No announcement yet.

Canning meat and dinners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, you can use a vinegar based sauce. It is probably better than catsup as it is more acid. It would be like using tomato juice like you have in the past to can meat.

Comment

Thanks ZAGran. I will make the next batch from his favorest baraque sauce. He loves pigman sauce.

Comment

We mostly do stews.. Fish stew, beef stew, beef and venison stew, pork and beans, ham and bean soup, split pea and ham, etc. We have about 300 quarts on hand. All the pork and ham came from our own pigs.

Pop the lid off, stick the entire jar in microwave for 2 minutes on high, pour into a large bowl, then 2 more minutes in the microwave... and dinner is served.

Its almost like an MRE.

We do rotate our canned foods and I'm currently eating stuff we canned back in 2011 right now.

Which brings me to another thought. anyone else have a microwave stored in a Faraday cage like me? I bought a microwave oven that doubles as a convection oven and put it in my Faraday cage for safe keeping.

Comment

Murphy, You must have a very large Faraday cage as I would not be able to fit a microwave in what I have. You have done really well with your preps.

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
            Murphy, You must have a very large Faraday cage as I would not be able to fit a microwave in what I have. You have done really well with your preps.
            Ya, I started prepping in late 2016.. slowly at first.. then built up speed big time in 2017.. now I'm slowing down again because most of my critical goals have been reached.

I actually have 3 Faraday cages.. One rated at 80db, one rated at 120db, and one rated for around 160db. Less sensitive items like the electric fence charger, smaller power inverters, battery chargers, etc.. go into the 80db cage.. More sensitive items like CB and Ham radio's, antenna tuners, LED bulbs, spare keyboards, etc. go into the 120db cage.. and critically important items like the off grid power stuff, computer equipment, data storage, etc. go into the 160db cage.

All together, I have about 27 cubic feet of storage or the equivalent of about two large chest freezers worth.

The microwave isn't "IN" any of my Faraday cages.. Instead, I built the Faraday cage around it with just tinfoil. You'd be surprised at how well tinfoil works as a Faraday cage, don't discount its value. A single layer of tinfoil will provide about 45db of attenuation.. a second insulated layer will add another 45db. That's 90db from just cheap foil! Its only drawbacks is that its delicate and prone to ripping and tearing if you move it around or handle it, and you can't open it up.. there's no door as it has to be permanently sealed. I put the microwave into a heavy duty plastic bag, snugged it up with packing tape, then a double layer of tinfoil, a second bag over that, then another layer of tin foil.. then some packing tape on the corners to prevent the foil from tearing or ripping.
            So the microwave is stored at around 90db.. plus its in the basement which should provide at least another 10db unless the detonation is right over the top of me.

I have 5kW of spare solar panels stored the same way.. had to build a heavy duty rolling cart for them because they weigh almost 1000 lbs.

Look into a product called Dri-Shield 3400. You can find them at Digi-key for really cheap. They provide about 45db of shielding for a single layer and you only need to fold over the opening twice to close them which makes removing items easy as well as resealable. Everything I have stored is in its own Dri-Shield bag before being placed in the Faraday cage.

People buy things like rechargeable batteries but don't consider that an EMP will take out the charger.. The Faraday cages were among my first preps.

Comment

Murphy I know about using foil as I have a few small items already wrapped 3 times in it. As one is my battery charger. I have a medal trash can that I lined with cardboard and have a few flashlights another battery charger, radio and other things in there I know I might need in case of EMP. All of that is wrapped so they are not touching and placed in faraday bags which go into a very large faraday bag into the medal trash can. What you did with a microwave sounds like a good idea. though the microwave I have is over the oven and I would have to buy a free standing one to what you did. Good Idea. I have a couple of solar panels that I still need to take care of. As for my computer, if it died today I would not care as it has a lot of issues with one being the keys stick or I have to press them over and over again to get them to work. I have cleaned them 10 times over and it doesn't help. Computer is just wearing out. Sad when you just don't want to go buy a new one. Will check out the site for Dri shield.

Comment

Murphy, I like the idea of having the microwave/convection oven. While it is protected to 90 db what do you expect that 90 db to do to the power grid? Will that be enough to blow either the small transformers we have on the line leading to our individual homes or the really big ones at substations? I would like to be sure of the resistance level of those transformers before I store something as expensive as that oven without a possibility of it being of use for a year or years.

Comment

That is a good question.

Comment

I pressure can like mad. Anything that can be served with rice, pasta or mashed potatoes. Almost anytime I make something (I'm the cook in the house) for dinner that can be canned I make a huge batch and can the excess while we are eating dinner and then cleaning up. By bed time it's ready to go on the counter between towels to cool. The next morning I check the seals, label and box them up whilst waiting on the coffee pot. The local grocery saves all of the cardboard boxes from stuff that comes in jars (harder to find as so much now comes in "flats" topped wrapped in plastic, but I get enough) with the pasteboard dividers, 12 qts to a box. We practice a stock rotation plan. I can feed us on what we normally eat as an everyday diet for over a year. The other thing I can is meats, mostly chicken and pork in chunks. The pork can be used in all kinds of recipes or shredded for pulled pork and is cheap- I usually use the butts and out local groceries often have them on sale for less than $1/lb. Chicken we don't use anything but thighs and I mostly buy it skinned and boned. Both meats are far superior to the commercial canned stuff.
                    John

Comment

Working...
                    X