Clear All

• SharpAssist
    replied
    Great Post. I never thought about grinding up pig skins

Leave a comment:

• dalewick
    replied
    Originally posted by ZAGran View Post
    Since the possums were killed in the corn field, there was no need to feed them out, they had done it on their own!
    Gran,

You know what I mean then. LOL! Seen possums crawl out of a horse that had laid there in the hot summer sun for a month and seen them actually eat far worse.

Never ceases to amaze me how people become far less choosy about eats the hungrier they become. Seen times during survival schools I've ate things a goat would pass on. He wouldn't even try them. LOL!

Dale

Leave a comment:

• ZAGran
    replied
    Originally posted by dalewick View Post
    WAY, WAY better than possum. Especially a possum that hasn't been feed and cleaned out. Just my .02 cents.

Dale
    Since the possums were killed in the corn field, there was no need to feed them out, they had done it on their own!

Leave a comment:

• RICHFL
    replied
    Thank God we have a lot of country between us. Or we would have to act as the Indians did, moving around and following the game. We would clear out a few square miles in the first years alone any where we go.

That is one reason we no longer hunt on the farm we own. The deer have taken to staying in our woods during the fall seasons coming out to the fields to graze at night.

Leave a comment:

• rabunmom
    replied
    Worse thing I ate was seal meat, terrible stuff

Leave a comment:

• myakka
    replied
    The worst thing I ever ate was an old black crow. Nasty greasiness. all I can say.

I hope to never be that hungry again.

Leave a comment:

• PrairieRat
    replied
    I sincerely hope I never have to eat another possum! Coon, woodchuck, armadillo, gator are all good.
    Had beaver tail last spring, first time in years, much greasier than I recall. Should have treated it like fat-back in beans.

Leave a comment:

• dalewick
    replied
    Thanks dalewick,
    They do look a bit like a pig! So tote up another protein source. I'll bet if they were around 70 years ago I would already know the best way to BBQ them! I bet they would go better with sweet taters than possum.
    WAY, WAY better than possum. Especially a possum that hasn't been feed and cleaned out. Just my .02 cents.

Dale

Leave a comment:

• dalewick
    replied
    Originally posted by NRAamy View Post
    What about iguana? Anyone had that? Taste like chicken? We have a $-load of those down here.....
    Taste like chicken. LOL! Actually does a good bit. Ate it in survival school in Panama. Cook it with the skin on ate it with rice and wild yams. Not bad eats all things considered.

Dale

Leave a comment:

• NRAamy
    replied
    What about iguana? Anyone had that? Taste like chicken? We have a $-load of those down here.....

Leave a comment:

• Applejack
    replied
    Not road kill Applejack, trapped! Nice and clean. Or shot. My family hunted squirrel with a 22, not a shotgun. Lost points if wasn't head or neck shot.

Just to gross you out more, the head, eyeballs, and tail were stewed along with the rest of the body (after cleaning of course) and there was always a scramble to get the heads, crack them open and eat the brains. Since there were usually 8 or 10 people at the table it could get quite fun until my Papa or Mama would step in and allocate the heads (usually 4 to 6). Papa got first go though.
    ZAGran, you are right that is gross. I had uncles and my grandfather both hunted and only one uncle and my grandfather trapped, but when I stayed at my grandparents house we didn't eat that stuff. It was always chicken which they raised or dear meat. Don't remember any thing like possom, squarrel and such as my grandmother would not cook it. If she wouldn't eat it then it did not get served. But in realility, if things get really bad, I guess we would learn to eat anything.

Leave a comment:

• Buggyout
    replied
    Speaking of pig. I was driving home this afternoon and this HUGE domestic pig crossed the road in front of me. He had to have been at least 500 Lbs. Took his sweet old time too.

-Buggy

Leave a comment:

• ZAGran
    replied
    Thanks dalewick,
    They do look a bit like a pig! So tote up another protein source. I'll bet if they were around 70 years ago I would already know the best way to BBQ them! I bet they would go better with sweet taters than possum.

Leave a comment:

• dalewick
    replied
    By the way, I hear armadillo is eatable. Anyone know how to cook it? Or how to trap them? When I was a kid they were not in my part of the world. Now I see them everywhere (Applejack's road kill).
    Gran,

Any pork recipe works pretty well for armadillo. I actually liked them BBQ'ed, but I like everything BBQ'ed. LOL. Armadillos are easily snared at den sites and can be caught with live traps sometimes using sardines, bannanas, strawberries, mealworms, etc. They never seemed to respond to bait well enough for me to bother with using it. I preferred dens or established trails with snares.

Dale

Leave a comment:

• ZAGran
    replied
    By the way, I hear armadillo is eatable. Anyone know how to cook it? Or how to trap them? When I was a kid they were not in my part of the world. Now I see them everywhere (Applejack's road kill).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X