Fire Cider

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Cider

Fire Cider is a natural homemade approach to snuffing out the common cold. It was e-mailed to me so thought I would share it.
    It comes from a herbalist lady name Rosemary Gladstar. The health benefits are strong antibacterial properties, antifungal agents, virus killer, enhances the immune system.
    Original Fire Cider Recipe:
    Ingredients
    1/2 cup graded fresh horseadish root
    1/2 cup or more fresh chopped onions
    1/4 cup or more chopped garlic
    1/4 cup or more grated ginger
    Chopped fresh or dried cayenne pepper to taste: can be whole or powdered.
    to taste means should be hot but not so hot you can't tolerate it. better to make it a little milder than to hot.. You can always add more pepper later if necessary.
    Optional ingreadients are Turmeric, Echinacea, cinnamon, any kind of peppers etc.

Directions
    Place herbs in a half gallon canning jarand cover with enough raw unpasteurized apple cider vinegar to cover the herbs by at least 3 to 4 inches. Cover tightly with a tight fitting lid.
    place jar in a warm place and let sit for 3 or 4 weeks. Best to shake everyday to help in the maceration process.
    After 3 or 4 weeks. strain out the herbs, and reserve the liquid.
    Add honey to taste. Warm the honey first so it mixes in well.
    To taste means your fire cider should taste hot, spicy,, and sweet. A little bit of honey helps the medicine go down.
    Rebottle and enjoy: Fire cider will keep for several months unrefrigerated if stored in a cool pantry. But is better to store in refrigerator if you have room.
    If your immune system is in bad shape, take the tonic more frequently until you are seeing desired results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvUjw9AE7mk

If you by chance recognize Ester's last name, her mother is the late Carla Emery, author of The Encylopedia of Country Living. Here is a vid I saw of her making fire cider a few years back and she speaks highly of it. To be honest I've been hesitant to make it thinking it might be too much heat for my and the families palette.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post

If you by chance recognize Ester's last name, her mother is the late Carla Emery, author of The Encylopedia of Country Living. Here is a vid I saw of her making fire cider a few years back and she speaks highly of it. To be honest I've been hesitant to make it thinking it might be too much heat for my and the families palette.
      I have the book. It is a really great one. Lots of info.

Comment

Thank you for Gladstar's recipe. (I keep threatening to order her book but have not gotten around to it yet.) Will make a batch of Fire Cider soon!

Carla was an amazing lady. Her classic book had humble beginnings as a homemade loose-leaved collection of papers in cheap binders... I remember when she traveled all over the place promoting her book. I think she was in an old station wagon fulla kids and her homemade books, back then. Persistence paid off! Now Carla Emery is a household word. RIP, Ms Emery.

Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

Thanks CountryGuy for the link to the Fire Cider video by Carla's daughter. After watching that, I think I am falling in love with the Fouch family and their Off-Grid adventures: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm2...IUxq1eyqhbivfg.

Comment

Sorry AJ, but when I look at the ingredients I feel like a 5 year old holding his nose when he has to take cough medicine. I don't know if that would even stay down. Those of you who have tried it care to offer an opinion on how it tastes? How does it smell? If I can't get it past my nose I will never swallow it.
            The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Haha! I wondered about that, too...which is why I have never made this famous tonic yet. BUT, after seeing the little children drink it in the video that Country Guy posted (they drank it like they almost liked it)...well, I guess I can give it a shot. If they can do it willingly, I ought to be able to. Especially knowing the incredible healthful benefits of the ingredients....

Comment

I'm with you Morg... I guess if you add enough honey... the vinegar is what might get me. I used to take a tablespoon of raw vinegar each day but after about a month I couldn't force myself. I've never been a big fan of vinegar. But for the benefits it seems to poses I might just have to force it down.

And like you say Grizzlyette if her kids seem to enjoy it, maybe it's just figuring out the right amount of each to your individual palette.

Comment

Come on you guys. Don't be a couple of wimps. You can do this.

Comment

I'm with you Morg... I guess if you add enough honey... the vinegar is what might get me. I used to take a tablespoon of raw vinegar each day but after about a month I couldn't force myself. I've never been a big fan of vinegar. But for the benefits it seems to poses I might just have to force it down.

And like you say Grizzlyette if her kids seem to enjoy it, maybe it's just figuring out the right amount of each to your individual palette.
                    I've never been able to down straight vinegar without water or something else to dilute the acidity, but a spoon full each of vinegar and honey stirred into a tall glass of cool water is so refreshing that it was basis for an old fashioned thirst-quenching drink called hay-maker's punch, or "shrub."

But straight vinegar? Nope, not me.

I think I will add a shot of Fire Cider to a short glass of ice cold V-8 type juice!

Comment

I drink a small glass of vinegar mixed half and half with water. This is the Bragg organic raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar. I have been doing this for a few years on a daily bases. You really do get used to it.

Comment

The Braggs brand of organic raw vinegar is fantastic! I use it for a gazillion things (when I am out of my homemade vinegar, which has been for a while now because I have had too many other "irons in the fire" lately).

Comment

I just used the Heinz unfiltered all natural with mother. I'd planned to try the Braggs when it was gone. Maybe I need to try it in the water and do it more like a shot.

Grizzy I never heard it called shrub but Switchel and Haymakers punch I have. Grandma used to make it sometimes out at the farm when we were out the haying.

Comment

I'm good with the honey. I am a huge proponent of honey; the Viking cure-all. Vinegar, well I guess I will take mine in salad dressing. Straight!! Not a chance. Now Grizzlyette has a great idea doctoring it up in a glass of V-8. I could probably go for that.
                            The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Working...
                            X