Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginning of my garden

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Beginning of my garden

    I am pretty good at gardening. Since I have only been in this place for 7 months, this is my first attempt at desert gardening. Although not manditory, I opted to call 811 and have them come by and mark any underground gas lines. All of West Texas is covered with them, and many are not marked. I like fire and all, but not when it involves a high pressure gas line, a rototiller and me drinking Guiness beer. So, I cannot till until they come by and mark things off. However, I did cut a deal with a local scrounger for a bunch of used cinder blocks at $1.00 each. I have 40, but will go get another 20 tomorrow. I also have a guy that sells me eggs and he said I could have all the chicken poo I could haul at no charge.

    Here is the area I will till up.



    I got the bricks unloaded. It took me an hour or so of chipping the old chink off the bricks.



    I then built a compost pit that should assist in keeping the wind from blowing all my rotted stuff off. Tomorrow I will get some quickcrete and fill up the hollow bricks, and smoothe over the seams. I will probably put some non-tox paint on the bricks. Some are blue and look like crap. The big cardboard box has 40 lbs of shreaded paper from my work shredder.



    I laid out the remaining bricks so that the folks from 811 know where to check for gas lines.


  • #2
    Wow....you have trees and grass! Not bad for Texas!
    ~Lyon~

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by cudalyon View Post
      Wow....you have trees and grass! Not bad for Texas!
      You mean West Texas. East Texas is swamps. I have 1 pecan tree, and 2 mulberry trees. I had no grass when I moved here. But, like I said, I have a green thumb. You have to grow something to eventually burn down.

      Comment


      • #4
        looks like sandy soil so that means that crops that grow beneath such as carrots -onions and room for some chickens (laying hens)
        THE LARGER THE CITY THE FASTER IT FALLS

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by PHR View Post
          looks like sandy soil so that means that crops that grow beneath such as carrots -onions and room for some chickens (laying hens)

          No chickens. EVER!!! I hate those filthy feathered rats.

          It is pretty hot here for Carrots. Onions are a winter crop. I will grow melons, okra, cukes, maters, and sunflowers. I may also put in some frijoles. (thats beans to you gringo's)

          Comment


          • #6
            great start. keep the pictures coming as you progress.





            My ground is frozen solid, it'll be a while before I can get any garden started.
            "Be Excellent to Each Other"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Brosia View Post
              great start. keep the pictures coming as you progress.





              My ground is frozen solid, it'll be a while before I can get any garden started.
              It was 80 today but at least we only had 40 mph gusts of dirt.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by PHR View Post
                looks like sandy soil so that means that crops that grow beneath such as carrots -onions and room for some chickens (laying hens)
                Yes, the desert has an abundance of sand.

                Comment


                • #9
                  we were warm today too. Above freezing, and the wind didn't freeze your skin off.


                  Your garden area looks like it'll be pretty obvious to the neighbors. Any concerns about that?
                  "Be Excellent to Each Other"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Great thread! I picked out a spot today that I am going to turn into a garden plot. It is covered in small trees and brush right now. It is the only spot on my place that might have enough sun to grow a garden. Not sure the deer will cooperate either, but I think I'll give it a go! Will post a pic tomorrow of the site and others as I clear the plot with the skid steer.
                    JUST CURIOUS? PRUNES ARE DEHYDRATED PLUMS. SO WHERE DOES PRUNE JUICE COME FROM?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Brosia View Post
                      we were warm today too. Above freezing, and the wind didn't freeze your skin off.


                      Your garden area looks like it'll be pretty obvious to the neighbors. Any concerns about that?
                      I was raised to share whatever you produced in your garden with your neighbors. Looks like Rusty will have no problem being a good neighbor!
                      JUST CURIOUS? PRUNES ARE DEHYDRATED PLUMS. SO WHERE DOES PRUNE JUICE COME FROM?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by lazer128 View Post
                        Great thread! I picked out a spot today that I am going to turn into a garden plot. It is covered in small trees and brush right now. It is the only spot on my place that might have enough sun to grow a garden. Not sure the deer will cooperate either, but I think I'll give it a go! Will post a pic tomorrow of the site and others as I clear the plot with the skid steer.

                        Deer? Easy, grow alfalfa, bait the deer in, fill the freezer. Who needs beans when you have meat?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by lazer128 View Post
                          I was raised to share whatever you produced in your garden with your neighbors. Looks like Rusty will have no problem being a good neighbor!

                          Where the heck would I hide it? Its the friggin desert! I will grow enough stuff to share some.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Rustyshakelford View Post
                            Deer? Easy, grow alfalfa, bait the deer in, fill the freezer. Who needs beans when you have meat?
                            Alfalfa? We feed our deer kleenex! Haven't you seen this? The deer mount in the background is a 21 point my youngest son took a few years ago.

                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfGuxuJzRpc
                            JUST CURIOUS? PRUNES ARE DEHYDRATED PLUMS. SO WHERE DOES PRUNE JUICE COME FROM?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Brosia View Post
                              we were warm today too. Above freezing, and the wind didn't freeze your skin off.


                              Your garden area looks like it'll be pretty obvious to the neighbors. Any concerns about that?
                              This is Texas. There are 3.8 firearms for every person in the state. Neighbors are a might bit friendly in these parts. And I do not think that with the 7 foot fence, a mean little dog and a house full of defensive possibilities that I have to worry about watermelon thieves.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X