Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• voodoo
    replied
    Rice should be fine this way. I have not used it on anything but grains. http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/bucketsforstorage.aspx This link has decent buckets at resonable prices, Also have great deals on freeze dried fruits and veggies. Shipping cost cant be beat.

Leave a comment:

• flight or fight
    replied
    Originally posted by snal View Post
    Didn't somebody mention somewhere that you should freeze any grain, rice, ect. for several days before sealing it, to kill any bugs that in it?

Yes but it you put the dry ice in it it will kill any bugs because of no oxygen to breathe.

Leave a comment:

• snal
    replied
    Didn't somebody mention somewhere that you should freeze any grain, rice, ect. for several days before sealing it, to kill any bugs that in it?

Leave a comment:

• cudalyon
    replied
    Here is a link for the pails.
    http://www.bayteccontainers.com/8galsctoppad.html

Leave a comment:

• cudalyon
    replied
    So I could fill up a bucket with Rice, and put some dry ice in the bottom and it will keep for years? (After I seal it of course)

Leave a comment:

• voodoo
    replied
    Rusty hit on the head. Guess I should have explained that.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by snal View Post
    VooDoo...what does the dry ice do?

CO2. Forces the O2 out.

Leave a comment:

• snal
    replied
    VooDoo...what does the dry ice do?

Leave a comment:

• Loshali
    replied
    Catching Some Flax

Its a good idea to use some of that grain now, and figure out how youre gonna mill it and prepare it. I know someoen who was preparing for Y2K, bought hundreds of pounds of grains, had it all nice and neatly packaged.... yep, you guessed it.. had no idea how to prepare it nor did they buy a grain mill. Wound up giving it to a neighbor who had a pig....

Oats are good too. I love oatmeal with raisins and walnuts...

(a clay earth oven from another post makes some awesome bread...)

Lo~

Leave a comment:

• voodoo
    replied
    I have both ones I put together, and pre-packed grains. You save BIG money when you do them yourself. If you have new, food grade pails, there is not much need for mylar bags. Get your clean pail, put a small piece of dry ice in the bottom, fill with grain. Seal with gamma screw-on lid. Done! Dont use to big a piece of DI, it will put off toooo much gas and bucket could pop. Best to loosely seal, and after ice melts, seal tightly. This way extra gas will escape. When bottom of bucket if nolonger cold, ice has melted. You could put a few OA's in, but if there is no oxygen left from the dry ice, all will be fine.

Leave a comment:

• Brosia
    started a topic Super Pails

Super Pails

anybody have super pails in their food storage? Did you purchase the items already pre-packaged in the pails, or did you get pails, mylar bags, oxygen absorbers and fill them yourself?
Working...
X