X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by ridgid1 View Post
    Im Am Also Very Interested... Im Going To Be Starting From Scratch Soon Also.....

What calibre are you going to start with?

Leave a comment:

• ridgid1
    replied
    Im Am Also Very Interested... Im Going To Be Starting From Scratch Soon Also.....

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Does anyone have anything reloading related that I can do a pictorial how to infomercial about? I will have some free time next week and will be bored out of my skull.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronald_THM View Post
    the brass is pretty much a mixed bag of reeally old stuff (surplus and stuff pop has had for years) new factory ammo and new brass i got from the gun show. we are going to keep an eye on all of it(its pretty much the old stuff that flares).

One thing i have noticed also is that when some brass ejects it goes to the right, some to the left and others go almost straight up. Its not really a big deal just something I have noticed.

thanks.
    M-1's spit brass everywhere. Nothing concerning there. My guess would be, without being able to inspect the rounds, it that you have some of the old corrosive stuff that has weakened the brass. Just a guess. I would be careful shooting it. But, it should be ok.

Leave a comment:

• Ronald_THM
    replied
    the brass is pretty much a mixed bag of reeally old stuff (surplus and stuff pop has had for years) new factory ammo and new brass i got from the gun show. we are going to keep an eye on all of it(its pretty much the old stuff that flares).

One thing i have noticed also is that when some brass ejects it goes to the right, some to the left and others go almost straight up. Its not really a big deal just something I have noticed.

thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    I went ahead and packaged a few rounds in my new Ziplock Vacuum bags to see how well the bags hold up.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronald_THM View Post
    I have started reloading .30 carbine rounds and have a couple quick questions....

1. i have noticed that some of my brass sort of flares out about 1/4 ince from the bottom any idea what causes this? i havnt seen it in any other brass my grandfather and i have used (the reloaded ammo works fine BTW)

2. How many times could you reload 30 carbine brass, if you use standard pressure loads and go by the book. Just wondering because after awhile some of the brass starts looking kind of gnarly.

thanks.

The flare outs is usually the result of crappy brass. What is the headstamp? A lot of the foreign made stuff has quality issues.

I reload mine pretty light. And, I am sure I am not doing something right, but I reload em till either the primer pocket will no longer hold a primer because the pocket is worn out, or they crack. Usually at the mouth. The mouth usually cracks first because you are belling out and crimping the brass. This causes stretching and compression, weakening the integrety of the brass.

Also, on the flare outs. If this is older, factory loaded ammo with a non-standard headstamp, it could have been loaded with corrosive primers or powder. These will often eat holes in the brass.

Hope that helps.

Leave a comment:

• Ronald_THM
    replied
    I have started reloading .30 carbine rounds and have a couple quick questions....

1. i have noticed that some of my brass sort of flares out about 1/4 ince from the bottom any idea what causes this? i havnt seen it in any other brass my grandfather and i have used (the reloaded ammo works fine BTW)

2. How many times could you reload 30 carbine brass, if you use standard pressure loads and go by the book. Just wondering because after awhile some of the brass starts looking kind of gnarly.

thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Anyone have anything they want me to cover? I left out lots of stuff like trimming brass, neck sizing of bottle necked cases, removing the crimp off military brass. I am open. All reloading related suggestions will be reviewed and the ones that are plausable will be posted with photos.
    Last edited by Rustyshakelford; 12-11-2008, 11:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Comments? Suggestions? I will work on loading the 7.62 x 39 next week.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    You are finished!!! Enjoy. I am going to go relax for the evening. I would say clean up the mess, but heck, I will later.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Now, I must admit I cheated a bit. I used a powder mearurer for pistol and carbine loads. Basically what it is, is a device that dumps out a pre set amount of powder. I check it every 20 loads or so to make sure it is calibrated. I suggest you buy one if you are going to load a lot. It also has a built in funnel type device on the bottom so you do not have to use a funnel.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    The final step is the easy part. You will need that final die that has not been used. THis die will seat the bullet and crimp the bell around the slug to hold it in place. We have determined that we will use 14 grains of H110 powder. Zero whatever scale you are using, and measure out the powder 1 load at a time. You will use the funnel to direct the powder into the case. Make sure to not double charge, and do not over crimp the brass onto the slug. This is the final step. You now have loaded ready to fire ammo.

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Tonight, we will toss powder into the cases and seat the bullets. Should finish it up, and I can go back to reloading in one evening instead of over 7 days. :D

Leave a comment:

• Rustyshakelford
    replied
    Since I am now done for the evening, I can partake of a well deserved adult beverage and a Marlboro.

Last edited by Rustyshakelford; 12-09-2008, 06:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X