No announcement yet.

Best all around concealed weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best concealed handgun IMO, is a snubby .357 revolver. You have no malfunctions. Supreme accuracy from a carry gun, and some can be had that are extremely light. They are especialy good if you dont practice alot, for whatever reason. In an emergency, all you have to do is pull the trigger. I carry a Springer 1911, because thats what I am most used to. And what Ive carried for 10 years. On and off duty. If I were to carry another pistol, it would definitly be a quality, snubby .357. A Ruger SP101, Or S&W model 66. Something along those lined.

Comment

If you are looking for a general CCW weapon, then the sky is the limit. Depending on your budget, you can carry anything that you can hide on your body, but if you are looking for SHTF gun to keep with you in a bad situation then you really need something that will go bang each and every time you pull the trigger, something that will work with minimal maintenance, something that has readily available parts, magazines, and ammo. When you ask what the best all around CCW weapon is, it is like asking what is the best car, you will get plenty of different answers, and they will most all be based on the individuals opinions.
      I have been carrying concealed since I was 21 years old (now 35) and in those years I have carried about every design you can imaging; revolvers, double action semi-autos, DAO semi-autos, single action semi-autos, safe action semi-autos, etc, etc, etc. And I have carried so many different size handguns that I have lost count. Since I have been carrying, I have become an NRA Instructor, Virginia CCW Instructor, NRA Training Counselor, and I currently work personal protection for a very high risk client. Through my training and work experience I have settled on one favorite that fits the above criteria (easily maintained, readily available parts, etc) and that is the Glock 19, here is why;
      It is small enough that it is EASILY carried concealed and it is large enough that it can be carried as a duty weapon (or carried on MOLLE gear, SHTF gear, etc) I have a 2nd Gen Glock 19 that is my favorite of the model 19s I own. the gun has tens of thousands of rounds through it, and i have NEVER had ONE SINGLE malfunction! Parts are literally everywhere, and are very inexpensive. Magazines are abundant and every gun store carries them. If I want to work on my Glock, I can do it at home or in the field with ONE tool, that's right, one tool! If I want to change the trigger pull, it is a 2 minute job to make it lighter, heavier, smoother, etc. When it comes to maintenance, I have a friend of mine who has a Glock19, and purposely did not clean it for one year, and shot it a minimum of once a week. After the year, he stripped it, spent about 15 minutes cleaning it, and it was back to new. In the time he did not clean it, NO malfunctions at all. Accuracy? Well, the gun is far more accurate that most people can shoot it. I can empty a 15 round magazine into a standard IDPA target at 100 yards and get each shot into the target with no problems. I invite my students to do the same, and they are all amazed at the accuracy of the G19 at that distance.
      I have owned everything from Model 10 revolvers, to a Springfield TRP (still own) that cost me over $1100.00 and I would not trade my old 2nd Gen 19 for ANY of them or any gun on the market!
      Do some research, read up on the Glock torture tests that are out there, do a google search for Chuck Taylor Glock 17 and read about the torture testing he has done to his G17 (that now has way over 100,000 rounds through it)
      Hope this helped some!

Comment

When it comes to recommending firearms to someone over the internet I'm generally hesitant. As far as all firearms are concerned (both rifle and handguns) there is no "Jack of All Trades". Most are master of none. When it comes to CCW type firearms this is especially so. The old saying "One Size Fits All" DOES NOT WORK. The most important thing concerning CCW firearms is selecting the right one for you and your individual needs. This may differ believe it or not for some individuals (ie Security/Law Enforcement Personnel). Afterwards one must maintain a high level of proficiency to properly use them and avoiding/provoking situations and circumstances which may cause you to use them.

Reasons I don't like making internet recommendations for firearms, especially the CCW type is you do not have enough info on the person to make an informative opinion by which to draw conclusion on several possible candidate firearm recommendations. After all it's the owner of the firearm that needs to be content and competent with it. Not the individual making the recommendation.

