• Show
Clear All

• Protein and fat

Very important, as you all know.

Good sources -

Wild Game and fish.

Don't rely on just hunting and fishing.

High end:

Dehydrated "survival" food or freeze dried meat crumbles. Very expensive.
    Asian markets sell dried shrimp and fish shavings.

What most of us can afford:

SPAM
    Vienna sausages (Disgusting little stomach bombs, I know..but cheap.)
    Beans. (Beans and rice make a complete protein.)
    Other canned meat.
    Pig skins, and here is why - Buy the cheap stuff and grind it up in bulk. Add to soup, beans and rice. It's light and keeps well under certain circumstances.

Fat:

Eat all the fat you get. That includes the "Jelly" substance on SPAM. Serious... Go out to a steak place and look at all the wasted fat, gristle and meat of other diners.

Boil bones, suck out the marrow.

Are you ready?

-Buggy
    I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

I had this discussion with some folks and they didn't want to start the paleo diet because they didn't want to be on a special diet when shtf. I laughed, because when things go down, EVERYONE will be trending back to paleo.
    "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Pig Skins? Are you referring to Pork Rinds, the puffed ones in a bag like potato chips?

Comment

Originally posted by ZAGran View Post
        Pig Skins? Are you referring to Pork Rinds, the puffed ones in a bag like potato chips?
        Yup.

Pork rinds. Chicharones.

-Buggy

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
          I had this discussion with some folks and they didn't want to start the paleo diet because they didn't want to be on a special diet when shtf. I laughed, because when things go down, EVERYONE will be trending back to paleo.
          True to the last letter, Bro. Ha ha.

-Buggy

Comment

Buggy,

Agree with not relying on hunting and fishing for acquiring wild protein. I have tried to show folks that trapping (NOT JUST FURBEARERS) is a much better way of getting meat than hunting or fishing could ever be. Everything can be trapped, large game, medium size game (whitetailed deer, turkeys, hogs, etc), small game (including furbearers) as well as fish, birds and even reptiles. A small trapline will produce far more food than constant hunting possibly could. Getting ready for trapping season myself, now. Just a thought.

Dale

Comment

Trap everything and eat them.

Good advice.

-Buggy

Comment

Roast possum and sweet taters - YUM!

Comment

Squirrel head stew................ haven't had it since one of the little old ladies at church passed. It was her specialty, and no one wanted to be the next one to bring any in. Plus the fact that it is sort of an old timey dish.
                  "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                    Squirrel head stew................ haven't had it since one of the little old ladies at church passed. It was her specialty, and no one wanted to be the next one to bring any in. Plus the fact that it is sort of an old timey dish.
                    Another of my childhood favorites - squirrel & dumplings - can't be too different - :D

Comment

Originally posted by ZAGran View Post
                      Another of my childhood favorites - squirrel & dumplings - can't be too different - :D
                      No prolly the same.......... there were dumplings.

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

OK, squirrel and other road kill. I don't think so. That stuff is all up and down the roads around here. Can't do road kill. However, we have wild turkey, bear, must go out Carolina for hog. Now that I can do. Only problem is our hunter neighbor got transferred to Alabama. Rats. I'm all out of bear meat and wild hog meat.

Comment

Not road kill Applejack, trapped! Nice and clean. Or shot. My family hunted squirrel with a 22, not a shotgun. Lost points if wasn't head or neck shot.

Just to gross you out more, the head, eyeballs, and tail were stewed along with the rest of the body (after cleaning of course) and there was always a scramble to get the heads, crack them open and eat the brains. Since there were usually 8 or 10 people at the table it could get quite fun until my Papa or Mama would step in and allocate the heads (usually 4 to 6). Papa got first go though.

Comment

Yup Dale, trapping is the solution.
                            Its stealthy, it provides furs, leather, sinews, & bones for clothing, shelter & tools.
                            Not just mammals either, fish, crawfish, even birds (feathers) can be trapped.
                            It amazes me how many preppers have snare materials in their pack, yet can't be trusted to make a reliable set with steel. They will be rudely surprised when their life relies on their skills, or lack of same.
                            I'm living your dreams!

Comment

I agree about the trapping being a big plus. I like the idea that it is still working while I am doing other things.

I need to follow through with some plans I had in this area................ Get those big rat traps I wanted for squirrels, and some yoyo reels for fishes and other uses.............

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X