2009 Food Shortage??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Food Shortage??

I have heard this many times over the past few months, and with the price of food skyrocketing, and shortage of cheap grains, I wonder...

http://standeyo.com/NEWS/09_Food_Wat...food.fall.html
    "Lighthouses are more helpful than churches" Franklin

There is more reason to believe in food shortages, than not to. Drought in california, if we don't get some rain soon were introuble. Have any of you heard of Shasta Dam

http://www.shastalake.com/shastalake/index.html

Some info on the water level, it produces a lot of power and stores ton of water for califonia.

Besides the doom and gloom reasons though, EVERYONE I REPEAT EVERYONE should have a garden beause its healty for your family and it is productivity most people waste on worthless stuff.
    Watch this!!

Comment

Besides the doom and gloom reasons though, EVERYONE I REPEAT EVERYONE should have a garden beause its healty for your family and it is productivity most people waste on worthless stuff.
      absolutely. And I figure tilling in the dirt by hand will force me to lose some weight.
      "Be Excellent to Each Other"

Comment

boz, you are right, this past weekend I was getting my tiller out to give my potato garden a good tilling before planting my seed potatoes and noticed a lot of cars at my neighbor’s house, her son had died. So out of respect for her family I did not use the tiller but with the sunny and warm weather we got this past weekend I just had to do something so I got my pick and shovel and went to busting up the ground John Henry style and turning the dirt with a shovel, I was amazed at how much I got done and I actually got deeper into the ground with the pick. But I am still sore today. I churned up a row 20-25 foot long and 4 foot wide and plan on making two more the same length with no tiller, no gas, just me a pick a shovel and a pair of gloves. The exercise did go me good.

Comment

We have a garden that could supply us with all our fresh and canned veg. We have also planted some fruit trees (last year) and will plant more this year, as well as having planted raspberry, blackberry and strawberry (last year). I'm going to do blueberry as well this year. We've only lived here for a year (Dec 07), so it will take a while, but we are working on it meeting our needs for everything but meat,dairy and grains. We will be having laying hens at some point too.
          People need to think about eating locally or home grown, which means not having some of the things were are used to eating...in my case that would be citrus and off season fruit and veg.. I can't wait until my garden can produce what I need!

Comment

I am planting this year, as well as saving heirloom seeds, and already storing what reserves I can. If you drink bottled water or soda, rinse them out and refill them and save them. It might not be potable water by the time you need it but we still need water for cleaning, and sewage, growing, and the like. Plus you don't have to throw the bottles away and every little bit helps.
            They laughed at Noah, and then they died.:eek:

Comment

Working...
            X