Canning meat and dinners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canning meat and dinners

During the time of doing my business, I also canned for us. Meat was so good to have on hand. It was great to have my meats canned and I would make veggies, dinner was done. Because that turn out so good for me, I thought canning dinners would be better. First I started with spaghetti sauce with the meat, I decided to take some to sale it was a big hit. I have done a few others Chicken and sausage jambalaya, beef stew, green beans with potatoes and ham. I have several more in my mind that will eventually find it's way into a jar. Canning the dinners also saved on storage space.

I to can a lot of meat. I make my speghetti sauce with the meat in it as well. Been doing it that way for past 5 years. I can my green beans and put potatoes in with it but never thought about putting the ham in there as well. Will have to try that one. Beef stew is a great one. I also can my own soups. Veg. beef and chicken noodle mostly.. Will have to try the chicken and sausage jambalaya. If it's not to spicy I can eat it. Otherwise will save that for other family members. I am getting ready to can some itilitan meat balls as well. I need to empty my freezer as it is full. So a lot of meat canning getting ready to be started. I have been buying up meat on sale and freeze it then I wait till cooler weather to can it.

Comment

Home made is always better.

Comment

I have a pulled pork canning recipe. Great when they put pork shoulders on sale (aka Boston Butt). Let me see if I posted it. If not, I will. We really love it. Sauce included or if you have a favorite sauce you can use it instead.

Comment

ZAGran I haven't seen it but would love to have that one

Comment

I can pork roast and put sauce on it when I warm it up, it is so good

Comment

Canning Pulled Pork
              This is a bit of a long process but it really is good and tender. And you cook the pork in the oven! You don’t have to fire up a smoker. Great if you can’t use one for some reason or if you don’t have one.

1. A five lb. pork shoulder roast cut it in half long-ways and remove the bone.
              2. Make a brine - In a large stock pot Dissolve 1 cup table salt - ½ cup sugar & 3 to 6 Tbsp. liquid smoke in 1 gallon of water. Put both halves in pot. Weight it down so the entire thing is submerged. I use plate and a clean brick wrapped in foil. Place in fridge for 2 to 4 hours.

3. Remove from pot, drain. While draining

4. Combine ¼ cup Yellow Mustard (hot dog type) with 2 to 6 Tablespoons liquid smoke in a small bowl.

5. Combine in another small bowl the following:
              2 Tbsp. Ground Black Pepper
              2 Tbsp. Sugar
              2 tsp. Salt
              1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
              1 Tbsp. Smoked Paprika

6. Preheat oven to 325.
              7. Pat both pieces of pork dry. (Paper towels) and slather the mustard/smoke mixture all over both pieces of pork. This is a bit messy. You can wear gloves but clean hands work best.

8. Wash and dry hands. Sprinkle the Black Pepper mixture over the entire surface of both pieces of pork.

9. Place pork On A RACK. in a rimmed baking sheet (There will be lots of drippings, I use a broiler pan because it is deep enough to hold the drippings)

10. Cover the top of the pork with a sheet of parchment paper. Then cover with aluminum foil. Seal all the edges tightly to prevent drying out. If you don’t use the parchment paper the mustard will eat through the foil before it is done and in doing so allow the meat to dry out.

11. Roast in the 325 degree oven on bottom middle rack for 3 hours.

12. Carefully remove pan from oven. Remove foil and parchment paper. Drain drippings and save them.

If you are going to can the pork continue here. If not skip down to Finishing.

Canning.
              Tent the pork with the foil and let rest for 20 min. While it rests make the sauce. Or use a bottled or homemade sauce of your preference. You will need about 2 ½ to 3 cups to be on the safe side.

Sauce – In a 1 qt. bowl whisk together
              ½ cup of drippings with the fat skimmed off 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
              1 ½ cups of ketchup 1 Tbsp. hot sauce
              ¼ cup of molasses ½ tsp black pepper
              Taste and add ½ tsp of salt if needed

Now that the pork has rested, remove fat from outside of pork and shred. Pull out any large hunks of fat. Two forks work fine for shredding.
              Add about 1 cup of the sauce to the shredded pork and mix well. Pack in pint jars about 1 inch from top.

You should get 6 or 7 pints from 5 lbs. Divide remaining sauce evenly between jars or until within 1 inch of top. I put one Tbsp. in each jar, then a second Tbsp. in each jar and so on until I either run out of sauce or I hit the 1 inch from the top mark.

Remove air from jars. If it falls below the 1 INCH mark when you remove the air use any remaining sauce to bring it up to level. If you don’t have enough sauce you can use the remaining drippings if any, broth or water.

Can according to your pressure canners directions.

Finishing – If you don’t plan to can.
              After draining drippings from pan return pork UNCOVERED to 325 degree oven for 1 to 1 ½ hours (or until it reaches 200 degrees) to finish forming the bark on outside.

Let rest under foil tent (I re-use the foil I removed) for 20 min. Shred with 2 forks. Either make sauce above or use your favorite.

EAT & ENJOY

You can of course adjust the seasonings to your taste, just remember because the pork was brined you can easily over salt it so taste, taste, taste before adding salt to sauce.
              Last edited by ZAGran; 09-22-2017, 09:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thanks ZAGran. I will be trying this as soon as pork shoulders go on sale again.

Comment

Sounds good Gran

Comment

Originally posted by ZAGran View Post
                    Canning Pulled Pork
                    This is a bit of a long process but it really is good and tender. And you cook the pork in the oven! You don’t have to fire up a smoker. Great if you can’t use one for some reason or if you don’t have one.

