• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brosia
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

fun with Ziploc

We already had the discussion on the new Ziploc pump bags

I decided to use the ziploc bags for some small amounts of rice, I didn't want to keep them in the original bag. I froze the rice first (someone suggested that to kill any little critters, thank goodness! I did find something in the rice) and I was putting the rice in the ziploc and pumping out the air, when along comes my son.

I think I told you how he was concerned about "starving to death" if the grocery stores shut down, so I explained to him what I was doing, how I was adding it to our emergency supplies.

Obviously bagging food and pumping the air out is more fun than video games, because he gave up what he was playing, and kept pulling food out of the pantry to bag. we have rice, pasta, envelopes of soup mix and hot cocoa, salt, coffee, all sealed tight. He would have kept going if it wasn't time for dinner.
    "Be Excellent to Each Other"
  • Diesel
    Administrator

• May 2008

that's great! Glad to hear it, get the whole fam involved! :)
    WHAT IF THE AMERICA YOU KNEW, WAS ABOUT TO CHANGE?

The best thing you can do to support the site is pass it on to your friends and fav sites like other forums, facebook, twitter etc. Let people know about us! :)

Comment

• Big_Saw
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2008

Just wait 'till you get your first seal-a-meal...my daughter won't even let me use mine....I'm required to give her my supplies, and she appropriates them into the proper quantities and dims the lights for the entire weekend.
      "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

Comment

• Brosia
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008

cat food, dog food, microwave popcorn pouches, more coffee ("you like
        coffee, Mom")

Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
        Just wait 'till you get your first seal-a-meal...my daughter won't even let me use mine....I'm required to give her my supplies, and she appropriates them into the proper quantities and dims the lights for the entire weekend.
        oooh, that would be fun.

The food dehyrdator will be in on Friday. More fun.
        "Be Excellent to Each Other"

Comment

• Rustyshakelford
          • Aug 2008

Since I bought my ziplock sealer, I won't go back to the motorized units. I love mine!!! I now have sealed ammo, beans, rice, frozed meats, and just about every other item in the house. I went out the other day and bought $50.00 worth of bags in case they quit making them.

Last edited by Rustyshakelford; 12-17-2008, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• Big_Saw
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2008

Yeah, I have that set, too, but I keep it on hand (in my bulk BOB) in case the power goes out, if you know what I mean. It works just as well as my seal-a-meal, but I like the laziness of the electric unit, or rather, my daughter does..."whirrrrrrrr.....pop....ding!"

Instant MRE.
            "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

Comment

• Rustyshakelford
              • Aug 2008

I forgot to show my skivvies!!!

Comment

• Big_Saw
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Rustyshakelford View Post
                I forgot to show my skivvies!!!

LOL....WTF?.....If those have a "born on" date or and expiration, I'm worried aboutyou.....LMFAO!

Comment

• Rustyshakelford
                  • Aug 2008

LOL....WTF?.....If those have a "born on" date or and expiration, I'm worried aboutyou.....LMFAO!

Just because you are running through the desert from a band of starving city dwellers intent on roasting you over a spit, does not excuse you from not wearing a clean dry pair of skivvies!! Didn't your mother explain the importance of clean undies?

Comment

• Rustyshakelford
                    • Aug 2008

I actually did this and soaked the bag in the bathtub over night to make sure my undies stayed dry. Yep!!! They did.

Comment

• Big_Saw
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2008

Just because you are running through the desert from a band of starving city dwellers intent on roasting you over a spit, does not excuse you from not wearing a clean dry pair of skivvies!! Didn't your mother explain the importance of clean undies?
                      Pardon me, but if I'm running from a band of city-fried cannibals, I'm either out of ammo, or low on support, and my undies are as soiled as humanly possible....but it's cool, now I know to have a fresh, clean, dry pair of vacuum-packed skivvies to wear to the bar-b-que....still LMFAO....

I'll hand it to you, Rusty....you ae, without a doubt, the funniest SOB on any board I've come across.

Gotta go now....I'm sealing my BVDs.

Comment

• Rustyshakelford
                        • Aug 2008

Sometimes so. Try explaining to your spouse why you were caught taking a bath with alleged water proof containers full of toilet paper (just to make sure they are water proof). Yes, funny now, but not so much at the time. I also had a lot of explaining to do with the BVD's in a bag too. I think explaining why I was in a hot tub with a 20 year old Japanese Geisha would have been easier.

I always attempt to try stuff out BEFORE I really need it. If ziplock can keep my last pair of clean skivvies dry in a bathtub full of water, on a day before I had to report to my boss in Houston, then it would keep my coffee dry o n a cold desert night!!
                        Last edited by Rustyshakelford; 12-17-2008, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• Red Diamond Ranch
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2008

Sometimes so. Try explaining to your spouse why you were caught taking a bath with alleged water proof containers full of toilet paper (just to make sure they are water proof). Yes, funny now, but not so much at the time. I also had a lot of explaining to do with the BVD's in a bag too. I think explaining why I was in a hot tub with a 20 year old Japanese Geisha would have been easier.

I always attempt to try stuff out BEFORE I really need it. If ziplock can keep my last pair of clean skivvies dry in a bathtub full of water, on a day before I had to report to my boss in Houston, then it would keep my coffee dry o n a cold desert night!!
                          I nominate for RS as our official Consumer Testing agent. The position comes with our great gratitude, but zero monetary rewards. Do I hear a second to the nomination. :D
                          Mike

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow the fields of those who don't."-Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Big_Saw
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Red Diamond Ranch View Post
                            I nominate for RS as our official Consumer Testing agent. The position comes with our great gratitude, but zero monetary rewards. Do I hear a second to the nomination. :D
                            I'll second that....provided that he can devise a method for safely vacuum-sealing a 20 year-old geisha for extended storage, test it for hermetic integrity, and fit the package in his BoB.....lol

Comment

• Rustyshakelford
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Red Diamond Ranch View Post

I draw the line at bathing with #10 buckets of dried beans, a crank radio, and a solar powered flashlight. And there certainly will not be any photos of that either.
                              Last edited by Rustyshakelford; 12-17-2008, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X