No announcement yet.

.22 LR question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've shot prarie dogs at 100 yards with regularity using my Marlin .22.

Comment

According to the link below 300 yards is the maximum effective range of a .22lr.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...504301&fpart=1

Comment

I have shot a lot of 22 LR over the years and carry a 10 / 22 in my truck all the time with a 3x9x40 scope on it . I can shoot fairly accurately out to 250 yards but that requires that you keep the gun clean and use good ammo not the cheap stuff . I like CCI maximag +V solid tip copper coated bullets . Robert W
        Democracy Will Cease To Exist When You Take Away From Those Who Are Willing To Work And Give to Those Who Are Not.-Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I squirrel hunt with MK2 ruger lots of fun and I can hit them out to about 60 yards fairly often
          NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO

Comment

When I was a teenager and in my early 20's I use to shoot between 500 to 1000 rounds a week in one 22 or another . OH for the days when you could buy a brick of 22's for $7-10 bucks .
            Robert W
            Democracy Will Cease To Exist When You Take Away From Those Who Are Willing To Work And Give to Those Who Are Not.-Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Well I remember reading on one forum about a shooter who was shooting frozen, then thawed, turkeys at 300 yards and farther to judge what various .22 LR shells would do, but while it may have gone in one side of a hollow turkey and out the other, I would not consider a .22 LR a 300 yard killer.

With a good, accurate .22 LR, it is quite possible to hit beer cans at 300 yards if the wind is right and you know what you are doing. I have shot .22s at things that were easily 600 yards away, and as I could see the hits, "walked" the bullets where I wanted them. I might not have done much damage to a human, but I bet he wouldn't be sticking his head up either.

A guy I know who farms regularly kills deer with a .22 Mag. I said a .22 mag isn't a great deer rifle, and he said he killed 49 deer with 50 shots, so he should know what he is talking about. Of course he picks his shots and is never over 50 yards away too.

Comment

Originally posted by Legion489 View Post
                Well I remember reading on one forum about a shooter who was shooting frozen, then thawed, turkeys at 300 yards and farther to judge what various .22 LR shells would do, but while it may have gone in one side of a hollow turkey and out the other, I would not consider a .22 LR a 300 yard killer.

With a good, accurate .22 LR, it is quite possible to hit beer cans at 300 yards if the wind is right and you know what you are doing. I have shot .22s at things that were easily 600 yards away, and as I could see the hits, "walked" the bullets where I wanted them. I might not have done much damage to a human, but I bet he wouldn't be sticking his head up either.

A guy I know who farms regularly kills deer with a .22 Mag. I said a .22 mag isn't a great deer rifle, and he said he killed 49 deer with 50 shots, so he should know what he is talking about. Of course he picks his shots and is never over 50 yards away too.
                If you farm much as Your friend dose and as I do you will be taking shots a lot ferther than 50 yards . It wont take long till deer hear or see you that close and know what is about to happen so you find yourself taking longer and longer shots . I really can kill deer with my 22LR out to 250 yards but like I said I buy good ammo andits not in haevy wind or rain and I practice a lot . But the 22 LR round is capable of doing far more damage than most people think it can .
                Robert W

Comment

I consider any .22 shot at 100 yards to be at the right at the limit ballistically for taking game. While you can shoot further the energy really falls off after 100 yards.

Comment

I'm sorry but you guys are not trying to tell me your hitting cans past 100 yds with a 22rf. watching the average shooters at the range most cannot hit a 3 inch bullseye at 50 feet.
                    Standard wisdom calls a 22rf rifle is 50 yard max, pistols rarely 50 feet.
                    Last edited by myakka; 02-10-2014, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch106 View Post
                      I'm sorry but you guys are not trying to tell me your hitting cans past 100 yds with a 22rf. watching the average shooters at the range most cannot hit a 3 inch bullseye at 50 feet.
                      Standard wisdom calls a 22rf rifle is 50 yard max, pistols rarely 50 feet.
                      I would question the over 100 yard thing myself. Maybe in .22 Mag, but just barely.

I have softened with the lethality of a .22 LR during the last few years. It pokes holes in things at short to medium ranges. Will it stop the battle? Probably not. Is it better than throwing rocks - Yes! I know some people just can't afford to equip themselves with a modern day battle rifle. If it's a .22 they can afford, then... by all means use it for self-defense.

IMHO

-Buggy
                      I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

100 yds+ is too far to expect much in the way of penetration or tissue damage with a .22, but hitting soda cans, with a rifle? That's nothing much, at 150 yds, with a scope, a braced firing position, and either having sighted in at the longer range, or having a mark to aim at, high enough above the target to allow for drop, etc. It's just a question of how many shots it takes to get the hits, that's all. A good man, already zeroed, and a windless day, can hit more cans than he'll miss, at 150 yds. All that's required, really, is 3"x4" groups at that range. Not hard to deliver.

Comment

For small game I keep shots under 50 yards,
                          My small game is almost all squirrels and occasionally a sitting rabbit.
                          Ohio squirrel season comes in way too early in my opinion, around Sept. 1st
                          and I'm archery hunting deer.
                          The leaves are thick at that time of year and it's hard to even see squirrels much
                          less get a shot.
                          October is a bit better.
                          Most of the shots I get at squirrels are under 30 yards.
                          Sub sonic .22 l.r. h.p. ammo is my choice.
                          It's quiet in the woods and doesn't run squirrels off into the next woods.
                          For shotguns on squirrels I prefer a 28 gauge full choke 870.
                          Sadly I don't have one any longer but am shopping for one.

https://www.remington.com/shotguns/p...el-870-express

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/636308244
                          So may toys, so little money!

Comment

I also like using sub-sonic ammo, the problem is that it won't operate a semi-auto reliably. Bolt action or revolver no problem, but not a semi-auto. I find the bullet drop is about 1.5 time more for the longer shots.

Comment

you'd have to know the range and there could be zero wind or mirage. I've done this sort of thing on floating bottles with .22lr pistols and there's way too much missing done to make it viable for anything but enterainment. A .22lr rifle IS still lethal, by Army standards, at 150 yds. it's still got 60 ft lbs. left out there. It can probably inflict serious wounds at 200m and maybe kill with throat or eye hits at considerably longer ranges. But I bet a heavy coat would stop it penetrating your sternum at 400 yds, from a rifle, or 300 yds from a 4" barreled pistol, cause it's down to pellet gun type "power", 30 ft lbs and less.

Comment

Working...
                              X