No announcement yet.

Basic Lesson Number 160 Review of Trauma Kits

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Community disaster volunteers called (CERT) are trained in search, rescue and immediate first aid for disasters in their local areas. They must join a local certified team and go thru a lot of training to qualify. It is all free and includes a lot of practical applications.

    Another way is volunteer fire departments which are located in a rural/ farming areas of the country like mine in MN. is. They attend fire fighting school become certified by the state then apply to their local firehouse. Most firehouse are multi generations with sons/daughters then serving next to fathers/Mothers, Uncles/Aunts.


    • #17
      I would recommend CERT training or even online FEMA courses (FREE!) over Red cross! Was very active in Red Cross back in the 1960's through the 1990s. Then Lizzy Dole and her "coffee klatch" turned it into a REVENUE GENERATING club and a haven for "social justice warriors". What was once free and available to the very communities who supported it, now is prohibitively expensive, outdated and inadequate. One is better suited to take an EMT or First Responder class through their local community college or volunteer fire/rescue department. Plus one can pay back this training (and get even MORE) by joining the organization and seeing one's efforts go directly to the folks locally needing it!

      During most emergencies, the Red Cross DOES NOT want donations of supplies, materials, skills or logistics! What they DO want is "donations" of MONEY! And they say so in their PSAs!

      Just try sheltering under a Dollar Bill! Or keeping warm with one! Or eating one! And HOW can one BUY what is needed in a disaster zone??? Whereas if you join a CERT team, VFD or Rescue Squad you CAN be of REAL assistance to your fellow neighbor who NEEDS food, shelter and medical care!

      Just a few thoughts from someone who has been doing this since 1966! YMMV


      • #18
        Good info to know. Thanks for the tip on that. I have taken CPR through the red cross but that has been all. That was for my job in medical field. Retired now though.


        • #19
          Usually one can get CPR, Bloodborne Pathogen Control and basic first-aid training as part of the CERT training. And definitely through EMT class! EMT will give you more comprehensive training both in medical and rescue situations. You will learn medical terminology, a LITTLE bit of medicine (diabetes and infection control and poisoning situations for instance), a fair amount of anatomy and physiology along with proper rescue techniques. CERT will give you good SAR training, triage training and first responder training. Usually CPR will be a part of this class as well.


          • #20
            About the earlier idea of using a sof-sided lunch box from Wallyworld, etc.

            (or check the lost and found at any local elementary school? :rolleyes:)

            More seriously, I was going to suggest checking thrift stores/etc. as our local recycling/resale store usually has 6 or a dozen tote bags, or other shoulder-strap-type bags, as well as kids' lunch bags. but one item on my wish list this year is a first aid bag to replace the tackle box(es) (which replaced the plastic coffee container). I'm interested in how a purpose-built F.A.K. bag will compare to the improvised type containers. The improvised have certain things going for them, but aren't perfect.

            Also, I guess you're looking at a certain level of kit--not the larger version for a car or home, but a smaller, wearable one. All the more reason to go with purpose-built version.
            Last edited by Schneb; 12-07-2016, 11:35 PM. Reason: to indicate which earlier post I was responding to
            Been there, done that. Then been there again several times, because apparently I never learn.