Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wonder why there is no high performance 357 Mag commercial ammo loaded?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonder why there is no high performance 357 Mag commercial ammo loaded?

I am interested in learning about actual shooting scenarios anyone might know of where 357 Magnum failed to do the job? I note that Winchester did not load a high performance round for 357 Mag but does for 380, 38, 40 and 45 so logically they figured the 357 Mag didn't need any help?

I am only aware of five shootings with 357 Mag. One was a hand-load round I loaded and friend drove past a gas station one night and saw a robbery in progress so he turned around, came back and killed engine as he rolled into lot and was waiting for the guy when he backed out the door. He turned to fire at my friend and he got my handload as a reward. 158 gr. Lyman 357446 on top of 15 gr. 2400. Then in Asheville, NC beat cop ran a guy into a restaurant where guy turned on him with a kitchen knife and took a round of 357 Mag AP ammo, went through him and took out a cast iron stove behind him but shootee survived and sent to jail. The third a buddy answered a domestic call and they had to fight this guy. My buddy got knocked out and when he came to he saw his partner was down and guy was coming for him and he put a 125 gr. 357 Mag round in him and they found the bullet on the ground 15 feet behind him. Shootee dropped immediately and lost five feet of intestines when they got him to surgery. Fourth was a Chief of Police shot a guy twice with a 357 and one went to morgue and two behind him to hospital. The fifth was a priest was giving a guy last rites in Korea and noted a North Korean running at him with a bayonet so the priest removed a 6" Mod 27 from shoulder holster of Marine he was giving rites to and shot the NK who immediately went down and priest replaced the weapon in shoulder holster and moved to next guy needing rites.

I remember from our 357 Revolver testing at FLETC that 125 grain magnum had more noticeable recoil than the 158 gr magnum loads.

There were two rounds Fackler really like in 357 that were commercially produced. A Remington 125 gr scalloped jacket and the Winchester 145 gr Silvertip. In my 6" GP in my pickup I have 145 Silvertips.

I am interested in knowing of any other scenarios, especially someone that took multiple shots from 357 Mag before they got the word.
    Last edited by Hummer; 07-23-2018, 08:34 AM.
    Distinguished Rifleman High Power , Distinguished Rifleman Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), Palma Teams Member (2), Dewar Teams Member (2), Member 4 Man National Championship Smallbore AnySight Team, Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Proving Ground , Eagle Scout, AC4HT, NRA Benefactor Member, Firefighter I, Shriner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd also be interested in hearing similar of any relating to the .357Sig round. This seems like an excellent round but never seemed to catch on. As I understand it, that round is to nearly have the same energy of a .357Mag. Hummer, care to share any light on that?
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Country Guy, the 357 SIG struck me immediately as a potential headache. I can't remember anyone I knew ever having or wanting one. Never saw any ammo for sale for one around here anyhow.
      Distinguished Rifleman High Power , Distinguished Rifleman Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), Palma Teams Member (2), Dewar Teams Member (2), Member 4 Man National Championship Smallbore AnySight Team, Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Proving Ground , Eagle Scout, AC4HT, NRA Benefactor Member, Firefighter I, Shriner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
      X