Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Access to purified water will become a huge problem for many.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access to purified water will become a huge problem for many.

Access to purified water will become a huge problem for many.
    Note: I am not a water filtration expert.

I use the following as described on Amazon.com.
    Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System

I bought it at Walmart and use it for filtering water from usual water sources like water fountains, municipal water. I highly recommend it for this.

For more questionable sources of water, I would first want the water filtered or purified in some other way, before using the Sawyer Mini.

Contact Alert - https://alert.simdif.com

That Mini will let you drink out of Questionable water. Now would i try it with a bucket of raw sewage or a puddle with a qt of motor oil floating on it... no but I've used one of these for a few years and works great. Biggest thing in the winter put it in a ziploc and keep it inside an inside jacket pocket to keep it from freezing.

If you're looking for larger volumes of water the Berky water purifier can't be beat.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

I find that living where there is pure drinking water abundant and everywhere, to be the best solution.
      One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

In case of nuclear contamination of sources of drinking water, I am considering this type of filter:

https://www.berkeywater.com/news/a-l...-contaminants/

(I like this one for portability: https://www.berkeywater.com/go-berke...berkey-primer/)

Test results: http://berkeywaterkb.com/black-berke...-test-results/

Some helpful tips for storage and optimum shelf life: http://berkeywaterkb.com/how-should-...ir-shelf-life/

https://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkey-answers/berkey-water-filter-faq/

When do I need to replace the Black Berkey filter elements in my system?

Use one of the 2 methods below:

Preferred Method
        1. Take the number of Black Berkey filtering elements in your system and multiply it by 3,000. This number will be the (Total Life) in gallons.
        2. Estimate the average amount of water you filter through your Berkey per day. This number will be the (Total Use) in gallons.
        3. Then simply divide the (Total Life) by the (Total Use). This number represents how many days your filter will effectively treat your water before needing to replace them.
        4. As a reminder, with a permanent marker write the date that you calculated the need for Berkey replacement filters on the bottom of your unit.

Example: If you have a two filter Big Berkey and your used 4 gallons of water per day. You would multiply 2 (#of filters) by 3000 = 6000 (Total Life), then divide 6000 by 4 (total use) = 1500 days the filters will last, That's a little over four years!
        The Black Berkey filters in your unit will never stop working. The rate that the filters produce water will slow down. This is an indication that the filter needs to be cleaned. This brings us to the second method. If after cleaning your elements they do not filter any faster; it is time to replace them.

Black Berkey®

"...In a crisis scenario, such as an accidental or weaponized nuclear incident, it is important to have a survival water filter truly capable of removing or greatly reducing radiological contaminants at the ready.

In such cases, the primary objective for those in a contaminated hot zone would be to get to a non-contaminated zone as quickly as possible. Therefore, you would want to choose a solution that fits the following requirements:
        • Extreme tested to demonstrate effectiveness
        • Portable, so it can easily travel with you and your family
        • No electricity or water pressure required to operate the filter
        • Capable of producing sufficient water for your group in a timely manner

As we will discuss, Berkey ® Systems using Black Berkey® Purification Elements are the ideal choice for everyone considering a gravity-fed, survival water filter.

For those who are unfortunate enough to be caught in a radiological contamination zone, it is recommended that the Black Berkey ® Purification Elements be replaced as soon as is feasible post-evacuation. This is because the more radiological contaminants the elements remove, the more radioactive the elements themselves become. Consider having backup sets of Black Berkey®Purification Elements in your emergency kits or bags at all times to make the switch quickly.

Some filter elements may show strong results in a test using one water sample. In contrast, NMCL believes that it is vitally important that the reduction capability of our Black Berkey ® Purification Elements be tested over time. Therefore, Berkey® Systems conducted the radiological contaminant reduction testing of the Black Berkey® Purification Elements to 50 gallons; an extreme situation and test.

Our approach provides information on the rate of decline in efficiency, and verifies that the rate of decline is not significant. For example, in our Gross Alpha Reduction Test, the efficiency reduces from 99.2% to 98.7% after 50 gallons. This represents a reduction in efficiency of only 0.5% (1/2 of 1%) after 50 gallons, which likely indicates that at the end of the 3,000 gallon life of the element, the reduction level should still be around 70%. Also, take a look at our Gross Beta Reduction Test and Uranium Reduction Test, both of which similarly demonstrate the reduction capabilities of the Black Berkey® Purification Elements over time.

