• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    orangetom1999
    Valued Member

• orangetom1999
    replied
    by Armyjimbo,

A little research and books of knowledge go a long way, The 30.06 case dimensions have been used to create ALOT of other calibers , not even intended ones. Right now I'm working on a SWISS VETTERLI converting it to centerfire from rimfire. While that takes a bit fiddling the other process is making brass to fit the old style compressed BP case dimensions. Lots of taper on the case, long heavy bullet of odd caliber. 300+ grains and .41 in dia. But in Canada as long as I put the rimfire firing pin back in its an antique and not a firearm
    Some years ago I purchased an Enfield Rifle...but not in the well known .303 British Calibration. Mine is an Ishapore Enfield calibrated in .308 Winchester or what is often called NATO 7.62 x 51 mm calibration.

I chose this calibration because around here .308 Winchester is more readily available than .303 British. Also the .308 in like manner to the 30.06 has an abundance of reloading options in powder, primers, and bullet types/weights. It is a reloaders dream.

And of course the military still uses a lot of 7.62 X 51 Calibration.

Nonetheless...when I can I also believe in flexability...options in reloding ..which Is why I taught myself to do some resizing of brass in a pinch/prepping situation.

An interesting book on this topic is titled...

The Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions.
    By
    Don and Judy Donnelly

Very informative..

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Leave a comment:

• Armyjimbo
    Valued Member

• Armyjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    Verily agree....Armyjimbo...

I make 7mm TCU from .223 Cases...

.308 from 30.36 if needed....

also .243 From .308 if needed..

Also 7.7mm Japanese Arisaka from 30.06 cases

It is a good skill to know in a pinch.

You are in the bullseye on parent cases...

Mostly I wanted to know if I could do it...in hard times.

And now I know.

It adds flexibility in hard times....

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Orangetom
    A little research and books of knowledge go a long way, The 30.06 case dimensions have been used to create ALOT of other calibers , not even intended ones. Right now I'm working on a SWISS VETTERLI converting it to centerfire from rimfire. While that takes a bit fiddling the other process is making brass to fit the old style compressed BP case dimensions. Lots of taper on the case, long heavy bullet of odd caliber. 300+ grains and .41 in dia. But in Canada as long as I put the rimfire firing pin back in its an antique and not a firearm

Leave a comment:

• Tugaloo
    Valued Member

• Tugaloo
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2022-01-19_195800.png
Views:	3
Size:	615.0 KB
ID:	222342
    https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/nics_firearm_checks_-_month_year.pdf/view

Although a NICS check does not mean the person actually purchased a firearm; it does imply they did. With so many new owners wanting ammunition for their purchase would generate a situation where demand is greater than supply.
    Last year, we bought a canoe. The shopper in front of us bought an AR and a Berretta 9mm. He asked when the store received ammo; the clerk said Tuesdays and Thursdays.
    I'm in my 70s and I've never bought a new caliber to me firearm without buying a box of ammunition; so I could shoot it.
    With all the problems of today, I understand why so many first time buyers want to have a firearm. When lawless activities are ignored; one would be foolish not to be armed with the skills to use it..

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Sourdough
    Valued Member

• Sourdough
    replied
    The "FUTURE"..........Two company's control "Production and Distribution".
    What the Great Ammunition Shortage Says About Inflation (substack.com)

Leave a comment:

• Tugaloo
    Valued Member

• Tugaloo
    replied
    My favorite is 30-06 to 25-06; shoot them and 25-06AI.

Leave a comment:

• orangetom1999
    Valued Member

• orangetom1999
    replied
    Verily agree....Armyjimbo...

I make 7mm TCU from .223 Cases...

.308 from 30.36 if needed....

also .243 From .308 if needed..

Also 7.7mm Japanese Arisaka from 30.06 cases

It is a good skill to know in a pinch.

You are in the bullseye on parent cases...

Mostly I wanted to know if I could do it...in hard times.

And now I know.

It adds flexibility in hard times....

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Orangetom

Leave a comment:

• Armyjimbo
    Valued Member

• Armyjimbo
    replied
    I hear whats being said. I commonly cheap my 6.5 Grendel ammo. Normally the most expensive part for some calibers is the cases. For Grendel I have taken 7.62x39 cases and swage them and length trim them, now I have 800m rounds for minimal costs. Same with .300 blackout from. 223/5.56. If you know your history of the caliber you want to shoot, you may find the parent case costs way less. The 30.06 case has many cartridges spawned from it, .308. 6.5CM, 7.08, .300 Sav. etc. A bit of time can save $ in the end.

Primers on the other hand, buy cheap seal up stack deep
    Armyjimbo
    Valued Member
    Last edited by Armyjimbo; 01-19-2022, 02:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Garand
    Valued Member

• Garand
    replied
    Gunkid, you are incorrect! Black Powder is a 1.1D Explosive, Propellant is a 1.3C Explosive, depending on the Primer manufacturer they are 1.1B Explosive, Small Arms Ammunition is a 1.4S Explosive, Small Arms Ammunition with a tracer is generally 1.4C explosive. I did spend 35 years of my career, working as an Army Ammunition Technician/EOD and as a Civilian Explosives Technician for a Defense Research Facility while you were in jail.

