Question about sweet potatoes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about sweet potatoes

Every year I make a sweet potato casserole. My grandchildren love it and insist that I make it every Thanksgiving and Christmas. My question is could I can this without the topping as I know the topping would not be good to can.
    Here is the recipe and maybe ZAGran or one of the others on here could tell me if I could can the main part of this.

3 cups cooked sweet potatoes. (boil on stove in skins till done).
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup softened butter
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/3 cup milk (canned)
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 eggs beaten
    Remove skins from potatoes
    mix above into mashed up sweet potatoes and put into greased baking dish.

Topping:
    1/2 cup light brown sugar
    1/3 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup melted butter
    1//3 cup flour
    1 cup chopped nuts ( I use pecans)
    mix by hand and pour on top of sweet potatoes.
    bake at 350 degrees for 45 mins. or till done.

My question is could I can the sweet potatoes with the ingredents and leave out the butter and eggs. Till I want to make this and then just add it in when I want to make it. I would need to maybe leave out the milk as well. I would be following the canning directions for canning sweet potatoes but with some of the things like the brown sugar, white sugar and vanilla. I have to double this recipe everytime I make it and was thinking it might save me a little time.

cups cooked sweet potatoes. (boil on stove in skins till done).
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup softened butter
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/3 cup milk (canned)
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 eggs beaten

Honestly, I wouldn't. You may can the yams/sweet potatoes though, but like canning pumpkin, I would do it in cubes, as otherwise it will be too dense, as pureed pumpkin is too dense to safely can, and must be canned as cubes.

The sugars probably could be part of the canning jars, but you would also require water, which will negate your sugars unless you don't pour iff the canning liquid.

Commercial canneries can do it, as they have million dollar canners which get to temps we can't get at home.

I love home canned sweet potatoes. For fun once, I also did a few pints of irish potatoes. I have grown sweet potatoes in cow mineral lick buckets with success in Canada.. if you have not grown them before, give it a go. The ones I canned, I bought by the case from a local store.

Cedar

Comment

I do can white potatoes but never sweet potatoes. Maybe I will just can the sweet potatoes as you say just in cubes like you say. I am sure that when I make my casserole I could use those at that time and just add what I need to make it. I was hoping I could make it a bit easier but even using the canned sweet potatoes would be easier than having to cook in skins and then remove skins and mash up before adding the rest of ingredents..

Comment

You can skin sweet potatoes before cooking with no ill effects. There might be a slight discoloration if you wrap the sweet potato in aluminum foil and cook like any baked potato, but for boiling or pan frying there is minimum discoloration if any. Skinning saves both time and your fingers from too hot potato peeling!

Comment

Hello sunring. Haven't seen you on here in a while. Glad to see you back. The recipe above calls for cooking the sweet potatoes in skins. I do not know the reason for that except that the skins slide right off. For just canning sweet potatoes though I would just skin them and then get them ready to can.

Comment

Originally posted by sunring View Post
            You can skin sweet potatoes before cooking with no ill effects. There might be a slight discoloration if you wrap the sweet potato in aluminum foil and cook like any baked potato, but for boiling or pan frying there is minimum discoloration if any. Skinning saves both time and your fingers from too hot potato peeling!
            Until this post it never occurred to me to cook them with the skins on. LoL But, that way, like baked, must keep them moister or something.

Ohh.. I just lied. I have cooked them in the microwave with their skins at work, but I guess I don't exactly call that cooking. I avoid microwaves whenever possible.

Cedar

Comment

Go with the simple canning of cubes as Cedar suggested. At 74 years of age I have fixed many a sweet potato casserole. The past few years I have taken the short cut of using canned sweet potatoes. Sometimes even store bought! Saves time and energy. Besides, I prefer my sweet potatoes as a vegetable instead of a dessert. . Sour cream, salt, butter, even bacon, just like a baked white potato or mashed and seasoned like white potato. Canning them in water lets me have the option of sweet or savory. Although I do love me some sweet potato pie!

Comment

Have decided to just cube sweet potatoes in water. I have a granddaughter that won't let me get away with the sweet potato casserole during the holidays. She loves it and I really think she would eat it all year long. That is always her Thanksgiving and Christmas request for me to make it. She swears I make it better than her mom. I don't thank so since her mom has my recipe for it and has made it also.

Comment

Working...
                X