X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skyowl's Wife
    • Mar 2009

Wild Edible Plants - A guide to safe gathering and usage

Woot! I've been thinking a lot about medicinal plants. This has some good info!
    There has been a good deal of talk lately on the survival boards about wild edible and medicinal plants. This is good in that people should be interested but also dangerous in that plants are easily misidentified, often contaminated with pollutants and sometimes dangerous to use medicinally.

Having taught many classes in wild edible plants I thought this would be a good time to share the rules for collecting and consuming wild edibles. While I would love to be able to show how to identify plants by using botanical keys that is beyond the scope of what can be done in a thread here.

Read all at http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread688379/pg1
    "If Howdy Doody runs against him, I'm voting for the puppet." - SkyOwl's Wife, 2012
  • hminus
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2010

That is a good post at ATS. I think it it the same person that has similar posts on another site. I made some pine needle tea one afternoon. It wasn't too bad. I have yet to cook up some pine bark (inner bark). The posting said it has very high Vit-C.

Comment

• bcauz3y
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011

I like taking our kids foraging on our land and eating as we go, then bringing back enough for a meal. Fun stuff! It is truly amazing how much is edible.

My favorite is a nice cup of pine tea on long camping trips.
      not an expert

Comment

• Oscar Wilde
        • Mar 2009

Plantain .... not the banana lookin thing. http://www.altnature.com/gallery/plantain.htm .... chew it and apply to poisonous bites to draw out venom. Can be eaten like lettuce or Dandelion greens. Also called pig's ear.

O.W.
        Things are seldom what they seem.

Comment

• ntwbn
          • May 2009

This is a great thread. I have a couple of books for edible wild plants.
          The Flower cook book by Adrienne Crowhurst, The Weed cookbook by Adrienne Crowhurst, Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants by Bradford Angier, Wild Edible Plants of New England by Joan Richardson.

Don't forget to check on half.com or addall.com for cheaper books rather then buying new.

Comment

• Skyowl's Wife
            • Mar 2009

Thanks, ntwbn, will check it out!
            "If Howdy Doody runs against him, I'm voting for the puppet." - SkyOwl's Wife, 2012

Comment

• Echo2
              The Ka-Tet of TK-421
              • Apr 2011

The Mrs has a bunch of stuff planted around the yard....

lemon grass....catnip....various mints....more than I can remember.

She is into the herbal remedies thing.....I'll send her this site.
              Live like you'll die tomorrow, learn like you'll live forever.

Comment

• Echo2
                The Ka-Tet of TK-421
                • Apr 2011

The Mrs has a bunch of stuff planted around the yard....

lemon grass....catnip...various mints....more than I can remember.

She's into the herbal healing thing....I'll send her the links....thanks.
                Live like you'll die tomorrow, learn like you'll live forever.

Comment

• Skyowl's Wife
                  • Mar 2009

Well, send her the links and get her on here to share her knowledge!

Comment

• Brother Bill
                    • May 2010

Good link. Thanks for the info..

Comment

Working...
                    X