setteling muddy turbid water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setteling muddy turbid water

I posted this over in the camping section then thought it might be better here. It's something I'd never heard of doing. I'll paste it below.

I just stumbled across this while surfing around Pinterest and I have somehow never heard about this. To help save on filters clogging up from dirty water, they suggest adding food grade Alum to the water and that it will allow the fine particles in suspension to settle out and therefore save it from clogging the small pores in ceramic filters and the such. They mention it being pricey at like $4 per 2oz but then the one internet place they show a pound for like $10. 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water.(that would do a lot of gallons)

Not trying to advertise for this site or anything but again this is first time in my years of researching that I've ever come across mention of it.

What r ur thoughts? Anyone heard of this or tried it before?

http://livingprepared.blogspot.com/2012/04/dirty-water-and-how-to-easily-clarify.html?m=1
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

If turbid water is all I have available I was taught to dig a hole close to the water supply and let the water filter into it. The water filling the hole will be clear as long as your not disturbing it. If you have sand that you can put some in the bottom of the hole it will help with filtering the water even more.

I'm not sure about ingesting alum, since it's an emetic as well as an astringent. Someone with more medical knowledge than me hopefully will chime in on how low doses of alum in your water would affect the body. Personally, I don't think I would be comfortable with using it in a SHTF scenario, just in case it would act as an emetic. Vomiting up water in a survival situation would be very bad. Just my .02 cents.

Dale

Comment

Thanks Dale... I was doing a little more research into this, this morning. Found this in regards to it's use in pickling which sounds scary. Even though I'm thinking much of the 1/2 teaspoon might filter out to the bottom with the sediment I'm not chancing it. Guess this might be why I'd never heard of doing this. The whole chemistry of the process sounds interesting though. Might need to see if something safe like baking soda might work.

In the mean time, I'll also stick to the same method I was taught of digging a sump hole next to the water also I'll continue to keep a few coffee filters in my kit.

"Alum for pickling, also known as aluminum
      potassium sulfate or potassium aluminum sulfate, can be found readily on a grocery’s shelves in the spice aisle in the form of a powder. Food safety experts say alum for pickling is safe, but ingestion of a single ounce (28.34 grams) can be deadly for an adult. Alum for pickling can be discarded if the methods used are more modern and the vegetables and fruit called for in the recipes are fresh. If alum is employed, it should be thoroughly rinsed from the final liquid and product."
      - wisegeek.com
      I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

corn starch can also work but it's slow. they were doing some experiments using sound waves to remove pollutants from air and water but it was energy intensive. I like dalewick's solution better. part of the kit i keep with my katydyn is some old nylon stockings; they work very well as a pre-filter covering the primary intake.
        Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Working...
        X