Ketchup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ketchup

My husband has been wanting me to can ketchup of all things now for a month. So I pulled out the ball blue book and made him some ketchup. He went nuts over it and I must say it is so much better than store bought. I made some tater tots and eggs for breafest this morning and he used a quarter jar of ketchup I had left over from canning for his taters. Now it looks like I will be canning ketchup from now on. But on a side note. Learning how to make and can a lot of this stuff will be great practice for when SHTF does happen.

Please post the recipe and processing procedures!

I've always wanted to make BBQ sauce from scratch but every recipe I find says "Add Ketchup" .. How the heck is it from scratch if you're starting with a bottle of processed ketchup..

Comment

I want your recipe too! I have several ketchup & BBQ recipes that I like, but always open to trying more.

I am a fan of low to no-sugar recipes and end up modifying almost all of them, lol.
      Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

Grizzly we do the same with sugar as we are both diabetics. Here is one of two ways to make Ketchup.
        this one is a bit harder to do.

1 stick cinnamon, broken
        1 teaspoon whole cloves
        1 teaspoon mustard seeds
        1 teaspoon celery seed
        1 cup vinegar
        8 lbs of tomatoes I like Roma for this
        1 cup chopped onion
        1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
        1 cup sugar
        1 tablespoon salt

Place cinnamon stick, cloves, mustard seed, and celery seed in a spice bag: add to vinegar. Bring vinegar and spices to a boil, remove from heat and let stand. Peel, core and quarter tomatoes. Combine tomatoes, onions, and cayenne pepper. Simmer until soft. Press through a sieve or food mill. Add sugar to tomato pulp. Bring to a boil: simmer until reduced by half. Remove spice bag from vinegar. Add vinegar and salt to tomato mixture. Simmer until desired consistency, about 30 minutes.. Cool. ladle ketchup into freezer containers.
        This is not the one I did but for anyone that does not can they can freeze this one.

This one is for canning:
        4 quarts chopped, peeled ,cored tomatoes (about 24 large)
        1 cup chopped onion (about 1 med.)
        1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper (about 1/2 med.)
        1 1/2 cup celery seed
        1 teaspoon whole allspice
        1 teaspoon mustard seed
        1 stick cinnamon
        1 cup sugar
        1 tablespoon salt
        1 tablespoon paprika
        1 1/2 cup vinegar

Cook tomatoes, onions, and pepper until soft. press through a sieve or food mill. Cook pulp rapidly until thick and reduced by one-half, about 1 hour. Tie whole spices in a spice bag. Add spice bag, sugar, salt, and paprika to tomato mixture. Cook gently about 25 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Remove spice bag. Ladle hot ketchup into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust 2 piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath. This yields about 3 Pints.

These are the blue ball directions:
        Now for the way I did it. It is faster and easier.
        I went to sam's club and bought a 6 1/2 lb can of diced roma organic tomatoes in tomato sauce. Then I bought a package of Mrs. Wages tomato mix. I just followed the directions on the Mrs. Wages pack and came out with 7 1/4 pint jars of ketchup. For me it was easier but I am going to try the one above next year when garden comes in. I didn't have any roma tomatoes this year because hubby was stubbran and didn't plant those this year. So I got organic canned tomatoes that worked great.

So there are more receipes in the ball blue books as well as in Joys of cooking.

You can control the sugar in any of these. We use Stevia.
        Last edited by Applejack; 10-07-2018, 02:30 PM. Reason: About the sugar

Comment

Thank you! Do you like to use the stevia to replace all of the sugar, part of it, or...?

Have you ever tried using the addition of just a little coconut sugar for added flavor depth which gives just a hint of brown sugar/molasses? It does not have the glycemic punch that regular sugar has.

Comment

I don't care for stevia that much but I really haven't thought about other things. Sometimes I will get the stevia that is for baking that has part stevia and part sugar. I have never heard of coconut sugar but sounds like it would be better for diabetics. I will have to look for that one.. Don't know how it would effect ketchup taste but would love to find out next time I make it. I plan on using the blue ball book reciepe next time as I am going to plant roma tomatoes next spring.

Comment

I also use organic xylitol as a sweetener (no weird aftertaste). Good stuff, dat!

Comment

Thanks Grizzly.. I will have to give these a try to see how we like it. No aftertaste works for me as stevia can in some cases leave an aftertaste.

Comment

One brand of stevia that does not leave an aftertaste is organic Pyure. Walmart has it.

Comment

That is good to know.. I have to make a trip to walmart for the samaritan house christmas shoe boxes. So I will check that out.

Comment

Working...
                    X