X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lazer128
    replied
    Lookin' good there Rusty. Looks like you'll need some seed and soon! :eek:

I went to the local feed & seed store today at lunch. I bought 10 pounds of seed potatoes (red skin), 20 cabbage plants, 12 broccoli, and a couple of hundred onion sets. I cut the potatoes into seed pieces as soon as I got home. Hope to start planting the cool season crops this weekend. I'll try to remember to take some pics. Garden spot turned out pretty nice. The top soil is 24-30" deep in places. I know, I placed it all there with the skid steer. My favorite gardening tool! :D

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    I decided to quit smoking today, so I was one p^ssed off dude. I yelled at a bunch of idiots on the phone because they did not have a rototiller for me to rent. What the hell kind of rental place does not carry rototillers? So, I just friggin came home and used a G-d Damn shovel!! Here is the results so far. Oh yeah it friggin rained last night so I was butt deep in mud.

Leave a comment:

• lazer128
    replied
    My garden's progress

Before....................

As it is now after working on it yesterday............

Leave a comment:

• Rebrider
    replied
    Good year

We had to use a ladder to pick maters. :)
    Last edited by Rebrider; 04-14-2017, 08:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by lazer128 View Post
    :D

What all are you going to plant in the plot? Will everything be non-hybrid?

It's dark when I get home in the evenings and my plot is out in the woods. I hope to finish the rough grading this weekend if it doesn't rain. I will put onion sets in around Feb. 15th, followed by cabbage two weeks after that. Everything else will need to wait until the soil warms a bit....probably mid April.

Cabbage season is over. It will be too hot soon. Yep, all freaky non-hybreds from here

http://rareseeds.com/seeds/

Gonna plant the rarest seeds I can find. Been toying with the idea of planting a Frankincense tree and maybe a Myrrh Tree. I think they would grow here.

Leave a comment:

• lazer128
    replied
    :D

What all are you going to plant in the plot? Will everything be non-hybrid?

It's dark when I get home in the evenings and my plot is out in the woods. I hope to finish the rough grading this weekend if it doesn't rain. I will put onion sets in around Feb. 15th, followed by cabbage two weeks after that. Everything else will need to wait until the soil warms a bit....probably mid April.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by Rustyshakelford View Post
    I was thinking of $10.00 for a coke bottle full. Miracle stuff!! You pay shipping, and you have to provide an explanation to any postal inspector that visits your house in case it leaks enroute.

Oops. I guess "leaks" is not the best word. Accidently evacuates the bottle would be better.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Got my own juice, thanks. Mountain variation.

I was thinking of $10.00 for a coke bottle full. Miracle stuff!! You pay shipping, and you have to provide an explanation to any postal inspector that visits your house in case it leaks enroute.

Leave a comment:

• lazer128
    replied
    Got my own juice, thanks. Mountain variation.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Ok. I am not sure if the gov'ment men came by and marked anything or not. I do not see any markings. I did finish up my border by using a couple of creosote soaked telephone pole pieces. I soaked the area better then a 1 year old soaks a diaper after drinking a 2 litre bottle of coke, and we should get a good ice storm tonight. I have watered the heck out of the compost with the juice from the Shakelford filter and added some coffee grounds. I will be adding some sulphur next week and will haul in some dirt to fill this up to the top of the creosote soaked poles. Then will till the whole thing up and rake out the bermuda grass as best I can.

I will sell some of the Shakelford juice if anyone is intersted.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by sd allen View Post
    OK, leave out collecting rain if you live in the desert.Good call.

I have a water hose. That usually works.

Leave a comment:

• sd allen
    replied
    OK, leave out collecting rain if you live in the desert.Good call.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by sd allen View Post
    Good luck Rusty,hope you can enjoy the fruits of your labour.I too,have the green thumb and thoroughly enjoy growing grub. Do you use buckets for maters or anything? I put a pin hole in the bottom(side) of a few buckets,collect rain water and set them next to a few plants at a time.

You gotta have rain to fill the buckets. It only rains 3-4 times a year out here, and mostly in the fall.

Leave a comment:

• sd allen
    replied
    Good luck Rusty,hope you can enjoy the fruits of your labour.I too,have the green thumb and thoroughly enjoy growing grub. Do you use buckets for maters or anything? I put a pin hole in the bottom(side) of a few buckets,collect rain water and set them next to a few plants at a time.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    We have three of those filter units here at the house. Would be four except the hose must have broke off one of them! :p

Yeah, around here too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X