Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Access to purified water will become a huge problem for many.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad you enjoyed my turn of phrase. I really enjoy your song idea. Cool. Go with it!

Comment

Great song idea. I have had a berky for over 10 years. One of the things they tell you is to use red food coloring. If the filters are still good it will filter out all the red die. But what was said about about calulating how many times you have used it is still best. I think Morgan was right on that. I now have about 10 or 12 filters as I was buying them every time they went on sale over a 10 year period. I used one set to try out the water and it was great. I have since used up that first set but decided to save the rest for the hard times.

Comment

Chorus
        "I've a bunker for my Berkey and soon to have one for me
        In case of radiation, don't you see.
        I've a bunker for my Berkey, won't you come live with me?"

Great love song for the radioactive apocalypse!

Comment

There are many factors. For example, if you drink water with certain bacteria with good immunity, yours will become much stronger.

Another option is pollution in the urban environment to which the human body cannot adapt. For example, a lot of iron or chemical impurities. The body is not able to get rid of it. These impurities cannot occur in wildlife in such quantities that the body has no means of protection. That's what filters are needed for.

I’ll choose a filter for my family at the moment, but for the time being, I cannot decide on a specific choice. I need some of this https://wisepick.org/best-whole-house-water-filter/. My water is too hard and I started having problems with it, soon I will have children, I do not want them to suffer like me.

Comment

With respect, nuclear contamination via anything worse than a 'dirty bomb' is very low probability. Fukushima lessons learned...

Your water supply is more at risk from a quake, volcanic eruption, forest fire, mine spillage or widespread flooding.

Your springs and local wells may have their 'dependable' aquifer deranged by an otherwise harmless quake. They may settle down, they may not. So, have a 'Plan B'...

IMHO, the US got lucky with Mt. St.Helens. The lateral slump and blast totally ruined the neighbourhood, but a regular 'Pinatubo' eruption would have spread all that stuff across the Mid-West, heavily fouled the entire Mississippi / Missouri catchment...

A little fluoride is good for teeth, excess causes fluoridosis...

Should the el Nino / La Nina / ENSO cycle set the scene for another massive forest burn, waterways will be polluted by ash, then mud-slides and other wash-off. IIRC, rule-of-thumb is a decade for slopes to stabilise, for the filth to really, really clear.

Mine spillage ? Tailings dam failure ? There's enough toxins to foul all the way to the coast. Worse, such stuff may mix with sediments, re-mobilise every time the rivers rise. Recursively. And if that stuff gets into the river gravels from which you draw water, oops...
            Here's an interesting take...
            https://blogs.agu.org/landslideblog/...-dam-failures/

Flooding is a grim 'gotcha', especially combined with earth-quakes, as may mobilise industrial-scale pollutants. Coastal flooding, from mega-thrust quake subsidence, storm surge and/or tsunami, may salinate essential wells' aquifer. How fast does water move within such an aquifer ? It varies, but I've read of cases where one (1) uncapped well contaminated the aquifer for miles around, potentially for several centuries...

IIRC, to add insult to injury, replacement wells tapped a deeper aquifer with low, but cumulative levels of arsenic...

Due Care, Please ??

Comment

To get away from a Nuclear Option I will talk about muddy river water. Yes most major rivers have mud in it. Several good You Tube videos show work around this problem. If you are like me and use river water as one of your sources you need to review those videos

Comment

Working...
              X