This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Styptic Pencil

Folks, I have recently added Styptic Pencils to my BOB First Aid Kits.

In case you're not familiar with them, these are the old-timey sticks made mostly of Aluminum Sulfate (56% in the case of mine) which barbers and straight-razor shaving men used to seal up the long and free-bleeding cuts which shaving can sometimes produce.

Just touch a Styptic Pencil to the cut and the bleeding stops and the skin shrivels to seal the wound shut, which also keeps dirt and germs from getting into the wound until you can bandage it up. You can still find them reasonably priced in the razor and shaving section of Wal-Mart and other fine grocery or drug stores.

If your local store is all out of Styptic Pencils, you could also use Alum powder from the baking/spice section of the grocery store as well.
    "Apocalypse is by no means inevitable." --Jim Rice.

Comment

Good idea TUO :D

later,
      ZA

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to
      beat you to death with it because it is empty.

The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

Comment

We use to do logging in the winter for extra money. We had a couple of FNG's on our crew, well this rookie makes a dumb cut that turns into a snag. Instead of asking for help he tries to cut it free himself well it springs back and smashes his hand into another stump, driving a splinter the size of a butcher knife through his hand.I did not pull the spinter out when the tree rolled it pulled out on its own. So I treated as a stab wound. I always have QC and blood stopper bandages, field dressings and eye wash in my day pack. I Cut off his glove, washed hand with sterile saline solution, then applied QC and field dressing. The blood flow stopped seconds after applying QC and he was ready for the long ride out of the woods and to the hospital. So I would have to give QC a big thumbs up:)

Comment

Have it in my trauma response bag....always have some in the glove box of my work rig, too....works really well when some greenhorn decides to stop a chop saw with his thumb......

There's some research which suggests the danger of a loose thrombus as a result of use, which could cause a severe stroke, etc....I've never heard of this happening....plus, I'd rather live to battle a side-effect than bleed out in a couple of minutes....
          "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel View Post
            REALLY? How could it hurt, if you have unctrolled bleeding in the field you MUST stop it at all costs, don't you agree?

I heard this stuff was a life saver

You talking to yourself, or did you delete some posts?

Comment

http://www.celoxmedical.com/

heard alot of folks use this as well, seems to do the same thing...

Some folks also have a 'blow out kit' to keep you from bleeding to death... has the blood clotting stuff , a torniquet as well as some other med supplies...

http://www.afmo.com/QuikClot_Blow_Ou.../210-00139.htm

Looks like a cool website as well!!!

later,
              ZA

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to
              beat you to death with it because it is empty.

The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

Comment

Originally posted by TheUnboundOne View Post
                Folks, I have recently added Styptic Pencils to my BOB First Aid Kits.

In case you're not familiar with them, these are the old-timey sticks made mostly of Aluminum Sulfate (56% in the case of mine) which barbers and straight-razor shaving men used to seal up the long and free-bleeding cuts which shaving can sometimes produce.

Just touch a Styptic Pencil to the cut and the bleeding stops and the skin shrivels to seal the wound shut, which also keeps dirt and germs from getting into the wound until you can bandage it up. You can still find them reasonably priced in the razor and shaving section of Wal-Mart and other fine grocery or drug stores.

If your local store is all out of Styptic Pencils, you could also use Alum powder from the baking/spice section of the grocery store as well.
                Alum powder is what we used in the field IMFL....works well, and is cheap and packable.
                "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

Comment

Post Here With Good Med-Gear Finds...

So this forum doesn't get to be 900 pages deep with new threads for every different type of dental floss that comes down the pike...I'm merging the gear-related posts here, and ask all members to post medical gear finds in this thread, unless you find something TRULY INNOVATIVE that warrants its own thread....

Comment

Celox is great stuff. I have several packs plus syringes of it put away. Used it once on a buddy who put a machette into his thigh about an inch deep. Not pretty. Stopped the bleeding in 20 seconds.
                    "Lighthouses are more helpful than churches" Franklin

Comment

I still use the old method.
                      Either hot iron from the fire, or just break open one of my bullets, pour it on the wound and then light it.

Of course you all know I am kidding?

I did like the looks of these kits though since I am not an EMT (yet) it has enough contents for my size family for a while in some of these kits.
                      http://beprepared.com/category.asp_Q...sandComponents
                      Which brings up another point, of always having extra to help others if you have the means available.
                      Last edited by Cowboyup65; 02-22-2009, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Don't forget an emergency dental kit! Along with a copy of "Where There Is No Dentist". The pain and/or infection caused by a dental problem can put a person completely out of action.

And I think a post regarding hemostatic agents is warranted; I will throw something together right now...

Comment

I had bought into the “magic dust” and purchased the early version Z-Medica QuikClot Trauma Kit that included 2- 50gr. Packets. The QuikClot wound up on eBay after half shelve life, when I learned of an expiration date. It was not until I sought formal training, I learned that the original formula caused thermal heating to the wound. The formula was revised and was rapidly distributed in theater, where the troops were using QuikClot on all wounds and in many cases, causing more problems. It was found that under austere conditions, the granular would blow away, get in the eyes or contact with other substances. These Hemostatic Agents have since evolved into an impregnated sponge and gauze applications. The US Army is now replacing the QuikClot modules with Combat Gauze and Combat Application Tourniquet (CAT) components.

Comment

Combat Application Tourniquet (CAT) and SOF Tactical Tourniquet (SOFTT)

Comment

Asherman, Bolin and Halo Chest Seals

Comment

The American indians for 100's of yrs have used Chia seeds. Ground up into a powder, chia absorbs 12 x's its weight in water. It has very high antioxident, antibacterial properties & high omega 3 oils. Best of all, it is all natural food. I have been eating it for 12 yrs now for the high energy it gives.

It is thee best survival food I have tried. No cooking/preparing, a complete whole food (contains ALL the nutrients ur body needs) does not spoil (if keep dry), give lots of energy, very concentrated (eat 1oz/day & no other food), high protein (20%), light weight and CHEAP !
                                Its called the runner food for good reason. You could live on 12 lbs for over 6 MONTHS !

I am willing to help the group with special prices, if u contact me thru this board. It is available in 6, 12, 22 & 44lbs.

Jeff

I can direct to a web site for more info.

Comment

Working...
                                X