Your best protection against radiologicals in water is to have a water purification system that has been rigorously tested to remove radionuclides to below detectable levels. In a crisis situation, Berkey ® Water Purification Systems are portable, travel easily, and function without electricity or water pressure, making them the ultimate survival tool.
        Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 11-02-2018, 10:01 AM.
        Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

Almost everyone understands the need to kill virus and bacteria. It is as simple as boiling for 5 minutes.

But the real problem is chemicals in the water. heavy metals can remain for years! You do not want to drink, eat, or bath in lead or worst mercury!!!!

SO the filters you purchase must must remove all chemicals!!!!! NO boiling will not remove chemicals.

Comment

I'm not sure but I'm assuming that this is primarily being able to purify water at your bug out site/home. I've always held the belief that I should never rely on anything I can't produce for myself. To that end I have a 3 bucket (gravel, sand, charcoal) filtration system for our rainwater cistern. I also have a supply of bleach (about 10 years worth for water purification) for back up and a UV light system (solar run) for my primary system. I always have other backup systems in case we have to go but I consider those as short term and non replaceable in TEOTWAWKI events.

Dale
            Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

Originally posted by Sourdough View Post
              I find that living where there is pure drinking water abundant and everywhere, to be the best solution.
              Where would that be?

Comment

Originally posted by Snyper708 View Post

Where would that be?
                I've never had to boil or filter or treat water in the 49 years here in Alaska.
                One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sourdough View Post

I've never had to boil or filter or treat water in the 49 years here in Alaska.
                  That really doesn't mean it's pure.
                  It just means no one is testing it.

If it's not coming from a deep well there's a good chance it's contaminated with something.
                  Those fish and beavers are crapping and dying in the streams every day.

Comment

That really doesn't mean it's pure.
                    Those fish and beavers are crapping and dying in the streams every day.
                    That is true...........But here is something to think about. I am 72 y/o and have spent the last 49 years drinking water that animals die in, crap in, insects lay eggs in, and other disgusting stuff. If the SHTF and there is no way to purify large amounts of water for your group.......would they rather have my digesting system, or their digesting system that has spent its entire life drinking city treated water....???

Why do Mexicans drink water that gives Americans massive rectal eruptions.......???

I was born and raised on a small dairy farm, we bathed once a week, and we drank water from the creek (UN-treated) and we drank milk straight from the cow. I think this obsession with cleanliness and treated water, and pasteurized everything.......makes most Americans at a severe disadvantage in a massive world wide SHTF event.

Also noteworthy.......I have never ever had a headache, and the last time I had a cold or flu was 1985.
                    Last edited by Sourdough; 11-05-2018, 04:59 PM.

Comment

That's an awful lot of words about you, but it still doesn't mean the water is pure.
                      It just means you've been lucky to not get sick more often.

Comment

That's an awful lot of words about you, but it still doesn't mean the water is pure.
                        "LUCKY"???????????? Exactly how many drinks of water would you guess I have drank in the last 49 years. Maybe your grasp of the word "LUCKY" is strange.

Comment

I have had this exact same discussion many times on several different forums.........and nearly everyone thinks exactly like you about this. I just don't understand, that thinking. I guess there is one or two generations who have been so conditioned to believe that all water has to be treated.

Comment

Yep, pretty much...except for those who have been acclimated to various "bugs" (pathogens) over a lifetime. I remember grandparents and great-grandparents who did the same as you, with no ill effects. Same for the folks of yesteryear as well.

Acclimation is key to a more robust immune system. However, there are water-borne pathogens such as typhoid fever, cholera, and others that are capable of knocking down otherwise strong people. But not likely to happen if there are no human vectors in the area...
                            Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

I've been drinking the water from WV springs and seeps for over 50 years now and never been sick. Smart enough to not EVER drink from the creeks and streams. Not wild about giardia and some of the other natural causes of the back door trots. LOL!

Dale
                              Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

Working...
                              X