Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few things to think about when food is scarce.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few things to think about when food is scarce.

When you need every last smidgen of food a spatula is the way to go. I prefer the silicon with a wooden handle because it can be used when things are very hot without melting. But any kind will work even wooden ones. You can use it to scrape every last bit out of a pan, pot or bowl, just like you do cake batter.
    If you can't get it all that way, add a tablespoon of water, stir it around with the spatula or a spoon, dragging it up the sides. ( When camping or cooking out and I open a can of chili for hot dogs, I scrape the can, add a little water stir it around, drag it up the sides and scrap it out.) Repeat as necessary as needed.
    With home canned foods usually a tablespoon or 2 of water in the jar, put the lid back on, shake well and scrape with the spatula. Remember every morsel counts!.

Some canned foods, both bought and home canned, meat, fruit and veggies, are packed in sugar syrup, water or broth. Believe it or not, that liquid has calories and nutrition that have leached out of the canned item. Even the liquid from all fresh cooked foods, have a bit nutrition and a few calories in it. PLUS you get hydration (water) you need. You can drink it or use it in soups or sauces (gravy). Don't throw it out! Every drop counts! Get in the habit now getting every little bit of nutrition and every drop of liquid for hydration you can.

Great pointers Z. We love those silicone spatulas though we prefer the ones where the handle is molded completely over. No cracks or crevices to try to get food stuff out of. The silicone basting brushes are also great to as you can get them clean unlike the natural fiber basting brushes.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

I never throw any food away, not even the smallest scrap, or crumbs. NOTHING. What I will not eat, I use for bait. Mostly bear bait, but it works for coyote, fox and birds.
      One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

Great tips, ZAGran. Thanks for sharing.
        The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
          Great pointers Z. We love those silicone spatulas though we prefer the ones where the handle is molded completely over. No cracks or crevices to try to get food stuff out of. The silicone basting brushes are also great to as you can get them clean unlike the natural fiber basting brushes.
          I have yet to find a one piece silicone spatula. When I do I'm buying 4!

Comment

Originally posted by ZAGran View Post

I have yet to find a one piece silicone spatula. When I do I'm buying 4!
            Here you go in 4 different colors... their brushes are great too.(2nd link)

https://www.amazon.com/Zicome-Large-...zicome+spatula

https://www.amazon.com/Zicome-Silico...f411b0ff214022

Comment

Melvin......

Are you ignoring me?

-Buggy
              I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

Gran,

We love those silicon spatulas and have a bunch in a container on the counter. Been hungry before and didn't like the experience but must admit, since the girls have moved out, I'm still trying to get my proportions right for cooking. Most leftovers get eaten that week but some things get pushed to the back of the fridge and forgotten. Especially if I get busy of the week. Started bagging and freezing some leftovers for meals latter in the month. That seems to work for us. I also love the silicon pastry brushes. Even have one with a long handle for basting and BBQing on the grill.

Dale

Comment

Dale! In the works to make you a moderator. Maybe someone else. We're short staffed here.

-Buggy
                  I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

Here you go in 4 different colors... their brushes are great too.(2nd link)

https://www.amazon.com/Zicome-Large-...zicome+spatula

https://www.amazon.com/Zicome-Silico...f411b0ff214022
                    Thanks for the links! These have a stainless steel core that keeps the long handles stiff, unlike some of the older ones that don't and get floppy over time. seems like they would last a longer time than what I currently have. Like the colors too. In dim light they would show up better than the black or darker colors. Remember, there may be a time when you have to limit light either by rationing or failure of electric.

Comment

Originally posted by dalewick View Post
                      Gran,
                      Even have one with a long handle for basting and BBQing on the grill.Dale
                      You don't remember where you got it do you? I've been wanting a long handle one as I'm tired or singing off my knuckle and arm hair everytime I try to baste on the grill...

Comment

You don't remember where you got it do you? I've been wanting a long handle one as I'm tired or singing off my knuckle and arm hair everytime I try to baste on the grill...
                        I got it in the grill section of Lowes. The handle actually pivots so you have the head at an angle which makes it a lot easier to baste your food.

Dale

Comment

Thanks Dale, I'll take a look there next time I go down.

Comment

Another hint. Ketchup and mustard bottles (and many other condiments with narrow necks make it almost impossible to get that last couple of tablespoons out. Mix 1 tablespoon of water with 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Pour mixture in the bottle one teaspoon at a time and put the lid on. Shake well, then turn the bottle upside down with the for a few minutes, If nothing moves add another teaspoon of water/vinegar and continue until it starts to move. Most of the thicker condiments like BBQ sauces and salad dressings have either tomato base or contain some sort of vinegar or acid so the half vinegar half water will maintain the taste.

Comment

Originally posted by ZAGran View Post
                              Another hint. Ketchup and mustard bottles (and many other condiments with narrow necks make it almost impossible to get that last couple of tablespoons out. Mix 1 tablespoon of water with 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Pour mixture in the bottle one teaspoon at a time and put the lid on. Shake well, then turn the bottle upside down with the for a few minutes, If nothing moves add another teaspoon of water/vinegar and continue until it starts to move. Most of the thicker condiments like BBQ sauces and salad dressings have either tomato base or contain some sort of vinegar or acid so the half vinegar half water will maintain the taste.
                              My life-long problem is solved now. Thank youuu.

Comment

Working...
                              X