LifeStraw product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LifeStraw product

Has anyone ever used a LifeStraw filter? You put it in any water source and just drink it like a straw. Www.survivalfrog.com has it for $19.99. Thinking about getting one. It seems pretty cool and a great bug out bag item. They have demo's on YouTube.

CrazeeMomma
    "A little rebellion now and then is a good thing..." ~Thomas Jefferson

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." ~Benjamin Franklin

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." ~Benjamin Franklin

I much much prefer the sawyer mini. (At Walmart for about the same money.)

The straw is just that, a straw. It works, but not to put water into a bowl to cook or anything. You have to suck on it.

With the mini you dip the bottle into your water source attach the filter and squeeze. It shoots out clean water. Buy the mini. It comes with a collapsible bag to use to fill up.with water, but if you buy a 1 liter bottle of Smartwater their bottle fits it too and is way more durable.

Please watch YouTube for the sawyer mini before you buy.
    "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

More info on the mini they sell them in sporting goods at Wal Mart. For $24.95 you get a filter that is good for over 100,000 gallons.

But remember filters do not remove chemicals or most virus. You still should boil your water when you can.

Comment

I do not have one. I too have a Sawyer Mini. The Life Straw was developed for use in developing nations and humanitarian crisis.

It is well regarded in the International community. Les Stroud used one in one of his Survivorman episodes. He used it as a straw drinking what looked like really rank water and had no ill effects. Life Straw claims to be able to remove bacteria and protozoa.
        The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

The life straw (I believe) is good for 30 gallons, the mini for thousands.

Also, I forget the exact "microns" of the mini, but I believe it DOES take out most chemicals and viruses.
          "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Great! so you squirt it into a cup or bowl? I'll watch the video for sure. Thanks Myakka!.[/QUOTE]

Or directly into your piehole LOL

I have several filters, including some straw types (frontiers). I think of the straw as a last ditch backup. The mini is my go to when hiking, camping, and kayaking. I also have a katadyn "base camp" which is a large hanging bag that drip filters a couple gallons of water.

I also make 5 gallon bucket natural water filters too..... plenty of how-to on youtube for those.
            Last edited by myakka; 01-31-2015, 08:35 PM.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." ~Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I'm going off of memory here so take it lightly lol but I think the LifeStraw is good up to 1,000 liters of water. You just drink from it like a straw in the water source then when done you blow out the yuck. I'll put more research into both products. Thanks again guys.
              Originally posted by myakka View Post
              The life straw (I believe) is good for 30 gallons, the mini for thousands.

Also, I forget the exact "microns" of the mini, but I believe it DOES take out most chemicals and viruses.

Comment

We have both the Life Straw, and the Sawyer mini. I'm a firm believer of one can never have enough water filtration devices. We've purchased water filters from LDS and the Katadyn Vario Water Filter. I still want to get a Berkey Light Water Filter. I really fear that finding clean water sources may be an issue, so I would rather have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them.
                “Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”~Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Crap Crazymom, I meant to hit reply and it seems I hit edit your post. Sorry for a moderator mistake. The buttons for edit post and reply are side by side.

Sorry. Didn't mean to take liberties with your post.

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

hahahaha no problem its all good!
                    Originally posted by myakka View Post
                    Crap Crazymom, I meant to hit reply and it seems I hit edit your post. Sorry for a moderator mistake. The buttons for edit post and reply are side by side.

Sorry. Didn't mean to take liberties with your post.

Comment

Good idea Trinket. I'll probably end up getting both. Too test and to have for our bags. I have not heard of the Berkley Light Water Filter so I'll check that out for sure.

Do either of them have a shelf life?

Originally posted by Trinket View Post
                      We have both the Life Straw, and the Sawyer mini. I'm a firm believer of one can never have enough water filtration devices. We've purchased water filters from LDS and the Katadyn Vario Water Filter. I still want to get a Berkey Light Water Filter. I really fear that finding clean water sources may be an issue, so I would rather have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them.

Comment

Berkey Light Water Filter

The Berkey Light water purifier can be used in any setting, but it was originally designed to be a lower-cost, lightweight, portable alternative to our larger stainless steel units. Weighing only seven pounds, the Berkey Light holds 2.5 gallons of purified water and can provide enough water for groups of up to 10 to 20 people. The Berkey Light is ideally suited for outdoor and emergency use, as it requires no water pressure and no electricity and can provide pure drinking water from almost any source. More than just a water filter, the Berkey Light is classified as a water purifier. Our microfiltration system outperforms our competitors by filtering out 99.99% of viruses and bacteria — as well as other contaminants such as chlorine and lead — without the use of harsh chemicals. The Berkey Light water filter systems have features that are unique to this specific model of water purifier. Light and durable, the see-through container makes it easier to determine the amount of water in the upper container without the need to have the water-view spigot. The built-in elevated base makes it possible to place a drinking water glass under the spigot without having to place the unit on the edge of the counter. The lightweight BPA-free poly material is extremely durable, making it dent- and shatter-proof. The Berkey Light water purifier produces the same quality and quantity of water as the stainless steel models at a more economical price. All Berkey Light water filter units come with two filters and two plugs and have the capability to accept four filters. It’s the most economical of our larger units; the two Black Berkey filters that come with the unit are good for up to 6,000 gallons of purified drinking water, at only about 2 cents per gallon. If you purchase the four-filter model, you get an extra set of Black Berkey elements. If at any time you need a higher water flow rate, converting to a larger system is easy — simply remove the supplied plugs from the upper container and add the extra filters. The Berkey Light water filter & purifier comes with complete instructions and everything you need to start enjoying the benefits of great-tasting purified drinking water anywhere you go. Shop online to buy the Berkey Light, or call our toll-free number: 1-800-350-4170.

- See more at: http://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkey-...ght.html#.dpuf
                        “Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”~Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Watching Doomsday Preppers and guess what the guy just used lol a straw filter to drink from water! They did not say the product of course but it looks like LifeStraw!

Comment

The Sawyer Mini can filter down to .01 micron. It uses new 21st century tech to accomplish this. The old original filters that cost us $390.00 for the individual unit to well over $1200 for the group unit.

They can filter down to no more then .2 micron well over 10x less filtering then the mini that cost less then $50.00!

So the mini can filter 10x the level of the old filter systems, cost for a movie, soda, and pop corn. And can do so for 1000's of gallons of water.

Comment

I am going to make some tree branch filters for my next kayak camping trip. http://worldtruth.tv/pine-tree-branc...ation-systems/

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X