No announcement yet.

Home made AR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shorter barrels are still legal, if they have a "permanently attached" flashhider, making the OAL 16" or longer. Most such hiders are welded onto the barrels. A few, back in the day, were pinned and silver-soldered. The weld is so perfect that you'd swear that the barrel and hider are made of a single piece of steel, by looking at them.

Comment

Midway USA has the parts for 49.95

Comment

Originally posted by Nomadnailer View Post
        Midway USA has the parts for 49.95
        You might want to check that add again. It may say lower kit, or something similar. I build a "few" AR's and never got that mailer or e-mail from Midway. SURE would like to though! That be a $1000.00 well spent. LOL! :)

Dale

Comment

I have built five AR's now from 80% lowers....they all run 100% and just got my SBR Stamp back from ATF, built a 10.5 inch 5.56 and it turned out so well gonna do a 7.5 inch version.....only way to build......old thread I know, but I have been busy and have not posted much....

Comment

I am quite concerned with the current positioning regarding gun control and seizure of legally purchased weapons by law abiding citizens. Seeking advise to build an unregistered AR15 - want to purchase quality legal components as assembled as possible.

Comment

I use Tactical Machining 80% lowers, I also use there Jig.....a Good drill press and a Dremel tool is all you need IF you follow the steps and take your time. It will seem daunting at first, but patience is the Key.....You can buy a complete upper or assemble your own ( very easy to build a Upper ) buy a Lower & Jig ....Lower parts kit and your choice of stock...Youtube has 100's of videos on building them....well worth the time and effort....

Comment

Gonna put this here and most likely I'll direct it to Dale. I've been thinking of trying my first AR build but to be honest I'm not sure where to start. I don't want to break the bank and there seem to be so many options and brands out there I'm wondering how I should choose whose components or kits to buy or not buy and which ones shouldn't be mixed. I'd like to build a 7.62 or 6.5 someday but not sure those are done much in this homebrew genre. So guess it'll be 5.56 to cut my teeth and get good at it.

Last thing I want to end up with is a franken-rifle that I've got more money in than I could have bought a rifle for and that's a POS. Ideally I'd like to get it figured out on my first one so that I can then have my girls both build ones with me to be their own and to have something special that was a Dad/ Daughter thing. Then when the boys get older do the same with them.

A few other questions. With the price for many AR's back down under the $400-600 range, does a home built still make dollar sense? Might I be better off to get a Wyndm or Ruger and then work with them tearing it down to tune things and customize it with near hardware? Do y'all buy pre-finished components or do you finish them at home with something like cerakote/ Or would that be a bit to ambitious the first go around?

Thanks for any thoughts.
                I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
                  Gonna put this here and most likely I'll direct it to Dale. I've been thinking of trying my first AR build but to be honest I'm not sure where to start. I don't want to break the bank and there seem to be so many options and brands out there I'm wondering how I should choose whose components or kits to buy or not buy and which ones shouldn't be mixed. I'd like to build a 7.62 or 6.5 someday but not sure those are done much in this homebrew genre. So guess it'll be 5.56 to cut my teeth and get good at it.

Last thing I want to end up with is a franken-rifle that I've got more money in than I could have bought a rifle for and that's a POS. Ideally I'd like to get it figured out on my first one so that I can then have my girls both build ones with me to be their own and to have something special that was a Dad/ Daughter thing. Then when the boys get older do the same with them.

A few other questions. With the price for many AR's back down under the $400-600 range, does a home built still make dollar sense? Might I be better off to get a Wyndm or Ruger and then work with them tearing it down to tune things and customize it with near hardware? Do y'all buy pre-finished components or do you finish them at home with something like cerakote/ Or would that be a bit to ambitious the first go around?

Thanks for any thoughts.
                  Country, Your asking for a Christmas list. LOL! I'll help you all I can. My first question would be do you have some armorers tools, like a AR15 wrench, vice blocks and simple hand tools? If you have these a full build is no problem. For the tightest lower/upper fit you can purchase a matched receiver set. Aero precision, Spikes and Anderson all sell good ones but budget will be the deciding factor. I tend to skimp on receivers and put the most money into my barrel. The better the barrel, the more accurate the rifle. I consider Noveske and Wilson Tactical as top line but there are way more choices. Building an AR15 is pretty much the same as an AR10 build, so that will be your choice. What are you primarily wanting the rifle for? Also, are you wanting a rifle, carbine or a pistol? I just recently finished an AR15 pistol upper in 300 BLK so I can use the same lower my MK18 is on. It cost me about $250 with getting the barrel on sale a long while back and that is a 10.5 inch barrel. Most all AR receivers are hard phosphate finished to what's called military specifications. Many of Aero precisions offerings are Cerakote finished in assorted colors. This company is one I use for many build purchases - https://www.primaryarms.com/ and I also use https://www.midwayusa.com/ and https://www.brownells.com/aspx/ppc/d...ithing%20Tools

If your just wanting a cheap plunker that you don't expect a lot from as cheap as some are right now I'd just buy one and customize it.

