Wasp and other stings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasp and other stings

Recently I was stung for the second time in my entire life by a red wasp. The sting itself sort of burned but the aftermath was worse. I had very little swelling but the ache felt like it was in the bone. I was stung the first time about a year ago in the web between my thumb and fore finger. I don't remember it aching like this. This time it was on my knuckle. Both times all sign and pain was gone within 3 or 4 hours. Apparently I'm not allergic to them. However it did make me realize that multiple stings could be debilitating and I have no provision in my first aid kit for stings.

My brother was frequently stung when we were growing up (We played throwing rocks wasp nests) and my Mother usually made a paste of meat tenderizer to put on the stings if no one around had tobacco.

My husband carried Sting-Kill Swabs on the job because he worked outdoors on railroad tracks and bridges and wasps seemed to love the area around tracks and bridges for nests.

So before I fill this gap in my kit I would like some input on the different types of products for stings. I've seen everything from the swabs to wipes to creams.

I've used sting-ez, Benadryl crème, meat tenderizer and ammonia. Prefer sting-ez and Tylenol for any pain. Just glad no one in my family is allergic or that adds a whole new level of medicine needs. Hope you get to feeling better Gran.

Dale
    Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

Thanks Dale, Like I said at the end of 3 or 4 hrs it was like I had never been stung, not even a red spot. Just looking for something to take that first hit of pain down a bit. So I'll get some of each to have on hand. This has been a bad year for red wasps but I all but stuck my hand in the nest both times. I'll just have to be a bit more observant! Been on sort of a "they never bother me" trip for years. I guess they do bother me if i get to close! DUH

Comment

It seemed to be a bad year for wasps here as well. We had to remove several nests from different parts of the house. I was stung, and my wife was stung. I had a very similar type of pain with no mark and no swelling. I was really concerned because I was stung right under the eye. It felt like I had been punched, and it was sore for several days. Sorry, I can't help with pain meds. We just tough it out. We spent a boatload on wasp spray. I was really mad. If it flies it dies. Had four nests to contend with, and they wanted to take over the mailbox. That is the only good part of Winter. There are no bugs.
        The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

In my travels this summer, I was working in a new area on the team. I was involved in the "Safety" department.

We had a regional conference call each morning to see what needs each area had, and who had resources to send them.

During the call, we would talk about anything that was injuring or threatening the men. The item that was MOST prevalent across the pacific north west was the extreme bee and wasp activity. We had single camps that were seeing 40-50 stings in a day.

There is a group studying the increased activity right now to see why the insects were so riled up this year.
          "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Gran, Not medical but still on bees. Learned this a couple years ago. If you have wasp, yellow jackets, etc. nesting some place difficult to spray with can spray. Wait till evening or night (day if you prefer) and wet down around the entrance area with a water hose or just a spray bottle. Then sprinkle the wet area with powder seven dust and it will quickly eliminate the hive.

Dale
            Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

I put the increased population of wasp and other insects in my area down to the fact that we have had almost twice our usual rainfall 60+ inches as apposed to 35 inches thus increasing the food base. However if the Pacific northwest is having the same problem extra rain may not be the problem.
              As the nights cool my usual fall problem of spiders invading the house has started. Not the big wolf or 'garden spiders' but those little ones that make webs in the corners at the ceiling and behind the wardrobe or chest of drawers you don't move. Luckily these are more of a nuisance than dangerous. Plus the granddaddy long legs are starting to show up in force. I only spray the basement and detached garage for spiders a couple times a year. Any insecticide or chemical I use on my place winds up in the pond and that is a food source for ME. Besides the dehumidifier in the basement helps keep the spiders down. The dry air keeps down the food supply and thus the spiders....
              Last edited by ZAGran; 09-28-2015, 01:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I got a aloe vera leaf/pad from someone today.seeing how it's good for diff things.now i need a way to include it in a 1st aid kit.if i can somehow.
                be prepared,be worried,be careful..and watch your 6

Comment

Originally posted by jimLE View Post
                  I got a aloe vera leaf/pad from someone today.seeing how it's good for diff things.now i need a way to include it in a 1st aid kit.if i can somehow.
                  When I was a kid I remember Mom had a piece of aloe vera leaf wrapped in a piece of aluminum foil for years in the medicine cabinet. if someone got a burn, she'd pull it out, snip a bit off the corner and rub the sap on. then she'd wrap it back up and put it away. seemed to have and use it for years. Think it's also edible to help with digestive issues. don't remember if it stops things up or makes things go... I'm thinking a leaf vac sealed in a bag or mylar might be a way to add it to your first aid preps but maybe do a piece and let it on your shelf and in a few months open it up to see how it's keeping. if it's good, seal it back up. Might also be able to vac seal a bunch in a jar?
                  I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

iike the foil idea.unfurcently.i dont have a vac sealer.and unless There's a way to can it.that's out of the question.
                    be prepared,be worried,be careful..and watch your 6

Comment

What I have used for years is remove the stinger it will continue to pump for up to 30 minutes.

Get some meat tenderize and make a small paste that will cover the sting site. keep covered for 2 hours then do so again it will stop any venom left.

Take a benadryl 25 mg of HCI ; it will counter act the venom in the body.

Comment

I was mowing around a fence line two years ago and ran head first into a Bald Faced Hornet's next that was bigger than a basketball..

Ever see a grown man run across the lawn like a screaming little girl?

I got stung about a dozen times.. lips, cheeks, back of neck, both legs, both arms, upper back and one on my hand. Damn that hurt.

Unfortunately for the nest, it met its demise later that evening.. and now I promise my kid a bowl of ice cream for each nest found.

Comment

if a bald face hornet is another name for what we call around here a white face hornet or if it's anything near the same I know you were hurting big time for days if not week or more from those.

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
                            if a bald face hornet is another name for what we call around here a white face hornet or if it's anything near the same I know you were hurting big time for days if not week or more from those.
                            Most of it only hurt for about 2 hours.. the lips hurt for about 4 hours.. By bedtime I was fine.
                            I'm really careful about looking for them now and kill them as soon as I find one. They're not nearly as aggressive as Yellow Jackets when just flying around, but they are larger and a lot meaner when you disturb their nest. Although they prefer to sleep at night, they're also one of the few species that will fly at night.. So don't go killing them in the evening and think you're safe like with yellow jackets..

Best way is to kill them at night but make sure you have a bright light about 50 feet away pointing away from the nest.. if/when they swarm out, they'll attack the light first.

Bald Faced Hornet
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	gallery-identifyyourbee-baldfacedhornet-2-495x270.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	214715

Comment

yep that's the same little bastards...

Comment

Working...
                              X