1. A five lb. pork shoulder roast cut it in half long-ways and remove the bone.
                    2. Make a brine - In a large stock pot Dissolve 1 cup table salt - ½ cup sugar & 3 to 6 Tbsp. liquid smoke in 1 gallon of water. Put both halves in pot. Weight it down so the entire thing is submerged. I use plate and a clean brick wrapped in foil. Place in fridge for 2 to 4 hours.

3. Remove from pot, drain. While draining

4. Combine ¼ cup Yellow Mustard (hot dog type) with 2 to 6 Tablespoons liquid smoke in a small bowl.

5. Combine in another small bowl the following:
                    2 Tbsp. Ground Black Pepper
                    2 Tbsp. Sugar
                    2 tsp. Salt
                    1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
                    1 Tbsp. Smoked Paprika

6. Preheat oven to 325.
                    7. Pat both pieces of pork dry. (Paper towels) and slather the mustard/smoke mixture all over both pieces of pork. This is a bit messy. You can wear gloves but clean hands work best.

8. Wash and dry hands. Sprinkle the Black Pepper mixture over the entire surface of both pieces of pork.

9. Place pork On A RACK. in a rimmed baking sheet (There will be lots of drippings, I use a broiler pan because it is deep enough to hold the drippings)

10. Cover the top of the pork with a sheet of parchment paper. Then cover with aluminum foil. Seal all the edges tightly to prevent drying out. If you don’t use the parchment paper the mustard will eat through the foil before it is done and in doing so allow the meat to dry out.

11. Roast in the 325 degree oven on bottom middle rack for 3 hours.

12. Carefully remove pan from oven. Remove foil and parchment paper. Drain drippings and save them.

If you are going to can the pork continue here. If not skip down to Finishing.

Canning.
                    Tent the pork with the foil and let rest for 20 min. While it rests make the sauce. Or use a bottled or homemade sauce of your preference. You will need about 2 ½ to 3 cups to be on the safe side.

Sauce – In a 1 qt. bowl whisk together
                    ½ cup of drippings with the fat skimmed off 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
                    1 ½ cups of ketchup 1 Tbsp. hot sauce
                    ¼ cup of molasses ½ tsp black pepper
                    Taste and add ½ tsp of salt if needed

Now that the pork has rested, remove fat from outside of pork and shred. Pull out any large hunks of fat. Two forks work fine for shredding.
                    Add about 1 cup of the sauce to the shredded pork and mix well. Pack in pint jars about 1 inch from top.

You should get 6 or 7 pints from 5 lbs. Divide remaining sauce evenly between jars or until within 1 inch of top. I put one Tbsp. in each jar, then a second Tbsp. in each jar and so on until I either run out of sauce or I hit the 1 inch from the top mark.

Remove air from jars. If it falls below the 1 INCH mark when you remove the air use any remaining sauce to bring it up to level. If you don’t have enough sauce you can use the remaining drippings if any, broth or water.

Can according to your pressure canners directions.

Finishing – If you don’t plan to can.
                    After draining drippings from pan return pork UNCOVERED to 325 degree oven for 1 to 1 ½ hours (or until it reaches 200 degrees) to finish forming the bark on outside.

Let rest under foil tent (I re-use the foil I removed) for 20 min. Shred with 2 forks. Either make sauce above or use your favorite.

EAT & ENJOY

You can of course adjust the seasonings to your taste, just remember because the pork was brined you can easily over salt it so taste, taste, taste before adding salt to sauce.
                    ZAGRan I just made this today and it turned out great. It has been over a year but the boston butts here never went back on sale till now. Got them at 99 cents a lb. Was hoping for a bit cheaper but this has been the lowest price we could get them for in several years. I will be making more when I have the extra time. It is a long process but was well worth the time.

Comment

So glad you enjoyed it. Did you can any? It freezes well too.
                      I "got a hankering" for this pulled pork week before last so I too made it. Instead of canning what was left after I gorged myself I froze cause the kids were coming that weekend (Labor Day). We ate it ALL! So I guess I will have to make another batch soon. Maybe a double batch. I have a big oven.

Comment

ZAGran I canned 5 pints. I had used a 5 lb boston butt. and got 5 pints out of it so that was great. Will be making more at a later time but hurricane Florence is on the way. We are in it's path.

Comment

Stay safe Applejack. I was wondering about you this morning when The news said the path was headed for the Carolinas. You are in my prayers. power could be out for up to 2 weeks, the news said, depending on just what happens to the lines and/or substations. News said you would defiantly lose power.

Comment

We are in VA. But depending on if this hits Hatteras or Wilmanton NC. will make a decision for how we prepare. If it comes in at Hatteras. VA coast line and all the low laying areas will be in bad shape. We are more inland and on higher ground. We are not in a flood zone and we already are aware of what can and will happen if a tornato hits.. It was Agnas that took out the well station for the neighborhood next to us. We had water but they didn't as we were on city and they were on well.. We did loose electic back then for 2 weeks and my daughter who at that time lived in a different area lost both city water and elec. So anyone that thinks they cannot loose city water better rethink this. It can happen. Looking like now it is going to become a very strong 3 after it hits land but will be a strong 4 when it hits.

Comment

ZAGran, Can you use a vinegar based sauce for the pulled pork? Hubby wants to try one that he loves but it is vinegar based and I am not sure if you can pressure can using a vinegar based sauce.

Comment

Working...
                              X