Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mangler
    replied
    These rules also apply to Over The Counter and prescription drugs. The Air Force spent $800 million testing the efficacy of drugs after freezing them for years past their expiration dates. They found the dry form of drugs were still safe and effective. The testing is ongoing and is now in its third decade. So far, the dry powder form of drugs stay safe and effective.

Leave a comment:

• Trinket
    replied
    Originally posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
    Trinket, don't buy honey from a grocery store. Much of what is presented as such ain't and what is has been so thoroughly "processed" the natural, beneficial characteristics have been cooked away. All that remains is "sweet" goo.

Look here > http://www.alabamabeekeepers.com/

Not all bee keepers are members of associations so look elsewhere as well ....

O.W.

Thanks OW for the website link and the information. The honey that was picked up was from a local produce stand, and is local Wildflower honey, so, I think it's the good stuff. I don't buy the Sue Bee and other honeys at the grocery stores, no telling where that honey came from.

Leave a comment:

• countryboy6685
    replied
    Great post thanks !
    Robert W

Leave a comment:

• Oscar Wilde
    replied
    Trinket, don't buy honey from a grocery store. Much of what is presented as such ain't and what is has been so thoroughly "processed" the natural, beneficial characteristics have been cooked away. All that remains is "sweet" goo.

Look here > http://www.alabamabeekeepers.com/

Not all bee keepers are members of associations so look elsewhere as well ....

O.W.

Leave a comment:

• Trinket
    replied
    Applejack, that's a great reminder to all the new preppers. Always check your purchases well.
    I purchased a quart of local honey the other day, and planned on putting it up for long term storage. I let the clerk pick it up for me as it was closer to her. It had to be returned, the canning jar wasn't sealed properly. Waste of my time and gas.

Leave a comment:

• Applejack
    started a topic sell by dates:

sell by dates:

Since we have a lot of new comers on here and some are just starting to prep, thought this might be a good time to remind people of the sell by dates and what they mean.

A Sell by date tells the store how long to display a product for sell. You should by the product before the date expires.

A Best if used by date (on or before)is recomended for best flavor or quality. It is not a purchase or safety date.

A use by date is the last date recomended for the use of the produce while at peak quality. The date has been determend by the manufacture of the product.
    Closed or coded dates are packing numbers for use by the manufacture.

Except for the use by date, product dates don't always pertain to home storage and use after purchases. Use by date usually refers to best qualilty and are not safety dates.
    Even if the date expires during home storage, a product should be safe, wholesome and of good quality if handled and stored properly.
    The cooler you can keep your can goods the longer they will last.

The only exception to this is the use by date on infant formula, which is mandated by the food and drug Adm.

Bottom line is after the expiration date, the food may not be as fresh and it may not have lost some of it's nutritional value, but generally is safe to eat.

Best thing to do is open it, inspect it. If it smells bad, looks off color or has a funny taste, get rid of it.
    And never eat food from rusty, bulging, dented or otherwise damaged cans.

ANY CAN THAT IS BULGING, DO NOT OPEN BUT THROW IT OUT IN A WAY THAT NO ANIMAL CAN GET HOLD OF IT. IT COULD CONTAIN BOLULISEM.

I have can food that has gone out of date over 4 years ago and it has still been good to eat with no problems. Only had one bulging can that I got rid of.
    The lower the temps (not freezing) you keep your can goods the longer it will last. Keep away from light as well in cool, dark area.
Working...
X