Evaluation criteria:
        Is the person a novice or experienced shooter? Has he or she ever fired a gun?
        Does the person have average, large or in the case of some ladies very small hands?
        Does the person really have both the skills and strength to effectively handle the firearm or a particular firearm with a level of proficiency to properly defend themselves (Selection matters).
        Were does the person intend or want to carry the firearm on their person?
        What type of clothing will the individual be wearing to conceal the firearm?
        Can the individual effectively draw the firearm from where they intend to carry it with the clothing they are wearing?
        Can the individual properly maintain the firearm effectively (Level of Complexity).

In the case of Glock Firearms for example. Jake Gallows was mostly spot on with his opinion of Glocks and their reliability. Excluding there performance in the torture test, they are indeed very reliable and robust to a certain extent. They do have their own particular flaws and drawbacks as any firearm does. Some of these are easily fixed while others are integral to the design of the firearm. However concerning the G-19 2nd generation Glock, I have to go back to the old saying "One Size fits all"? In this case no. 2nd generation Glocks differ from their predecessors in that the grip incorporates integral finger grooves. While some find them comfortable, many individuals do not. They complain that the finger groove spacing is to short or inadequate for them to achieve that all-important comfortable or secure grip. This will hamper the shooters handling of the firearm as well as detrimentally affect their accuracy. Individuals with larger hands and ladies with small hands being most affected.

Jake Gallows has obviously found what works for him and his individual requirements. Everyone here needs to find what works for them and their particular needs; regardless of anyone elses opinions or favorites. Good Luck.:)

BTW Jake Gallows welcome to the forum.:)
        Last edited by Bayou Blaster; 07-07-2009, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake-Gallows View Post
          If you are looking for a general CCW weapon, then the sky is the limit. Depending on your budget, you can carry anything that you can hide on your body, but if you are looking for SHTF gun to keep with you in a bad situation then you really need something that will go bang each and every time you pull the trigger, something that will work with minimal maintenance, something that has readily available parts, magazines, and ammo. When you ask what the best all around CCW weapon is, it is like asking what is the best car, you will get plenty of different answers, and they will most all be based on the individuals opinions.
          I have been carrying concealed since I was 21 years old (now 35) and in those years I have carried about every design you can imaging; revolvers, double action semi-autos, DAO semi-autos, single action semi-autos, safe action semi-autos, etc, etc, etc. And I have carried so many different size handguns that I have lost count. Since I have been carrying, I have become an NRA Instructor, Virginia CCW Instructor, NRA Training Counselor, and I currently work personal protection for a very high risk client. Through my training and work experience I have settled on one favorite that fits the above criteria (easily maintained, readily available parts, etc) and that is the Glock 19, here is why;
          It is small enough that it is EASILY carried concealed and it is large enough that it can be carried as a duty weapon (or carried on MOLLE gear, SHTF gear, etc) I have a 2nd Gen Glock 19 that is my favorite of the model 19s I own. the gun has tens of thousands of rounds through it, and i have NEVER had ONE SINGLE malfunction! Parts are literally everywhere, and are very inexpensive. Magazines are abundant and every gun store carries them. If I want to work on my Glock, I can do it at home or in the field with ONE tool, that's right, one tool! If I want to change the trigger pull, it is a 2 minute job to make it lighter, heavier, smoother, etc. When it comes to maintenance, I have a friend of mine who has a Glock19, and purposely did not clean it for one year, and shot it a minimum of once a week. After the year, he stripped it, spent about 15 minutes cleaning it, and it was back to new. In the time he did not clean it, NO malfunctions at all. Accuracy? Well, the gun is far more accurate that most people can shoot it. I can empty a 15 round magazine into a standard IDPA target at 100 yards and get each shot into the target with no problems. I invite my students to do the same, and they are all amazed at the accuracy of the G19 at that distance.
          I have owned everything from Model 10 revolvers, to a Springfield TRP (still own) that cost me over $1100.00 and I would not trade my old 2nd Gen 19 for ANY of them or any gun on the market!
          Do some research, read up on the Glock torture tests that are out there, do a google search for Chuck Taylor Glock 17 and read about the torture testing he has done to his G17 (that now has way over 100,000 rounds through it)
          Hope this helped some!
          Until a few weeks ago, I have many many thousands of rounds through various glock pistols and had never had a malfunction. My brand new glock 36 had two failures in the first 6 rounds. Bad extractor, had no lip to grab the cartridge. Put in new extractor and its fine now. Even glocks should be tested. Prior to this I would have thought every one was rock solid reliable out of the box.

