Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morgan101
    replied
    I don't use a percolator, but I do have a coffee pot. Aluminum. I make cowboy coffee, and it's not bad. I have made it for friends who are real coffee drinkers, and I get a thumbs up. Makes things a little easier

Leave a comment:

• onebigelf
    replied
    For brewing, glass carboys- not plastic.

John

Leave a comment:

• florenceccollinsc
    replied
    list of 10 essential kitchen items for any survivalis from my side
    • Matches
    • Hand Utensils
    • Gas Stove
    • Good knives
    • Hand Utensils
    • Cast Iron/Stainless Steel Cookware
    • Hand Grain Mill
    • Roasting Pans
    • Colanders
    • Spatulas

Leave a comment:

• Nik
    replied
    Not exactly 'prepping', but memories of camping and self-catering holidays that did not go to plan...

Scissors.
    Those 'dogleg' 'will cut felt etc' utility scissors beloved of nurses etc are really, really handy. Their crinkly blades will 'grab' slick stuff off which even a good knife may scarily skid. Like shrink-wrapped bacon or smoked fish. Having a few spare scissors also allows for mishaps and trading. If possible have a range of handle colours, so you can rank them by sharpness etc.

Can opener.
    Trying to get into a can that's lost its ring-pull or winder is non-trivial. The whatsit on a multi-tool may do nicely for popping the 'crown' top off a beer bottle, but is no substitute for a proper 'winder'. Crude 'army' rippers are more likely to open the First Aid kit than the can...

A caution: get a winder that will NOT unscrew handle if wound anticlockwise to clear a snag or used by a lefty. Else the faint 'plop' as nut and/or bolt vanishes into the night may long linger in your memory...

Another thought...
    Some 'crown' poppers also do for safely puncturing cans, eg evap/condensed milk or tomato soup. Some just cannot hack it, bend like hot-dogs, 'nanas or cheap ice-cream scoops...

As with the scissors, having some spare winders and openers allows for mishaps and trading...

YMMV.
    Nik

Leave a comment:

• RICHFL
    replied
    The first thing to buy? For non-moving location weight is not important so here goes:

large pot 10-20 quarts to boil water
    1-2 large cast iron fry pans
    5-10 quart dutch oven with flat top and legs.
    1 12 cup coffee pot
    1 30 cup coffee pot for boiling water
    2 large metal spoons for mixing and cooking
    1 egg beater
    1 large metal/plastic strainer
    1 outdoor stove with a lot of fuel
    1 large butcher knife (8")
    1 paring knife (5-6")
    1 set metal bowls various sizes

This is what I have put aside for hurricanes. Power outages happen and last from 5 days to months/years.

If you are on the move take 1 large spoon, 1 paring knife, large fry pan/or dutch oven, metal bowls. Keep it light if you have to carry it.

Leave a comment:

• CountryGuy
    replied
    veggie pealer
    silicon spatulas - last forever and gets your bowl squeaky clean
    Nice long handle spatula/ meat fork like for a grill, maybe longer for over fire

Leave a comment:

• jimLE
    replied
    hand operated slicer and a dicer.percolator

Leave a comment:

• nestle
    replied
    Originally posted by Loshali View Post
    A good portion of this list isnt a life or death necessity, (that frying pan makes a great head banger!!) but it sure would make life a little easier when you are without power or very restricted power/water limits:

Old fashioned egg beater
    Hand whisk
    nut chopper
    garlic press
    metal or glass bowls (easier to clean than plastic)
    iron skillets (cooking on open fire)
    dutch oven
    turkey baster
    sharp knives and whetstone
    wooden bread bowl or tray
    How about kitchen scissors?

Leave a comment:

• Morgan101
    replied
    I am feeling better about my kit. I have everything that has been mentioned. I use a Coughlan's tripod. Not as sturdy as Grizzlyette's iron, but it works. The box is about 18" x 18" x 2; so folds up pretty flat. Easy to pack.

Coghlan's Tri-Pod Grill

Leave a comment:

• Applejack
    replied
    I have the bottom one. My son in law made it for me.
    That is a great site. I like the things they sell on that site.
    Last edited by Applejack; 10-07-2018, 09:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GrizzlyetteAdams
    replied

I cooked with these regularly for years over a campfire and love them. They can be quickly set up and broken down, They are made of durable wrought iron that will outlast you, and are reasonably priced (see link).

https://www.crazycrow.com/primitive-..._By=disp_order

The height of the skillet holder can be
    fully adjusted to any height, and swings
    freely around the leg of the crossbar fire set.
    Additional handy dandy skillet holders can be added.

I cooked many a pot of gumbo in a pot hanging from the tripod on the right. Lots of chili and beans too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5576-001-003-900x900_255x255.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.7 KB ID:	216144Click image for larger version  Name:	5576-002-002-900x900_255x255.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.3 KB ID:	216145

Leave a comment:

• dalewick
    replied
    A small butchering kit, including a bone saw, boning knife, filleting knife and cleaver. If your breaking down animals (Mammals, fish or birds) for food, it can make life a lot easier. $20 to $50 isn't much now for increasing your speed at butchering in hot weather so your meat won't spoil.

Dale

Leave a comment:

• Applejack
    replied
    also a good cutting board as well as good sharp knives and a way to sharpen them as they get dull. Also cooking items such as large spoons, spaular, and folks that can handle hot foods as you are cooking. And don't forget potholders..Burned fingers are no fun.

Leave a comment:

• RICHFL
    replied
    Ladle the one item you need to cook with!

Some way to open cans Boy scout knife still has the can opener!

Cast iron skillet and dutch oven.

Metal plates, cups, and knives, forks and spoons for the groups meals.

Also very important selection of spices!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Morgan101
    replied
    I have a mini BBQ grill that is self contained. I filled the bowl (where you would put coals) with kitchen utensils, wooden spoons, spatulas, oven mitts, can opener, towels. I keep it with our BOB's so it is part of the grab and go. With that I fell my camp kitchen is pretty complete.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X