DIY Solar heat fresnel lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Solar heat fresnel lens

I was familiar with the Fresnel lenses before last night's DDP. I even scavenged one out of an old rear projection tv exactly like the guy did last night, but I put the project aside because I didn't seem to get the heat that everyone promised.

But I learned last night that I didn't give my lens a fair shot since I was holding it sort of folded or vertical. I saw last night how the guy built a frame, (easy carpentry honestly), and one statement he said was that without holding the lens horizontal and at the right distance it wouldn't generate the heat.

So as soon as I get a break in my schedule, (probably next week) I will frame it and test it. I will let yall know how it works.

I have a solar oven I built that only gets to about 200f So I had hoped to use this to increase the heat in it, obviously I can make it TOO hot, but if this works it should be good for aiming at a dutch oven and cooking with the sun. I will experiment and advise *With photos
    ******If this works, I will be happy to work with anyone who wants to try it too. This is the way to go for Florida. Consider this: Put a metal water trough under it and have hot baths, boil water, and cook using the sun
    "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Have you seen his you tube videos? I have asked him questions before and he will get right back to you.
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
    -Ben Franklin

Comment

Forgot here is the link to his website

http://www.greenpowerscience.com/
      "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
      -Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes, I have been on his site. By the way, since you mentioned this guy...... I am doing mine DIY, but he makes them and you can order them for like $80, plus $20 for delivery. Consider this when you look to buy that old rear projection tv.

I got mine free and that's why I started playing with it in the first place. If I don't make it work, I will order one from him.
        "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

I purchased a lens for under 10 dollars to make a solar oven. It is great at heating water! Takes less time then my stove in the house, on a sunny day.

But to take a whole chicken and expect to have it cook it like they did on the show is just stupid. They did 3 things wrong.

1. They did not cut up the chicken. More exposed area the faster it cooks.

2. They did not use a cooking bag. A cooking bag keeps the moisture in thus giving you a tender piece of meat.

3. They did not use a covered dutch oven that would spread the heat.

So the answer is cut up the chicken, place in a cooking bag, and then place the bag into a dutch oven before you start cooking in any solar oven.

Comment

cool sight lots of possibilities there thank you.
            NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO

Comment

I have two fresnel lenses out of a overhead projector that I was keeping for heating water in a pot or starting a fire. Never even considered using a lens on a much bigger scale. Will be watching to see how it turns out. Thanks
              Anyone that would give up freedom for security, deserves neither. ~ Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X