X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• myakka
    replied
    good post. The reaction you are having to poison oak is due to the OILS from the plant, so makes sense to get rid of the oil asap and then wait for the irritation to subside.

Leave a comment:

• creekcritter
    replied
    In a pinch, if you get Poison Oak, spray carburetor cleaner or break cleaner on the rashy area. Clears up in days.

Leave a comment:

• Applejack
    replied
    I have also heard that raw potatoe over a boil and then cover will also draw out the infection from a boil.
    AJ

Leave a comment:

• mtnlioness
    replied
    To draw the core out of a boil. Warm milk on a chunk of bread. Put over the boil and then cover with some sort of bandage. It will draw the center out of the boil within 24 hours and help the area to heal.

Leave a comment:

• Morgan101
    replied
    Myakka62 - I did not know that about the stomach. Very interesting. I probably don't lounge like a lion; more like a Grizzly Bear, but lounge I do. I don't have stomach trouble, but walking is certainly a good idea.

Leave a comment:

• Chefsimms
    replied
    Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
    Here's a good one from the "Old School"........

Pour black pepper on a bleeding wound (not a veinal one, just lacerations...duh) to constrict blood flow.....hurts like a bitch, but works in a pinch.....
    Black pepper will also seal a small leak in your Truck or cars radiator

Leave a comment:

• myakka
    replied
    Good use of ginger. Ginger is also good for most upset stomachs, especially seasickness and carsickness. So if you know you get those reactions to travelling, try Edmcgill's ginger recipe's just before you travel also.

Leave a comment:

• Edmcgill
    replied
    Peel off a small chunk of ginger root and chew on it (it's a little strong/spicy but not unbearable) but this will cure acid reflux! You can also boil some water and put in some shaved ginger and then strain it and drink. Best cure for acid reflux.

Leave a comment:

• myakka
    replied
    I was told by a Dr that amost 1/4th of his patients are on nexium. (He is a gastro-md)
    He told me I needed it because of acid reflux. My stomach is over-producing acid.

Home remedy:
    When the symptoms are at their worst, drink some pickle juice. If it gets better then you are over-producing acid. Avoid high acid foods like tomatoes, and drink a little pickle juice if you feel bad. (the vinegar cuts the acid.)
    If it doesn't help, then you might be UNDER producing acid. This can seem to have the same symptoms. The answer here is ..... obviously increase acidic food intake. For example if you are eating a heavy meal then drink a little orange juice with it.

Most important is this: your stomach is designed to work while you are out walking. hold over from hunter gatherer days. We are not designed to eat then lounge like a lion. so if you have stomach complaints, step one: start taking a short walk right after dinner.

Leave a comment:

• Chefsimms
    replied
    And should the gas cause a reaction, that's another use for milk........curbs the irritation...
    Unless you are lactose intolerant

Leave a comment:

• tbkbtk123
    replied
    I use a mirror and dull carpenter pencil to get foreign objects out of my eye.....been workin for 20+ years....
    This does work, have had to do it serveral times.When I get something in my eye, my grandmother always said to pull your eyelid down and blow your nose or cough real hard and it brings whatever is in your eye to the corner where it is easier to get out.
    Last edited by tbkbtk123; 03-18-2011, 07:48 PM. Reason: Spelling

Leave a comment:

• plowboy65
    replied
    hey my garndpaw was a woods men he dug roots like ginsang yellowroot blood root you get the driift well i was young didn't pay that much mind to what he told me but here in ky, we call it water weed crush it and put it on bee sting stinging needle and other thing stops stinging right there he told me one time to rub some plant on me and the misqutoes stoped biteing me oh and deer flyes too but i don't remember what it was. my great aunt gave me burvine tea for the flu and bye the next morning i was cured sweated the covers full but the ful was gone

Leave a comment:

• Brother Bill
    replied
    Lets not forget aloe for any kind of burn. I always cut a piece and carry it when camping. Just in case of burns when cooking over camp fires. Works great for sunburn as well. Honey for cuts.
    Last but not least a little ginger in tea is a good antidepressant. Good for a survival kit. If your lost and stuck over night a good brew with some ginger in it will help calm you down and allow you to think a little more clearly.

Leave a comment:

• ryantx23
    replied
    For my kit I carry:

1) Tea Tree Oil.
    Usage: Antiseptic & Antifungal applications. Also pungent enough for some sinus relief.

2) Clove Oil (Oil of Cloves).
    Usage: parasthesia for teeth.

3) Eucalyptus Oil:
    Usage: Sinuses. (Active ingredient in Vicks Vapour Rub)

4) Condies Crystals (potassium permanganate):
    Usage: Antifungal applications. Water purification (in a pinch) and ingredient for fire lighting in survival situations.

I also use caffeine products (e.g. a nice cuppa tea and/or coffee) as light pain relief in folk who do not usually use caffeine as a drug of choice. It is also the first thing I prescribe someone for a headache out field who normally drinks a lot of caffeine drinks. The first few days out bush can lead to withdrawal headaches. A quick cuppa is as effective as one of the commercial analgesics.

Tincture of Benzoin -cuts, scrapes, wound edge 'glue', steri strip glue, blister fixer.
    Baking soda - does so much it's scary.
    vinegar - yes, vinegar -antiseptic, and a great cure for alkylosis.
    Honey/sugar - as posted by many above.
    Sassafrass/Sasparilla root/stem/leaf - diuretic, antinausea, and a nerve tonic, makes a nice tea too.
    Boric acid - again lots of uses - including keeping the hooch free of bugs
    Coal Tar Soap - fungal and louse care
    Tobacco - worm care, emetic, vasoconstrictor
    Alum - vasoconstrictor, great for stopping bleeding
    Coffee - diuretic, vasodialator - bronchodialator if you have an asthma attack or light anaphalaxis, you keep the airways open.

Leave a comment:

• nakadnu
    replied
    That's not a remedy....that's a TRAVESTY! BACON WASTER!!!!!
    Take the sliver out of the bacon and eat it. Not the sliver the bacon. All things are best that have multiple uses.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X