I already posted, I have several carry guns. the P32, the S&W 442, and now I retired the AMT for the Glock 36. These are all concealed carry guns. For open carry I have more options but none are suitable to conceal for me (FN FiveSeven, Taurus PT1911, Glock 17 are all great but hard for me to conceal on my body, great for off body carry though)
          My weapon can kill, it isn't limited to mere assault

Comment

Jake Gallows/Bayou Blaster,

Excellent, food for thought guys.. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on the smaller personal protection tools available. I was not aware of many aspects of the trigger adjustability on the Glock19/2G. The one tool thing is great also.
            Waitnc

Comment

Glock Trigger Adustability

Originally posted by waitnc View Post
              Jake Gallows/Bayou Blaster,

Excellent, food for thought guys.. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on the smaller personal protection tools available. I was not aware of many aspects of the trigger adjustability on the Glock19/2G. The one tool thing is great also.
              Waitnc

The Glock armorers tool is nothing more than a non-tapered 2 inch long 3/32 drift.

Glock triggers from the factory have a 1/2 inch of travel and a 5.5 lb trigger connector. The trigger connector can be replace with a 3.5 connector to lighten the trigger considerably. This connector can be identified by a minus symbol stamped on it. Additionally you can increase the weight of the trigger with the NYPD trigger mechanisms:

N.Y.1 The GLOCK „New York“ trigger has its name from the New York Police Department. It facilitates officers changing from revolvers to pistols. Increases trigger pull weight from 2,5 kg / 5.5 lb. to 4,9 kg / 11 lb.

N.Y.2 The N.Y.2 trigger spring is even harder than the N.Y.1 trigger spring. The user will obtain a continuous very hard revolver-like increase of the trigger pull weight from 3,2 kg / 7 lb. to 5 kg / 11 lb.

These New York triggers serve their purpose but are horrible and I truly believe they hamper the shooters ability to fire the firearm accurately.

As a certified Glock Armorer and Journeyman Gunsmith, I strongly recommend that you take the armorers course before you attempt anything besides basic cleaning of your Glock firearm. I have seen one too many "No-It-Alls" bring their firearms to me after they tried to beat the day lights out of the frame pins in order to take the frame apart to replace a trigger. Or they bring me the firearm in pieces parts because they can't get it back together or the firearm is not working after they mettled with it. Believe it or not there is a right and wrong way to remove the take-down pins. Older model Glocks are of a two pin design while 2nd generation Glocks are a three pin design. Don't be fooled by the one tool allure. Get the training or have some that is certified do the work for you. A certified Glock armorer will also be able to identify if there are any problems/defects with your firearm that you may have overlooked or can't see do to lack of training.

Comment

Originally posted by cwconnertx View Post
                Until a few weeks ago, I have many many thousands of rounds through various glock pistols and had never had a malfunction. My brand new glock 36 had two failures in the first 6 rounds. Bad extractor, had no lip to grab the cartridge. Put in new extractor and its fine now. Even glocks should be tested. Prior to this I would have thought every one was rock solid reliable out of the box.

I already posted, I have several carry guns. the P32, the S&W 442, and now I retired the AMT for the Glock 36. These are all concealed carry guns. For open carry I have more options but none are suitable to conceal for me (FN FiveSeven, Taurus PT1911, Glock 17 are all great but hard for me to conceal on my body, great for off body carry though)
                Anything man-made can fail, there is no such thing as PERFECT. I owned a G36 for a while, liked it, but for about the same size, I could go with a G26 or a G19 and have more than double the rounds in either pistol. I really don't get into the caliber fights, because as long as you are using a proven fight stopping caliber, pistol, and round..and you do your part, the rest will work too (not 100% of the time, but what does)
                I am a Glock armorer, and have done lots of inspections on pistols for civilians and police officers, normally there is nothing to replace, or nothing broke, so I just replace springs and pins on a schedule, just preventative maintenance

Comment

I now carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II 45 or a H&K USP Compact 45. I use to carry a Springfields Arms XD 40.
                  "Moderation is the secret of survival"

Comment

Kel-Tec PF9 is my CC....found it at local Pawn/Gun in Mooresville... great price too.