Leave a comment:

• registror
    Valued Member

• registror
    replied
    Originally posted by 101airborne View Post

Sorry but I must disagree. Black powder is safe enough if handled properly. Gas is explosive if mishandled. Pyrodex and the like may have less "power" than cartrige powder. And BTW pyrodex IS different than black powder. It is far from wasteful as a matter of fact smaller caliber "blackpowder" weapons like the .32 caliber I own doesn't need much more powder than a modern .22 does. Plus I can and have killed small game with it at over 150 yards you couldn't do that with a pellet gun.

Plus using your anology the same thing couls be said about ANY firearm. They all make noise,they all sometimes misfire if not propery maintained, they all corrode if not properly maintained especially using a lot of the cheap imported ammo.

I'll keep my "smoke poles" thank you. I've had them for over 20 years, they work just fine, are easy to maintain, I can make my own powder, cast my own bullets in a pinch and I can melt down and reuse the shot multiple times if need be.
    nothing is corrosive about modern ammo. Modern guns offer rapidfire and can have a silencer. I"ll take a springbow over a muzzleloader, any day. Quiet, no smoke to obscure the target or mark my location, 4x as fast to reload and I can make more "ammo" easily. You aint got a suphur mine in your back yard, so, no, you can't make black powder. handling finished powder is NOT the same thing as granulating black powder in the first place. Static electricity is known to detonate black powder. BP is rated as an explosive, smokeless powder is much safer and is rated merely as a combustible.

Leave a comment:

• RICHFL
    Valued Member

• RICHFL
    replied
    I disagree with one statement made in the initial thread that "you could use ammo as barter".

If we were down to SHTF and using barter to procure items: Why oh why would you trade away ammo to someone who may/will use it on you?

I would never trade ammo to anyone other then family. Enough said about that subject.

Leave a comment:

• Hummer
    Valued Member

• Hummer
    replied
    I have a friend in Atlanta area and he got the tooling to make 22 bullets from 22LR fired cases but he couldn't find enough cases. I was at the National Championships and got him about 20,000 empty cases and shipped them to him. Now he has something to do for years.

http://www.survivalmagazine.org/surv...ion-March-2016

Leave a comment:

• herk7769
    Valued Member

• herk7769
    replied
    Originally posted by SemperRogue View Post
    I think it was one of the NRA magazines that had the process of using used .22 shell, forming the latter into a .224 caliber 'shell' and pouring lead into the cavity.
    Had a link to a great YouTube video but I am too young yet to link it. Corbin sells the dies to swage 223 bullets from lead wire and 22LR brass. "www . corbins . com / prrfjm.htm" obviously a work around.
    herk7769
    Valued Member
    Last edited by herk7769; 11-18-2013, 08:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rhode
    replied
    if shtf, so many will die, so quickly, that there will be tons of stuff lying around to be picked up, to include guns and ammo. The game will be gone and there will be so few survivors that running out of ammo is a very unlikelly issue. You will be free to make and install a a sound suppressor on your .22 autorifle, since no laws will matter. There's billions and billons of rds of 22lr made and imported here every year. Can you imagine the advantage of having such a rifle, when everyone else has nothing more than a pellet gun, bow, xbow, or muzzleloader? :-) Making black powder that is good enough for grenades and bombs is simple, but granualting it so that it will burn (relatively)effiently in a rifle is far more dangerous. You can sound suppress a modern gun, but blackpowder will almost instantly ruin a sound suppresors effectviveness, due to the fouling becoming an insulator of heat. If shtf, there will be plenty of .22lr left to be found, traded, etc, and there's no reason (in "normal times") for yoiu not to have 5-10 rds of it already cached. It does need to be keep in GI ammo cans, tho, because it absorbs moisture from the air and goes bad.
    Last edited by rhode; 05-02-2013, 11:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Curdog
    Valued Member

• Curdog
    replied
    That is a very good book- I have a first edition of it.

Leave a comment:

• dalewick
    Valued Member

• dalewick
    replied
    This is actually not as complicated as many may think. You do need some basic chemistry for making nitrocellulose/gun cotton and making the one of several compounds for primers. These are skills all preppers should develope anyway as they can be transfered over to other areas, such as medicine, water treatment, improvised explosives, etc. With basic knowledge and some cached supplies (or knowing where to get them) like nitric acid, sulphuric acid and you can research the rest yourselves. Also remember after a major SHTF, many of the chemicals will be easily accessable in abandonded facilities. Learning to scrounge (how, where, and for what) are also skills necessary for a prepared prepper.

Ammunition, smoke grenades, explosives (for stumps and such) are all relatively easy to make. Just be prepared.

Dale

Leave a comment:

Working...
X