Freeze drying Vs. Dehydrating Vs. Traditional canning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeze drying Vs. Dehydrating Vs. Traditional canning

As I transition to a new place, I'm trying to figure out what my long term food "staples" will be. Fresh meat and gardens will get a person a long way, we plan on relying on that kind of resource. It's good to have a backup plan, of course. I've had experience with canning and dehydrating. They are great methods to preserve food. However, one of the few things I'm looking at is a HarvestRight freeze Dryer. If you spend a few minutes looking at YouTube videos, you'll get blown away. Most of the food processed has a 20+ year shelf life.

Most of your emergency supply foods are freeze dried and cost an arm and a leg. Now, the freeze dryer aint cheap either, however, in the long run it looks like it pays for itself.

Anyone have a unit like this? or experience?

Love to hear from ya!

-Buggy
    Freeze dry food with a Harvest Right freeze dryer. Freeze dried food is the best emergency food storage. Purchase a freeze dryer to preserve food.
    I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

I've used one but unfortunately can't afford one. They are AWESOME!!! If water isn't an issue, I prefer freeze dried to dehydrated or canned. I't easy to make entire meals with one. We did our meat, then vegetables of different varieties and could mix up a variety of soups, stews and stir fries by just altering the spices and additives. Even easier was just Freeze drying our left overs and packaging them as meals. The were great for camping and hunting.

If Harvest Right would care to loan me a unit I will continue to sing there praises.

Seriously, they are very nice.

Dale

Comment

Interesting...
      A combo mini-freezer, vac-oven and mini vac-pump ??
      Couple of 'WTF' concerns:
      Power supply ? How much draw, how fussy ??
      Is 'clever', so risk of 'natural' screen degradation over several years. What of line-glitches due local lightning strikes ? EMP ??
      Serviceability ? Will you need a bespoke set of seals etc and a 'coolant' top-up in 4~~5 years ??

I'm not saying 'Bad Idea', I'm just concerned you'll lose the use...

---
      My 'String' tale is still stymied because I cannot yet find a practicable way to preserve the narrator's neighbours' slowly-thawing freezer contents.

Seems you cannot get 'pickling salt' in UK beyond trivial quantities, as the small but essential nitrite/nitrate content may be leached for use in EODs.
      Yeah, right.
      Without a really big drum of dry-salting salt or a zillion Mason jars, plot coming around to 'Home Smoking'. Easy enough for a few cuts, but the logistics for a lot is non-trivial. Especially starting from zero...

Comment

Perhaps my question should be in another thread.

My question, regarding which food storage method is better, is this. How much food does one need to store and for how long? Regardless of the process used to store the food, can you really use all of it?

Reviewing history, specifically the economic breakdowns in Brazil, Argentina, Kosovo, and Syria, I see that the effects of war and economic collapse stabilize quickly or people simply leave. Why have 10 years of food on hand if normal cycles of survival are less than that?

Would being mobile be better than being well-stocked but unable to get out?
        If it was man made it can be man re-made.

Comment

What you don't need to eat, you may trade. And, perhaps, such foodstuffs being 'vittles' will raise fewer eye-brows, spawn less gossip than if 'luxury'. A few precious cans / jars of store goods would make your dealing more convincing. Donating some makings towards eg a festive meal or wedding dinner, or contributing if mishap destroys a neighbour's stores, would earn much good-will.

Just remember that forest and scrub may burn, slopes may slump, rivers may rise and the ground may shake, several scenarios leaving you without GPS to locate where to dig in deranged landscape. IMHO, severe volcanic ash-fall is low-probability, as the Cascades etc seem quiet, but Aleutian chain and their Siberian kin are restless if not actually erupting. One season of vog, haze, crop failures etc would be bad. Murphy's Law will so bite your butt if you already have problems...

As ever, you do not want all your 'eggs' in one basket. If placed under sufficient duress by roving banditos, 'semi-official militia' or 'local authorities' bearing 'scrip', you should be able to yield a convincing cache...

Comment

Working...
          X