Why isn't there a section on RIFLES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why isn't there a section on RIFLES

Just wondering why there isn't a thread on RIFLES? For survival applications there are more reliable systems than the AR and AK.

There are also more effective rounds and load possibilities.
    Distinguished Rifleman High Power , Distinguished Rifleman Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), Palma Teams Member (2), Dewar Teams Member (2), Member 4 Man National Championship Smallbore AnySight Team, Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Proving Ground , Eagle Scout, AC4HT, NRA Benefactor Member, Firefighter I, Shriner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol I had sent up a similiar question regarding shotguns. With the influx of folks and new ideas building, you will probably see several new tabs popping up.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Originally posted by Hummer View Post
      Just wondering why there isn't a thread on RIFLES? For survival applications there are more reliable systems than the AR and AK.

There are also more effective rounds and load possibilities.
      PM the admin. I suspect that if we were to create a sub forum for each and every specific interest we'd have an unnavigable maze.

Start a rifle thread on the concerns you mentioned, you'll get some attention.

O.W.
      Things are seldom what they seem.

Comment

There are a number of considerations to be made when selecting a survival rifle. As well there are considerations when selecting shotguns. Some designs will hold up longer than others in adverse conditions.

The AR is a very limited use application unless you are armpit deep in walkers and zombies it has issues one needs to consider in long term survival applications or you may well find yourself with ammo and no way to use it.

For instance I personally would require that a rifle as carried would be capable of engaging a six inch target at 300 yards and hitting it reliably and still retain enough energy to affect deep penetration. Ideally it would be able to engage, hit and put down an adversary at 600 yards which would require a rifle that will print within 12".

In short be effective with one shot as in a SHTF situation you are not going to have Walmart etc to run to for another box and you are not going to have access to the parts that fail or are easily lost from some weapons systems that will completely disable them for operational use.
        Last edited by Hummer; 03-28-2012, 10:41 AM.
        Distinguished Rifleman High Power , Distinguished Rifleman Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), Palma Teams Member (2), Dewar Teams Member (2), Member 4 Man National Championship Smallbore AnySight Team, Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Proving Ground , Eagle Scout, AC4HT, NRA Benefactor Member, Firefighter I, Shriner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

We could spend days on this subject; every military, law enforcement, Hunter, and outdoors-man has their personal ideas about firearms. Most have strong feelings about the subject. I'm afraid to say most people with any experience, will stand very strongly and express themselves in that manner.

If you want to talk about firearms we have a section for that. If you have specific questions, and suggestions express them. BUT, expect to get shouted down from all sides when you do. Good Luck.

PS: I spent 21 years in USMC, and 7 years as a Deputy Sheriff in Florida. So I have some idea of what I am talking about.

Comment

Having a place where you can talk about long guns and another for shotguns.
            Thank you for your service USMC...
            Learning what works and what doesn't,
            This would help out some that are not into AK and AR types of rifles...
            Make a firearms section with subtopics rifle, pistol, black powder, and shotgun. Each have their own area of use in the survival world or prepping world. Some folks have no idea about different guns or there use......
            23 years as a County Deputy Firearms Instructor 15 years and armorer, 5 years military, CCW instructor, and have years in sport shooting USPSA, IDPA, so a few years in the shooting world.

Comment

Start a thread for either one or both under the firearms heading and I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses. Many of us here are prior military, LEO or both. Many choose the AR or AK platforms due to familiarity or cost. Some have an AR/AK, snipers rifle, 22lr rifle, pistols, crossbow and bows. I even have a backup atlatl and can make my own spears, including knapping points, for a backup. This site can be a wealth of information. Good luck.

Dale

Comment

Weapons are a very small part of any survival plan. More important is the location you plan to stay at. All weapons are good for is hunting ans security.. You cannot eat one or drink from one. all it is good for is having bullets coming out one end and gathering dust.

There is so much more needed.

Like:

Where will you get a secure water source that will provide enough water to survive on?

Where will you get the 3000 calories a day needed to support yourself and family members to survive on?

What survival skills does your group have? Medical, farming, construction, security, animal husbandry, etc.

How many people in your group? What is each prepared to bring with them when the time is right.

Comment

Originally posted by RICHFL View Post
                  Weapons are a very small part of any survival plan. More important is the location you plan to stay at. All weapons are good for is hunting ans security.. You cannot eat one or drink from one. all it is good for is having bullets coming out one end and gathering dust.

There is so much more needed.

Like:

Where will you get a secure water source that will provide enough water to survive on?

Where will you get the 3000 calories a day needed to support yourself and family members to survive on?

What survival skills does your group have? Medical, farming, construction, security, animal husbandry, etc.

How many people in your group? What is each prepared to bring with them when the time is right.

Once you get all that, without feeling the need for firearms, it will all be gone, and you with it.

In a utopian world one could survive without firearms. Perhaps one could even survive in the wilderness without firearms if other means of supply and defense were available, but in our modern world one can barely survive without them in the absence of major disaster. when things start falling apart they are an absolute necessity.

Comment

I agree with the OP and have lamented the same since the forum's induction...xD

There should be firearm sub-forums for long rifles, air-powered and shotguns so that everyone who isn't a fan/owner of the AR or AK can enjoy specific discussions without getting lost in the mix...
                    "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

Comment

What do you guys think this is a fricking Democracy here or something? ;)

I'll consider it , but what's wrong with simply posting in the main firearms section?

If I did long guns next think people would want sections for modern, antiques, shotguns, etc etc

State your case as to why we need a separate long guns section, and go
                      WHAT IF THE AMERICA YOU KNEW, WAS ABOUT TO CHANGE?

The best thing you can do to support the site is pass it on to your friends and fav sites like other forums, facebook, twitter etc. Let people know about us! :)

Comment

For the same reason we have separate AR and AK sections...specificity...

A long gun is a long gun, new or old...but it's not a 'black gun'...same for air and shotguns.

It's not gonna hurt the flow of the firearms section to add two or three subs alongside the two already dedicated to carbines, eh?

While yer at it, you might consider another forum for archery...we have alot of bow aficionados with no forum of their own...

I'd be willing to bet that adding these would clear the water a great deal in the more general discussion forums.
                        "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

Comment

Allrighty Noted :)
                          WHAT IF THE AMERICA YOU KNEW, WAS ABOUT TO CHANGE?

The best thing you can do to support the site is pass it on to your friends and fav sites like other forums, facebook, twitter etc. Let people know about us! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel View Post
                            What do you guys think this is a fricking Democracy here or something? ;)

I'll consider it , but what's wrong with simply posting in the main firearms section?

If I did long guns next think people would want sections for modern, antiques, shotguns, etc etc

State your case as to why we need a separate long guns section, and go
                            I'd like to see a section on "Blow guns" or "spears". :p

- Buggy
                            I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

Ummm and whip-chains, nunchucks, three section staffs, ummmmmmm nevermind......
                              "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X