Freeze Dried Food Deal >>Group Buy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeze Dried Food Deal >>Group Buy

I just thought I'd throw this out and see if anyone is interested.

I'm an engineer and design machinery for all kinds of industry. When I started prepping, one of the first things I did was to contact a plant manager I did some work for and ask if I could purchase some product straight from the factory.. They produce all kinds of egg products and the plant manager ended up sending me 200 lbs of powdered whole eggs on a pallet.. I didn't even need to pay for them or for the shipping as he did it just because he liked my work.

Anyhow, last June, I contacted him and asked him if he could introduce me to any food distributors who could hook me up with wholesale prices on freeze dried products.. I was mostly interested in fruits.

So he did exactly that and now I have a source for freeze dried foods at stupidly cheap prices. The problem is that I have to order a minimum of 100 pounds (any combination) and I don't need 100 lbs of any freeze dried food product. 100 lbs of freeze dried food is a lot of freaking food as the stuff isn't very heavy.

So anyhow, I'm interested in getting some freeze dried fruits... Prices vary depending on the product.

20# sliced F/D Banana, $9.93/lb
    20# sliced F/D fuji apple with peel, $17.82/lb.
    25# sliced F/D Raspberry, $ 25.51/lb.
    15# 1/4" Sliced F/D Strawberry, $ 27.589/lb.

If you shop around online and find the cheapest price available, you'll find these prices are about half of what retail is.

The plan would be to have the product shipped to my location and then I would ship it out to the various members. If you like, I can even put it in Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers.

I'm NOT looking to make any profit on this.. My profit is not having to pay crazy retail pricing and since I'm going to save well over $400, that's my profit..

I have not completely thought this whole thing through so if there are concerns, we'll need to address them. I'm just putting out feelers.

Please note, if you are new to the forum and have one or two postings or in any way make me suspicious of your intentions, I reserve the right to refuse this offer..

How is it packaged when it comes to you.......??? Yes, I could be interested.

What state are you in......???

Comment

I've never ordered it before so I don't know, but it doesn't come from some guy's garage.. it's straight from the factory/farm that produces it at a commercial facility. When I got eggs and potato flakes delivered, they were in heavy duty cardboard boxes with a single large and thick clear plastic bag zip tied closed.

I'm in Michigan.

I would be willing to take a photo of the original shipment when it arrives to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy View Post

I would be willing to take a photo of the original shipment when it arrives to me.
        Don't need any photos. Just trying to understand the process.

My interest, would be in the following products.

sliced F/D Raspberry, $ 25.51/lb.
        1/4" Sliced F/D Strawberry, $ 27.589/lb.

Question: As we are brain storming this........I wonder if you ordered 100 pound minimum order.........would they ship part of the order to different locations.....??? or does the entire shipment need to go to one location.........?? If part of your 100# order was a 15# box of 1/4" Sliced F/D Strawberry, $ 27.589/lb. WOULD they ship the 15# box direct to me as part of your 100# order. I would have prepaid you the approx. $415.00

Comment

Originally posted by Sourdough View Post

Don't need any photos. Just trying to understand the process.

My interest, would be in the following products.

sliced F/D Raspberry, $ 25.51/lb.
          1/4" Sliced F/D Strawberry, $ 27.589/lb.

Question: As we are brain storming this........I wonder if you ordered 100 pound minimum order.........would they ship part of the order to different locations.....??? or does the entire shipment need to go to one location.........?? If part of your 100# order was a 15# box of 1/4" Sliced F/D Strawberry, $ 27.589/lb. WOULD they ship the 15# box direct to me as part of your 100# order. I would have prepaid you the approx. $415.00
          It has to come to me.. if they think I'm selling it, they'll think I'm trying to profit from them doing me a favor, and while I am selling it, I'm not profiting and only doing it to meet the minimum order.... These people ship hundreds of pounds at a time and don't sell to individuals.. They don't even take credit cards, I have to send them a business check from my company.

So you want 15 pounds of 1/4" sliced strawberries? how much of the Raspberries?

Find some more people.. I think one or two more would do the trick.

Comment

The shipping is a substantial issue to deal with. It quickly runs up the cost.

Comment

The shipping is a substantial issue to deal with. It quickly runs up the cost.
              Ya, you'll have to do a bit of math to get an accurate figure. I'm in Michigan.. you can use zipcode 48314 for reference.

Look up the retail prices +shipping and then compare to what I'm getting and add in shipping costs.. that's the only way to get a reasonably accurate idea.

Comment

Interested in seeing where this goes, not sure what I'd want to order. As mentioned, shipping would be a consideration.

Comment

From the math I've been doing, if you order one or two pounds, a $10 to $15 shipping charge will have a significant effect but still be lower than Mountain House or other retailers.
                  But if you order $300 worth, the shipping, in the lower 48 states anyhow, becomes insignificant when you add up the savings and include shipping.

Comment

I would be interested in buying a couple of boxes, but probably not much more than that. Shipping would not be a prohibitive cost for me.
                    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

How about everyone list exactly what they want and lets see if we have enough yet....

Comment

I don't think this opportunity is going to work for me. But, I appreciate the invitation. Thanks.

Comment

I don't think this opportunity is going to work for me. But, I appreciate the invitation. Thanks.
                          Didn't you say you were in Alaska? I can see how that would be a problem with shipping...

Comment

Might be interested in some Murphy. Are you thinking you'd do this up in like 1# or 5# mylar bags to make shipping easier? I wonder how large a bag you could stuff into those USPS priority post boxes. Do they still do that if it fits it ships for like $4-5?

I used to work remotely for a company close to u in the 48083 zip.
                            I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
                              Might be interested in some Murphy. Are you thinking you'd do this up in like 1# or 5# mylar bags to make shipping easier? I wonder how large a bag you could stuff into those USPS priority post boxes. Do they still do that if it fits it ships for like $4-5?

I used to work remotely for a company close to u in the 48083 zip.
                              I don't have any experience with freeze dried food so I'm not sure. I'm kind of wondering about its bulk to weight ratio and have been doing research on it. Seems like most fruits lose between 90 to 95% of their weight while retaining about the same volume.

From what I can tell, a five pound bag of something like freeze dried banana's is going to be about the size of two or three shoe boxes. They sell #10 cans of FD banana's and they're listed as 1 lb net weight.

I have 2 gallon Mylar bags available in my supplies. I also have some 5 or 10 gallon bags.. but those are huge. I put oats and flour in them and shove them in 55 gallon drums for storage.

Comment

Working...
                              X