Canning Caramelized Onions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canning Caramelized Onions

Canning Caramelized Onions – We all love cooked onions on our burgers and in many other things but to get them to that perfect soft, slightly sweet, perfect golden brown takes time, Sometimes as long as an hour depending on how many we need and the constant watching and stirring gets old. So a solution is to make up a batch and freeze or can them to have on hand. If you love French onion soup this can jump start that process as well.

Get out your crock pot. Mine is a 4 qt. You will need about a pound of onions for each quart to fill the pot, so 4 lbs. onions for me. Slice your onions. My preferred method is to slice in half vertically (top to root end), then peel them leaving most of the root intact so it doesn’t come apart while you are slicing and then slice the halves crosswise into half rounds about ¼ inch thick. You can use a knife or a mandolin (like I do). Put the onions in the crock pot. Don’t worry if they mound a little, as long as the lid covers them you are okay. Sprinkle with a teaspoon of salt. You can add more salt at the end if needed. Cover and cook on LOW for 10 hours. You can stir once or twice during cook time but is not necessary. They will be juicy.

At this point you can proceed to make French onion soup, or can. Or you can drain, store in the fridge up to 2 weeks or freeze. If you want to you can cook for a couple more hours with the lid propped open so the steam escapes until you have almost an onion jam. That is good too!

To reheat, a few min in a skillet over medium heat with a pat of butter/olive oil (if not added before) and they are ready to go. I haven’t tried the microwave so you are on your own there.

If you wish you may add some or all of the following before cooking if you are using them soon or freezing them. If you plan on canning them omit the butter/oil. Oil/butter can be added when reheating.
    • 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
    • 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
    • 4 Tablespoons To 5 Tablespoons Butter OR 3 to 4 Tablespoons of Olive Oil

If canning: fill jars to within one inch of top. Do NOT PACK ! Remove any air, add cooking juice to return to 1 inch mark, clean rim of jar, put on your lids and rings and process according to your presser canner’s directions. My presto pressure canner says to process at 11 lbs. for 90 minutes for half pints and pints. Any oil or butter in the onions may prevent jar from sealing or cause uneven heating of the contents resulting in an unsafe product. There are recipes on the internet that use oil and or butter but are not approved.
    I prefer half pint jars. That is enough for 4 burgers or a large pot of mashed potatoes. a pot of stew, a pot of beans, chili, etc. If I have juice left over I either can or freeze it and add that to stew, beans, chili as well. Even pot roast.
    Last edited by ZAGran; 10-25-2019, 02:02 PM. Reason: error in canning time!

Now I'm just plain hungry. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION
      An error was made in the time for pressure canning the onions! Should have been 90 minutes NOT 40 Correction has been made in origional post
      Last edited by ZAGran; 10-25-2019, 02:09 PM. Reason: make font larger

Comment

That's smth new to me, I'm eager to try

Comment

Working...
        X