• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Medical Instructions Number 10 Five Ways To Stop Blood Loss

Basic Medical Instructions Number 10

Five Ways To Stop Blood Loss

Revised from Red Cross Training Guide

1. Seconds count when injury results in blood loss. Here’s what you need to know to stop the bleeding at all costs! Blood loss is one of the most dangerous problems anyone can face during an emergency. Action must be taken immediately in order to stop the bleeding and allow you to get professional medical care. The first step in CPR and assessment of the patient.

2. Here are five steps to take in stopping blood loss.

A. Apply Direct Pressure:

Hold Direct pressure on top of the wound. It is best to have a sterile bandage, but any cloth will do the job. After pressure has been applied for an extended period, you can slowly release pressure to see if the bleeding has stopped. Avoid removing this initial bandage, as it is actively working to stop the bleeding. This is the perfect opportunity to use a dedicated compression bandage such as the Israeli bandage.

B. Apply a Pressure Bandage

Continued bleeding can be an indication to add a dedicated compression bandage, such as an Israeli bandage. Pressure bandages make it easy to cover the wound while maintaining pressure. That way you can continue the assessment of the patient.

C. Add Clotting Agents

If there has been no significant reduction in blood flow to the wound, then the use of a hemostat agent will be helpful. Prepare the treated gauze bandage to the best of your ability while keeping pressure on the wound. Once you are ready, slowly remove the initial pressure bandage, and apply the hemostat agent. Keep pressure on the wound as the agent begins to work in conjunction with your blood. It is important to cover the wound once again and continue to apply pressure.

D. Use A Tourniquet

If possible, the use of a tourniquet is highly recommended at this point. The application of tourniquets is something that should be learned during training under the guidance of experienced instructors. While there are dozens of samples on the internet, it is best to seek out professional instruction beforehand.

E. Get Professional Assistance

The previous methods can buy you some time, but they’re not a final solution. As soon as possible, seek professional medical help to prevent infection, scarring and amputation, and improve your ability to stop bleeding.

Great post RICH. EVERYONE that's a prepper should know trauma first aid and how to stop blood loss. I've had more experience with this than I care to remember. Get to know where the arteries are, especially the femoral arteries as any major groin injury may get these nicked or severed and they can be difficult to stop (helped doc reach in and clamp it off two different times. Not something easily forgotten) with direct pressure and may need direct impingement.

Another method (I don't think Rich mentioned) is cauterization. This should only be used by trained medical personnel or in a life or death remote situation when all other methods have failed. If used on a artery, continue to check for bleeding afterwards as it can break back open.

Dale

Comment

Great post and we all need to know these things. It is extremely important to learn these skills.

Comment

Originally posted by dalewick View Post
        Great post RICH. EVERYONE that's a prepper should know trauma first aid and how to stop blood loss. I've had more experience with this than I care to remember. Get to know where the arteries are, especially the femoral arteries as any major groin injury may get these nicked or severed and they can be difficult to stop (helped doc reach in and clamp it off two different times. Not something easily forgotten) with direct pressure and may need direct impingement.

Another method (I don't think Rich mentioned) is cauterization. This should only be used by trained medical personnel or in a life or death remote situation when all other methods have failed. If used on a artery, continue to check for bleeding afterwards as it can break back open.

Dale

However, cauterization can be used if you are a badass redneck that just cut off your own hand because you were handcuffed to a pipe on a roof and zombies are coming your way.... just put the bloody stump onto a fry cook' s stove and singe away....

Comment

Common lets be real. Where are you going to get a piece of iron and a fire hot enough to get it red hot all within 2 minutes?

Comment

Originally posted by RICHFL View Post
            Common lets be real. Where are you going to get a piece of iron and a fire hot enough to get it red hot all within 2 minutes?
            Probably just me, but I keep these in my kits.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0533.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	188067

The small pocket torches (fancy butane lighters) will also work.

Dale

Comment

I mentioned before, I did experiment with self cauterization on a small scale. I had a skin tag/ wart on the back of my hand.
              And kept tearing it when working on equipment at work. So I got out a raazor knife, lighter and nail. I cut the tag in a hard fast motion. Put a towel on it with pressure. After a bit it,slowed down bleeding. I heated the nail and stuck it in the spot.

My mistake was letting it stay till it cooled. The skin stuck. So when,I pulled it away it ripped open. I heated it a second time, did a quick sear and pulled away. No blood.

Many of us have cutting torches, grills, and Coleman stoves. These can be lit instantly and make a good heat source. I would not go to cauterizing as a first choice, but in a grid down scenario, it is good to know it does work.
              "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Well, it worked on The Walking Dead, so....... that IS where I get all of my medical training from.....

Comment

Originally posted by NRAamy View Post
                  Well, it worked on The Walking Dead, so....... that IS where I get all of my medical training from.....
                  I sincerely hope you put that on your resume.............
                  "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

I will now......

Comment

Remind me to never get admitted to your hospital...

Myakka, out of curiosity, how bad did it scar?
                      I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
                        Remind me to never get admitted to your hospital...

Myakka, out of curiosity, how bad did it scar?

Just call me Nurse Ratchett....

;)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0603150951.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	188073

The paintbrush is pointing at it.

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

That's not your arm ..... not enough fur, and where's the poo that's always matted into it?

Comment

Now now kids lets play n[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X