As goods are removed from LT they are replaced with newly bought items with a later "best by" date.

This last pic is part of my Long Term storage. The white boxes all contain 6 #10 cans of dry goods obtained from the local LDS cannery. The tubs below contain various canned goods, such as soups, vegetables, meats, and fruit. The buckets are freebies from the local grocery store and are used with the mylar bags and 02 absorbers for storing other dry goods, and three day food packs.

[/QUO
                              GREAT PHOTOS THANKS ! i NEED TO DO SOME WORK ON ROTATIONG MY stores
                              Robert W

Comment

Working...
                              X