Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canned Ham

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Canned Ham

    I know what you're thinking... "He's not going to post pictures of canned ham, is he??"

    Why yes I am.:D

    I keep a few of these babies on hand at all times. While rotating my stock last weekend I came across one with a best by date of Nov. 2009. I usually do a better job of rotating my canned goods, but this one slipped by. I figured this would make a decent test to see how the Royale canned hams weather with age. Smelled fine. I washed off the preservative "gellatin" before my wife could see it. (Would have been all over at that point), and sliced off a small piece... Tasted like canned ham... Who knew?
    We used about half the can diced up n campfire eggs, and the remaining half is pictured and destined for sandwich duty.
    These hams are nothing special, but I was glad to see they are still tasty well after the best by date.






    Did you notice the digital MARPAT background? That's right.. These Hams are tactical.
    Last edited by slowz1k; 04-15-2011, 04:30 PM.
    The 12ga.... It's not just for rabbits anymore.

  • #2
    tactical ham!! Sweet, thanks for sharing man pics are worth 1000 words
    WHAT IF THE AMERICA YOU KNEW, WAS ABOUT TO CHANGE?

    The best thing you can do to support the site is pass it on to your friends and fav sites like other forums, facebook, twitter etc. Let people know about us! :)

    Comment


    • #3
      I have about 25 of those in my preps. They aren't going to come out tasting or looking like your beautiful seasoned spiral ham that cost $30, but they will add to a meal of scrambled eggs, go into a casserole of scalloped potatoes, add a bit of meat to beans or even substitute for hamburg or chicken on top of a plate of spaghetti. For the three of us, it will last 2 meals, maybe 3 depending on what it's in. I figure is tshtf, we will be getting a lot more creative with our meals.

      Comment


      • #4
        We tried both the Royale brand and the Dak hams. We thought the Royale was better. Would be good in scrambled eggs but I tried making beans with it and it just didn't make it. It kind of fell apart. So with scalloped pots, eggs, just fried, maybe. Did not try our favorite spam recipe with it, will have to do so.
        "If Howdy Doody runs against him, I'm voting for the puppet." - SkyOwl's Wife, 2012

        Comment


        • #5
          I found they make an excelent sandwich spread, chop it up throw it into the food processor add Mayo and relish . For just me it lasts a week for Lunch.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by PT945 View Post
            I found they make an excelent sandwich spread, chop it up throw it into the food processor add Mayo and relish . For just me it lasts a week for Lunch.
            You forgot the minced onion.....:)

            Sliced into 1/4" pieces and fried until edges ate browned....make a great sammich.....add an onion and some egg.....cheese if you got it.
            Last edited by Echo2; 04-18-2011, 07:14 AM.
            Live like you'll die tomorrow, learn like you'll live forever.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Echo2 View Post
              You forgot the minced onion.....:)

              Sliced into 1/4" pieces and fried until edges ate browned....make a great sammich.....add an onion and some egg.....cheese if you got it.
              The egg and cheese sound good, but I'm not a fan of onions.

              Comment


              • #8
                Every time I do my regular shopping at the megamarts, I pick up one or two the canned hams...also find myself looking through different canned meats and comparing expiration dates for an approximate how long they will last on my shelf.

                Found they make single slice packages of Spam in little foil-like pouches. Few of these gives you some flexibility if you don't need to open up a huge canned chunk of meat, or would be perfect for the grab and go scenarios.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cj_002 View Post
                  Every time I do my regular shopping at the megamarts, I pick up one or two the canned hams...also find myself looking through different canned meats and comparing expiration dates for an approximate how long they will last on my shelf.

                  Found they make single slice packages of Spam in little foil-like pouches. Few of these gives you some flexibility if you don't need to open up a huge canned chunk of meat, or would be perfect for the grab and go scenarios.
                  Right on!!!!
                  I keep a few of those Spam singles in my 3day/GHB food pouch. Took me forever to find someone that sold them... Found them at the UNCG students market in the Elliot University Center (In GSO NC) of all places. I guess they new that if anyone would eat them, it would be the starving college kids. LOL
                  That was a while back when they were still a new item.. Of course now you can find them in almost every grocery store.
                  Last edited by slowz1k; 04-27-2011, 10:21 AM.
                  The 12ga.... It's not just for rabbits anymore.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I got to find a way to cook it that my wife will like it. She was forced to eat it as a child and hates it now.
                    A government that can give you everything you need is also strong enough to take it away!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X