Let me know how I can help.

Dale

Comment

My questions include the following:

Why and AR vice an AK? AK has better stopping power 123gm vice 62gm. Parts and ammo are all over the internet.

If looking for usage issues (Range time) That is more important then build or buy a set rifle. Unless you get a great warranty !

Comment

Originally posted by RICHFL View Post
                      My questions include the following:

Why and AR vice an AK? AK has better stopping power 123gm vice 62gm. Parts and ammo are all over the internet.

If looking for usage issues (Range time) That is more important then build or buy a set rifle. Unless you get a great warranty !
                      Why an AR? as they say "cause that's what I want..." I'm used to the platform and this being America they are everywhere. I get what you're saying on the AK stop power and I'm not ruling out to someday to build one of those too. But don't fret, I do have an AK hanging around here too. But I'd prefer to get my girls started with an AR since it's a little lighter in the recoil department and a little less crude in the manufacturing quality and should require a lot less massaging when we build it. Since the AR is a bit more like a snap together model car thought this might be best low stress route for all involved. I do understand the sloppy tolerances in AK's can benefit unless you get to much slop...

Rich, have you built AK's from scratch? If so, any idea on what total cost would be to put together a decent quality gun?

Originally posted by dalewick View Post

Country, Your asking for a Christmas list. LOL! I'll help you all I can. My first question would be do you have some armorers tools, like a AR15 wrench, vice blocks and simple hand tools? If you have these a full build is no problem. For the tightest lower/upper fit you can purchase a matched receiver set. Aero precision, Spikes and Anderson all sell good ones but budget will be the deciding factor. I tend to skimp on receivers and put the most money into my barrel. The better the barrel, the more accurate the rifle. I consider Noveske and Wilson Tactical as top line but there are way more choices. Building an AR15 is pretty much the same as an AR10 build, so that will be your choice. What are you primarily wanting the rifle for? Also, are you wanting a rifle, carbine or a pistol? I just recently finished an AR15 pistol upper in 300 BLK so I can use the same lower my MK18 is on. It cost me about $250 with getting the barrel on sale a long while back and that is a 10.5 inch barrel. Most all AR receivers are hard phosphate finished to what's called military specifications. Many of Aero precisions offerings are Cerakote finished in assorted colors. This company is one I use for many build purchases - https://www.primaryarms.com/ and I also use https://www.midwayusa.com/ and https://www.brownells.com/aspx/ppc/d...ithing%20Tools

If your just wanting a cheap plunker that you don't expect a lot from as cheap as some are right now I'd just buy one and customize it.

Let me know how I can help.

Dale

Ho Ho Ho indeed...

I don't have any armorer tools beyond a gunsmith bit driver set though I do have quite a few of your standard mechanics hand tools and some torque wrenches and I can borrow a torque screwdriver from work if needed. I'm ok with buying an AR wrench and vice blocks for the upper and lower.

Overall for the first few builds it's about the learning and spending time together. But also want them to understand the options and features and how all those things impact the final product. I'm not looking to necessarily build tack driver but if I can get a reasonable amount of accuracy for a little extra $ I'd go that route. Most critical though, whatever we build needs to be completely dependable & reliable.

Most likely looking to go carbine maybe a rifle but I'm going to try to let them guide what they want. Like do they want A type front post or no and just a gas block. What's your thoughts on the Cerakote? I've got a DPMS which is mil-spec with the obligatory phosphate coating. I do like the cool designs I've seen done in the ceramic coatings though and I know that stuff can be crazy tough.

I get where you are on the cheap plinker route too. Looking at some of the Del-Ton, Diamondback and even the Ruger AR556 and S&W M&P15's running between $420 and $550 it's kind of hard to think I can build one for that price. Maybe I buy a complete off the shelf and then let them Barbie accessorize them but have them do the work. Things like changing furniture, maybe do a trigger upgrades and the like so they understand the workings. In the mean time I shop the clearance bins and pick up bits and pieces to put together a full gun.

I have more questions and directions than I know where to start or money than I have to chase them. I'm gonna do some checking on the links and companies you mentioned an see what I can find. I'm thinking it's going to be hard to put something together from pieces for under $500 that would be equivalent to a lot of the factory builds off the shelf.

Anyone have any experience with some of the lower cost brands like those above or Anderson; Windham (which is the old original Bushmaster company) Stag. Again thanks for all the help and guidance.
                      I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

I have not built from scratch a AK yet. But I have replaced many parts including going to an american made piston system for recoil. I was raised (Military) on the AR but the round is just too light. Before you get into spending money do some history research as to why the military bought the 5.56 and the AR system.

Comment

Working...
                        X