Also wife carries a Walther PPS 9mm

Also have a Taurus PT92 thats 25 years old and has lots and lots of rounds thru it, but too big for a compact carry...

Mosa00

Comment

I LOVE the Kimber Custom CDP II as a carry gun. But, I think that "The Judge" is the new ultimate carry. You can shoot .45 Colt and 410 shotgun rounds. You can mix the load and start with a 410 and follow up with a .45 Colt. It is a revolver, so it is the ONLY handgun guaranteed to go bang EVERY time you pull the trigger. I know a lot will argue that a semi-auto is very reliable, and you are right. But, they do not go BANG 100% of the time, period. Add a couple speed loaders and you have a good amount of ammo on tap, besides, a revolver is a lot faster to load loose rounds into.

Comment

Avking,

I respectfully disagree on the "Judge" as being the ultimate carry. It's too large and cumbersome and the .410 rounds are hardly adequate for self defense. It does make a good snake gun though... As far as .45 LC, that should do fine for self defense but from what I've seen and heard, the Judge isn't all that accurate. In my honest opinion, people should use what they are familiar with and stick to it. Any decent quality handgun, in the hands of someone who's proficient with it, is far more effective than an top shelf high dollar gun in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they're doing.... To each their own. I personally carry several different guns and shoot all the time, so it just depends day to day for me.
                        Wolverines!!!:D

Comment

Originally posted by ryantx23 View Post
                          Avking,

I respectfully disagree on the "Judge" as being the ultimate carry. It's too large and cumbersome and the .410 rounds are hardly adequate for self defense. It does make a good snake gun though... As far as .45 LC, that should do fine for self defense but from what I've seen and heard, the Judge isn't all that accurate. In my honest opinion, people should use what they are familiar with and stick to it. Any decent quality handgun, in the hands of someone who's proficient with it, is far more effective than an top shelf high dollar gun in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they're doing.... To each their own. I personally carry several different guns and shoot all the time, so it just depends day to day for me.
                          At 29oz and it's physical size, I don't see how it is to large. Smaller and lighter than a 1911 and many of us carry those. As far as being adequate, a 410 load at 12 to 15 feet would be devastating to an attacker.

IMHO, the average (key word average) person that will carry or wants to carry, has little to no real world under stress shooting experience. Shooting a 410 at 12 to 15 feet provides a significant advantage, as you do not have to shoot dead on to hit the target. A second round as a .45LC will put anyone down permanently. I also think it is the ultimate night stand gun.

Now, I do not want to carry it, but I feel very confident and have experience fighting under pressure and under fire.

Comment

Love those XD's!! Have bought around 4 of them! Love em to bits.

Comment

I interpreted "Best all around concealed weapon" to be a handgun chambered in a caliber generally accepted as being sufficient for self defense,(against 2 legged varmints) yet small enough to be carried inconspicously in clothing suitable for all weather conditions/ seasons. Any of the small 9mm's gets my vote, choose your own brand, but Glock, Kahr, Keltec and others make nines that are only a tad bigger than those pocket size .380's
                              I know there are plenty of us who live in areas where if you are walking around and dont have somethng that will deter a feral hog or a bear you are under-gunned.
                              I will say that everytime i'm walking through the tall grass down around the pond, my mind turns to the "Judge":) The cost of .410 buck would add up though.
                              CTHULHU/Dagon 2012

Comment

Ahh GrassHopper the best concealed weapon you have is your mind and body!
                                In my case that weapon is so well concealed I need real weapons to defend it!
                                I have 4 favorites;
                                a 45 1911 (because there is no 46)
                                Virtually any Glock
                                A small Colt or S&W DA 357mag (or larger)
                                one of several high quality 22Lr or 380 belly blasters
                                one or more edged 'tools'
                                not all at once of course but at least 2.
                                The road to serfdom is paved with free electric golf carts.

Comment

Working...
                                X