X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big_Saw
    replied
    Post Here With Good Med-Gear Finds...

So this forum doesn't get to be 900 pages deep with new threads for every different type of dental floss that comes down the pike...I'm merging the gear-related posts here, and ask all members to post medical gear finds in this thread, unless you find something TRULY INNOVATIVE that warrants its own thread....

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    Originally posted by TheUnboundOne View Post
    Folks, I have recently added Styptic Pencils to my BOB First Aid Kits.

In case you're not familiar with them, these are the old-timey sticks made mostly of Aluminum Sulfate (56% in the case of mine) which barbers and straight-razor shaving men used to seal up the long and free-bleeding cuts which shaving can sometimes produce.

Just touch a Styptic Pencil to the cut and the bleeding stops and the skin shrivels to seal the wound shut, which also keeps dirt and germs from getting into the wound until you can bandage it up. You can still find them reasonably priced in the razor and shaving section of Wal-Mart and other fine grocery or drug stores.

If your local store is all out of Styptic Pencils, you could also use Alum powder from the baking/spice section of the grocery store as well.
    Alum powder is what we used in the field IMFL....works well, and is cheap and packable.

Leave a comment:

• Zombie Axe
    replied
    http://www.celoxmedical.com/

heard alot of folks use this as well, seems to do the same thing...

Some folks also have a 'blow out kit' to keep you from bleeding to death... has the blood clotting stuff , a torniquet as well as some other med supplies...

http://www.afmo.com/QuikClot_Blow_Ou.../210-00139.htm

Looks like a cool website as well!!!

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by Diesel View Post
    REALLY? How could it hurt, if you have unctrolled bleeding in the field you MUST stop it at all costs, don't you agree?

I heard this stuff was a life saver

You talking to yourself, or did you delete some posts?

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    Have it in my trauma response bag....always have some in the glove box of my work rig, too....works really well when some greenhorn decides to stop a chop saw with his thumb......

There's some research which suggests the danger of a loose thrombus as a result of use, which could cause a severe stroke, etc....I've never heard of this happening....plus, I'd rather live to battle a side-effect than bleed out in a couple of minutes....

Leave a comment:

• Omegaman
    replied
    We use to do logging in the winter for extra money. We had a couple of FNG's on our crew, well this rookie makes a dumb cut that turns into a snag. Instead of asking for help he tries to cut it free himself well it springs back and smashes his hand into another stump, driving a splinter the size of a butcher knife through his hand.I did not pull the spinter out when the tree rolled it pulled out on its own. So I treated as a stab wound. I always have QC and blood stopper bandages, field dressings and eye wash in my day pack. I Cut off his glove, washed hand with sterile saline solution, then applied QC and field dressing. The blood flow stopped seconds after applying QC and he was ready for the long ride out of the woods and to the hospital. So I would have to give QC a big thumbs up:)

Leave a comment:

• Zombie Axe
    replied
    Good idea TUO :D

Leave a comment:

• TheUnboundOne
    replied
    Styptic Pencil

Folks, I have recently added Styptic Pencils to my BOB First Aid Kits.

In case you're not familiar with them, these are the old-timey sticks made mostly of Aluminum Sulfate (56% in the case of mine) which barbers and straight-razor shaving men used to seal up the long and free-bleeding cuts which shaving can sometimes produce.

Just touch a Styptic Pencil to the cut and the bleeding stops and the skin shrivels to seal the wound shut, which also keeps dirt and germs from getting into the wound until you can bandage it up. You can still find them reasonably priced in the razor and shaving section of Wal-Mart and other fine grocery or drug stores.

If your local store is all out of Styptic Pencils, you could also use Alum powder from the baking/spice section of the grocery store as well.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by QuickChange View Post
    Biglots has these for $4.00 each. They are high carbon & tungston-carbide blades. Never dulls, lifetime guarantee ? I bought one for each back pack.
    I will use for shaving face & for hair removal for medical treatment.

They were almost sold out, so buy em before gone. Dave

Have you used it yet? THe reviews do not sound too positive.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
    Glad I could help;) Someone gave me one of these in a stocking......notice I didn't mention it in the gift thread.....'cause it really, really sux.

I could get a better shave with my fingernail.

Jay says:

1/10/2008 - jay of Florida, USA writes:

This is worse than using sandpaper on your face. The very first shave sent chilling pain shivers up my spine. it didn't shave my face it actually PULLED the hair out. Wow....don't buy this as it is a SCAM!!

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    Originally posted by Rustyshakelford View Post
    Crap. I almost went to big lots to buy one. My hair is like a wire brush. Glad I did not waste my money. No positive reviews on that website.
    Glad I could help;) Someone gave me one of these in a stocking......notice I didn't mention it in the gift thread.....'cause it really, really sux.

I could get a better shave with my fingernail.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Crap. I almost went to big lots to buy one. My hair is like a wire brush. Glad I did not waste my money. No positive reviews on that website. I also shave my head. I just read what the wrote about that. Said it scalped him.
    Last edited by Rustyshakelford; 12-26-2008, 11:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    Biglots has these for $4.00 each. They are high carbon & tungston-carbide blades. Never dulls, lifetime guarantee ? I bought one for each back pack.

Be afraid.....be very afraid......

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/12/fa...rssnyt&emc=rss

http://www.infomercialratings.com/pr..._razor_reviews

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied

I will go buy a few tomorrow. Good advice, but you are missing something.....what can it be? Oh yeah!! .

Photos

Leave a comment:

• QuickChange
    replied
    Infinity Razor, Lifetime sharp

Leave a comment:

Working...
X